SCT vs HPT and switching tuners

Bonedizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I have some general questions and maybe a unique situation.

First, if using an HPT RTD, it is my understanding that the device needs credits to register to your vehicle.
If I was to switch tuners, do I need to purchase additional credits? My first thought is no, but I want to confirm.

So, if I have a "Tuner A" branded RTD with tunes, I am able to just get tunes from "Tuner B" without buying 4 more credits, correct?

Also, I was originally tuned using an SCT device. When following the 1 page instructions from my tuner, no where did it say to download and save the stock tune file. So I didn't.
My SCT device then bricked itself. So I have no stock tune file.
Most places I am reading are saying they want a stock tune file loaded before loading the tune from the RTD.

How is this going to work? Even if I did have a stock tune file saved, I would have no way of loading it back to the car, because the SCT device is broken.
Do I need to send it in for repair ($200) and hope they can recover my stock tune file? I am waiting for a call back from their tech support site, where I will pose these questions to SCT.

I hope my tuner is able to just give me a RTD tune without me having to revert to stock. I mean, they tuned the car originally anyway. I will let you guys know when I know, but with no phone number to call and email responses taking 3+ business days, who knows.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think worst case is you go to Ford and have them re-flash your stock tune. This might be cheaper than getting a stock tune off the HPT web site. I think it is minimum 300 dollars to get it this way. Ford I think is 150 at least it is here in NKY.

If SCT can restore your device it will cost 200 but you could then sell the device to get some back.

Depending on mods, Ford and a tow home is what I'd do. If your mods are easily removed then Ford and drive it home. This way you know you have a good stock tune for your tuner to start from.

OP
OP

Bonedizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
SCT got back to me. If they are unable to fix my device and have to send a new one, then they would load some sort of recovery file using my VIN onto it to get me a stock tune.

I will probably send it in, as I am sure I could sell the unlocked device.

Now, as to whether I need to do this to get my first map installed for the HP RTD, who knows. Still nothing from the tuner.

J2t_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
From my experience buying a used car with an unknown tune, I bought the SCT tuner and no tuners were able to do anything unless it was stock. Since I had upgrades requiring a tune, I opted out of going the Ford Stealership route and worked with SCT. They were able to provide me with a stock tune file to upload so I could get the car re-tuned.

OP
OP

Bonedizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
From my experience buying a used car with an unknown tune, I bought the SCT tuner and no tuners were able to do anything unless it was stock. Since I had upgrades requiring a tune, I opted out of going the Ford Stealership route and worked with SCT. They were able to provide me with a stock tune file to upload so I could get the car re-tuned.
Only wrinkle with me is that my tuner tuned me with the SCT first, and now I am switching to the RTD, while using the same tuner (for now). You would think they would be able to get me a tune for my car using the other device, but who knows.

I officially have my RTD in hand, and still nothing on instructions from my tuner on what to do, even though I emailed them about the switch with order number at 9:45am last Thursday. I can't believe people do business like this honestly.

Sponsored

J2t_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Only wrinkle with me is that my tuner tuned me with the SCT first, and now I am switching to the RTD, while using the same tuner (for now). You would think they would be able to get me a tune for my car using the other device, but who knows.

I officially have my RTD in hand, and still nothing on instructions from my tuner on what to do, even though I emailed them about the switch with order number at 9:45am last Thursday. I can't believe people do business like this honestly.
Wow thats deff not good business. I am not sure if RTD has that ability I have no experience with their products. Im hoping SCT can get you up and running with that emailed stock file (with a working SCT) and you can get to business. Is it a local tuner?

OP
OP

Bonedizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
lol, no. Ortiz Performance. Good and well known enough for @beefcake to sell on his website.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Maybe Terry can get them to move a bit faster for you?

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
tickets go in the order they are in, but we are always happy to assist where we can

OP
OP

Bonedizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I did not buy from beefcake, i bought from the Ortiz website directly. I was just saying that they are "reputable" enough to be carried by one of the biggest aftermarket mustang parts houses.

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ortiz doesn't usually take long too long to reply back unless you keep sending emails. I don't know how their system works but I've heard for a year now that multiple emails resets your place in the queue with each new one.
You could try and tag whoever you normally talk to for help on their Facebook customer page. I think they have someone keep an eye on it.

I know it's late for you but for anyone else with an SCT device, save your stock file. I've got mine saved on my pc and in a couple of cloud services.

OP
OP

Bonedizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Ortiz doesn't usually take long too long to reply back unless you keep sending emails. I don't know how their system works but I've heard for a year now that multiple emails resets your place in the queue with each new one.
You could try and tag whoever you normally talk to for help on their Facebook customer page. I think they have someone keep an eye on it.

I know it's late for you but for anyone else with an SCT device, save your stock file. I've got mine saved on my pc and in a couple of cloud services.
Good to know, I guess.... Maybe that is what is happening to me.

As for the stock tune file, wouldn't you need to still have a working SCT device to get it back on your car?

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Good to know, I guess.... Maybe that is what is happening to me.

As for the stock tune file, wouldn't you need to still have a working SCT device to get it back on your car?
Yes, you would need a working device. Having a backup of the file just makes it easier in case of a broken, lost or stolen device.
Sponsored