Sponsored

Scissor Jack Lift Height

NCS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco PP
Anyone know or willing to measure lifting height of Ford scissor jack for S550? I’m looking to add a scissor jack to trunk with Automotive Authority spare, and the $100 price for Fords part HR3Z-17080-A
just seems too high when generic scissor jacks average $25-30 (lifting height of about 15”).
Sponsored

OP
OP

NCS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco PP
Never mind, seems any of the generic Manual scissor jacks that lift 15” is sufficient.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Ton-Auto...569811&hash=item1ce9723b52:g:SWEAAOSwmjdesBLF

I have 5 cars under my care and I have three of these noted above and two duralast brand. I got these because of the very bad experiece I had with my factory GM scissor jack that came with my CTSv. After that I went with a 3 ton min type jack and the battery power is just because I am lazy. I should note that I have a 1/2" drive low cost autozone torque wrench and proper deep socket in each car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

NCS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco PP
Is the deep (vs a standard) 21mm socket really necessary?

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Is the deep (vs a standard) 21mm socket really necessary?
Most dont, but I would rather have a deep one and not need it, then need it and not have it

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You don't need a deep socket... but you do need a small extension if using a ratchet. Most lug nut/bolt sockets are deep ones, but they have 2 different sizes, so they're like a regular socket welded back to back. If you have a Gorilla telescopic wrench (or similar), they already have an 'extension' built into it, so no need for one with those. They also come with the correct socket for our cars, which is 13/16s. A 21mm socket also fits, but somewhat loose, so it's better to have the 13/16, especially if you plan to torque the lug nuts to 150 ft/lbs (I use 120 myself).

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The big "cheap-out" I see with most scissors jacks is they use a standard thread instead of the stronger Acme thread like scissors jacks used to have. Since I have a PP1 I don't have a Ford jack to check for thread type.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The big "cheap-out" I see with most scissors jacks is they use a standard thread instead of the stronger Acme thread like scissors jacks used to have. Since I have a PP1 I don't have a Ford jack to check for thread type.
For a tool that will be used only very seldom, or hopefully not at all, like the scissor jack in the trunk I don't see how cheaping out has a downside. As long as said tool is rated to safely do the job there should never be an issue.
Now if it's an every day tool that's going to see a lot of wear and tear, well, that changes the equation and you might want the better quality tool.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
For a tool that will be used only very seldom, or hopefully not at all, like the scissor jack in the trunk I don't see how cheaping out has a downside. As long as said tool is rated to safely do the job there should never be an issue.
Now if it's an every day tool that's going to see a lot of wear and tear, well, that changes the equation and you might want the better quality tool.
Some of the reviews of cheap scissors jacks complain that the jack broke during the first use or soon after. I bought one that had *only* 6% 1 star reviews, most of the failures indicate it was the screw thread. The rating of a scissors jack is considerably reduced at it's lowest height and that may be where the failures occur, that the jack is not rated for the load at that height.
We may be okay for our Mustangs at 4000 lb total. I tried my jack twice and it didn't break. :)

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I read some of the reviews as well. Some pretty bad ones for sure. The failures I read about seemed fairly evenly divided between thread failure, nut failure and collapsing sheetmetal.
I still feel like a less expensive jack would be fine for occasional use as long as it was a safe tool. Reading those reviews though the safe part might be elusive.
I've used my factory jack several times because right now it's quicker to grab it than dig out my floor jack. It's super easy to use with a small impact driver. At some point, after a few uses, the screw started to feel like it was binding. I put a thin layer of grease on the threads and it's been fine since.
I do wonder what the reviews would look like if it were on Amazon?

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I want to have a jack kit, even though I decided against a spare (at least for now). Also want the least bulky solution, since it's probably never going to be used. I liked that kit posted above with electric jack, compressor, impact wrench, etc., but must weigh a lot. And it's bulky too. Anyway, going back to jacks, I like the one offered by AA (along their spare), since it's hollowed most of the way, but wonder if that weight reduction is actually safe or not. Looks just like a Ford jack, but hollowed. Maybe the threads are less sturdy too. I thought about that kit because it's $89 when purchased with a spare. My email asking if it can be purchased separately was never replied to, in typical crappy customer service fashion. And the Ford one costs an arm and a leg, so will probably look for a used one that has actually never been used, and call it a day.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The part number for the ford jack by itself is HR3Z-17080-A. Type that into Google and you'll get several options. The least expensive I could find was $106.xx. That's not too far off $89 and you're getting a new Ford jack. Used ones are pretty scarce and as much or more than the new ones I found.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The part number for the ford jack by itself is HR3Z-17080-A. That's not too far off $89 and you're getting a new Ford jack.
Not quite. Ha ha. You need to add the lug wrench, and then shipping, and you're talking almost twice the price. When I added the other parts to secure them to the trunk, it was over 200 bucks. That's crazy. Guess I need to start hunting a used one, until I get one. Just like I did with the GT350 gauges, and landed one for $60 shipped. Wanted a new one, but no way I was going to pay over $600, with the newly added core fee. But thank you for posting the part number, for others who might need it. The lug wrench p/n is: FR3Z-17032-A. And the lug wrench retainer p/n is: ES7Z-17091-A. And finally, the storage compartment retainer p/n is: ES7Z-1424-A.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know or willing to measure lifting height of Ford scissor jack for S550? I’m looking to add a scissor jack to trunk with Automotive Authority spare, and the $100 price for Fords part HR3Z-17080-A
just seems too high when generic scissor jacks average $25-30 (lifting height of about 15”).

I just ordered the Automotive Authority spare, kit. I looked some cause they wanted 100 more for the full kit.

Looking at the jacks offered decided Automotive Authority was better quality (easily seen) than what's on the market.

Then the surprise, placing the order got a discount. Knocked the price of the jack down to 50 bucks.

Conclusion............ buy the kit get a good quality jack, for the same $$$$$ as the crap found at amozombie and eBay.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Not quite. Ha ha. You need to add the lug wrench, and then shipping, and you're talking almost twice the price. When I added the other parts to secure them to the trunk, it was over 200 bucks. That's crazy. Guess I need to start hunting a used one, until I get one. Just like I did with the GT350 gauges, and landed one for $60 shipped. Wanted a new one, but no way I was going to pay over $600, with the newly added core fee. But thank you for posting the part number, for others who might need it. The lug wrench p/n is: FR3Z-17032-A. And the lug wrench retainer p/n is: ES7Z-17091-A. And finally, the storage compartment retainer p/n is: ES7Z-1424-A.
I got a spare kit from a 2020 Explorer for $179 shipped. The jack fits perfectly in the Mustang spare tire well in its foam thingy (under the explorer spare) without any modifications needed. It didn't come with a lug wrench though, so I got a cheap breaker bar and zip tied it to the jack so it wouldn't move around. I also put a razor blade in the foam so I can remove said zip ties if I ever need to use it. Explorer spare is 27 and 1/2 or so inches in diameter so it's safe to use on the rear axle. Doesn't clear the front brakes on any trim level though.

Check ebay, there's a company on there that sells used spare tires and equipment from wrecked stuff for cheap. The Automotive authority kit is by far the best as far as quality and ease of use because it clears the front brakes, but I had a hard time justifying paying that much for something I don't intend to use unless I absolutely need to. If I blow a tire in town I'm just calling roadside assistance. If I'm dozens of miles from civilization with nobody around then I'm not bothered about moving wheels around to get home.
Sponsored