shootnjunky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
23 Mach 1 HP
Ok, so new to this platform.

Love the car, hate how I sit in it. I need the seats to be like 2" lower and about 2" further back. I am 6'4 and really hate feeling like I am sitting on top of the car

I have the stock comfort seats. I tried the recaro's and wasn't any different I don't think, but wanted to hear from others before I order 3k worth of seats.

I also was looking at a set of used gt350 recaros.

Worse case I guess I would install a set of recaro sportster seats and try and figure out the nannies.

Thoughts from others? Anyone figured or done a seat base modification for this issue?
Sponsored

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
This is just my opinion of course, but I think your height has more to do with the discomfort you're feeling as opposed to the seats themselves. It's no secret that the S550 Mustang is not the most spacious/comfortable vehicle for taller drivers. Plus, it's also known that the chassis/seating arrangement places drivers more "on top of" the car, as opposed to "inside of" the car like Corvettes or other true sports cars do. I'm 5' 10", and the seats/height feel great to me. I would imagine if I was 6" taller though, I'd probably feel too cramped in the car to be happy.

You can try buying different seats, but you're not going to get them much lower than they already are unless you went with some that don't have power adjustment, heating and cooling in them. Even with that, you're probably only going to get an extra couple inches at most, which may be enough for you. As far as moving them further back, I'm afraid the back seat location may be the determining factor in that endeavor.

GTP-J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 -F150 EcoBoost 2022 Mach 1
I have the Recaros and at 6-1 also feel the seating position is too high. These seats have a manual height adjustment with a limited range. So, doubt that would help you much. Interested to hear if you find a solution. I only drive mine occasionally and tolerate it, but would like to be able to sit lower.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
You wanna sit lower? Put some aftermarket racing seats in them.. 6ā€™3ā€ here and I feel much more in tune with the car now. šŸ˜Ž

mustangman02232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1990 Ford F-350, 1997 kenworth
Iā€™d like for them to be a smidge lower as well, but still light years ahead of my termi though so Iā€™ll take it

Sponsored

OP
OP

shootnjunky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
23 Mach 1 HP
I think there is a difference for sure between the comfort heat/cooled seats in height and the recaro's. I sat in one yesterday with the recaro's and I am at least half an inch to an inch lower. but it could be the difference of mine is only 1500 mi of driving and his had 15k.

Going to keep researching. I know I can go aftermarket, just trying to avoid so I don't have to hack up harnesses and such

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
GT350 seats are the same, youā€™ll have the same problem

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
GT350 seats are the same, youā€™ll have the same problem
Yes, you really have to go with aftermarket seats and mounts to go lower. The GT350 Recaros are also substantially narrower than the standard seats or GT Recaros. Which is an issue if you are Big & Tall rather than tall and skinny.

With airbag equipped seats this is more complicated than in the old days, and a lot of people shy away from it. I am surprised some clever company hasn't sprung up to build lower aftermarket seat mounts that keep the stock seats.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
This has been frustrating me since day 1. I'm 6' but have short legs and very long upper torso so I sit high in the car. (I wear 30" inseam jeans and sometimes they are too long lol) I also like to sit upright and close to the wheel (habit from autocrossing as a kid). I have a 700A car with heated and cooled seats and there is just enough room for me to do this. My helmet (only autox'd 3 times) rubs the headliner some. I'm considering making my own custom seat mounts even if I only gain 1/2-1" clearance. I did find an obscure thread where someone modified the factory seat slider and gained I think an inch but it removed a stop that prevents you from having interference when lowering. I'm thinking of doing that and relying on the memory to keep it from going too low.

I drove an M1 at the track attack with the Recaro seats and although still too high, felt like they have 3/4-1" more headroom. I don't know about GT350 Recaro's, but the M1 ones are fine for a bigger wider guy, contrary to what you read online.
Sponsored