• Total voters

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I've bought ex-rental cars before, never had a problem. Like has been said, they are well maintained and if they offer a warranty no reason to pay more.

If you spend any time on this forum you will find that many beat the snot out of their non-rental cars. One owner does not mean babied.

Enjoy your car.
Sponsored

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
I have driven more than one rental Mustang and Camaro. Drove each one like I stole it. I would have given that car a hard pass.

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Hi guys.

I've been a Mustang guy for years and years, and with the exception of my '66 project that has been... "progressing" for 10+ years, I haven't owned one until recently.

On Saturday I picked up a Ford Gold-Certified 2020 GT Premium in Magnetic Gray (3rd favorite color) for $34k. She has 41k miles and several small dings. Interior is perfect, it rides and drives well, CarFax is clean... except that I recently found out it was a formal rental car in Florida. The car has no other options, aside form A10 and spare tire. Still, the certified status puts it with a 100k mile powertrain warranty that doesn't expire until 2027, which is quite nice.

Before settling on this car, I had inquired at a different dealership about a 2019 GT Premium. Kona Blue (my favorite color), PP1, 401A, used (not certified), 19k miles, asking $43k. Two owners and one accident reported ("minor" with front/rear damage). PP1 is what initially drew me to it, but it's more than I really wanted to spend and who knows if the accident will come back to bite me later. In addition to the 401A package, and PP1 It also has the Safe and Smart package, for what it's worth.

There's also another 2019 GT Premium that's local. Used/not certified, 14k miles, Kona Blue, 401A, Safe and Smart package (no PP1), $43k. 1 owner and no accidents. The low miles is great, but it is also a model year older than what I have. It's similar to the other Kona Blue car above, except it lacks PP1, one fewer owner (resale value), and no accident reported. If this car had PP1 for the asking price, I'd be all over it.

While I'm thrilled to have a MY2020 even though the mileage is a bit higher, and $34k is a much easier pill to swallow than $43k, I keep second-guessing my decision. I'd like to get some opinions. Would the Ford Gold-Certified status sway you to that vehicle? Would it matter to you at all? Would the extra $9k be worth it to you for 20-25k less miles (although 1 year older), 401A, and other goodies? Would you consider the car with the accident reported at all? Would you consider the former rental car at all, even if it's Gold certified?

Supposedly the Gold certification comes with a 14-day/1000 mile money-back guarantee, so if it actually works the way it sound it does, I still have one more week to return my 2020 and cringe at the extra payments on one of the other two vehicles.

Unfortunately none of the three vehicles mentioned have Magneride or active exhaust - two options that I'd really like to have but can't justify the $ for at this time.

Thanks for your opinions everyone.
I would never buy a Florida rental car especially a GT. If I had that rental it got bald tires back.

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
Just because it has a clean carfax doesn’t mean it hasn’t been in an accident.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
It's not really your hot rod if you are buying cars with transmissions your wife wants.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Curse The Sky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, 1999 F-350 7.3PSD
It's not really your hot rod if you are buying cars with transmissions your wife wants.
You're absolutely right; it's not my hot rod at all. It's ours, because that's how it works in our relationship - by my choice. My wife is an excellent driver and enjoys the chance to push it from time to time as well. Even if the manual trans was my preference, I'd much rather get the auto so we can both have fun. The look on the face of people when they realize it was my wife driving as we fly by them is worth it every time. Besides, the F-350 diesel we bought as her dream vehicle has gone on more errands for my stuff than anything she's needed it for... so far. And she has no issues with that.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You're absolutely right; it's not my hot rod at all. It's ours, because that's how it works in our relationship - by my choice. My wife is an excellent driver and enjoys the chance to push it from time to time as well. Even if the manual trans was my preference, I'd much rather get the auto so we can both have fun. The look on the face of people when they realize it was my wife driving as we fly by them is worth it every time. Besides, the F-350 diesel we bought as her dream vehicle has gone on more errands for my stuff than anything she's needed it for... so far. And she has no issues with that.
Exactly as it should be in a healthy relationship. Which is something your garden variety misogynist cannot understand.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
The vote count is interesting. Too late to return the car? Hopefully you find peace with your decision. They all seem like good mustangs.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The vote count is interesting. Too late to return the car? Hopefully you find peace with your decision. They all seem like good mustangs.
Not sure why the vote is interesting, it's exactly what I expected. Most people on this forum are rental/ accident phobic. It shows up anytime this kind of question pops up.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Not sure why the vote is interesting, it's exactly what I expected. Most people on this forum are rental/ accident phobic. It shows up anytime this kind of question pops up.
It's "interesting" because his choice is the least voted for.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
One good thing about a rental is you know it’s never been modified. There are plenty of horror stories of cars poorly tuned or modded or had a supercharger pulled off prior to trading in. Enjoy your car op just don’t mod it to protect that great warranty you have and roll on. :)

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'd keep the gray 2020 you already have and there's nothing wrong with your decision. The $9K difference buys a lot of (off-warranty) repairs, if they're ever needed.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Buyers remorse is a common thing. You search through hundreds of used cars with different colors,options, miles, and history. You finally pick 1. You take it home and start thinking about the other runner ups... did I choose wisely? The answer is probably yes, unless you did no comparisons and simply picked the first one you saw.

I bought my 2017 GT used. If you call 1800 miles used. I only regretted the MT once stuck in stop/go traffic for an hour. Went to a lighter clutch spring after that. And the color black is a job in an arid dusty environment. Still I love it everytime I get in it to drive. Cars are not life decisions. You pick one and you go with it until you see something better.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I would never buy a rental car from my past experiences. I would rent a car every year to drive from Oklahoma to Virginia for the holidays. I always check all fluid levels and tire pressure and they would be dangerously off. Seeing over a quart low on oil with 18 lb. of air in the tires told me most rentals aren't serviced worth a crap. And as far as the warranty goes I don't want my car sitting in a shop waiting for weeks for a part because of supply chain issues.
Sponsored