Not open for further replies.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
Mustang almost became the Probe back in 88-89. :headbonk:
The S650 would reappear as a Lincoln XR7 ? :D

IMHO, the "death" of the S650 doesn't mean the death of the Mustang. There might simply be a stepback/reassessment/regrouping of the direction of where a future Mustang needs to go, and a different development project might still emerge (called S650, or called some else (S651?)).

The "death" of the V8, might have more to do with what direction Ford's trucks go, in the next decade. If there is no need for any V8 to support the trucks by 2029, then, IMHO, the Mustang on its own couldn't support keeping a V8 around. The coyote V8 will be replaced with the hamster V2. :bolt:
Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I’m convinced there will be another generation of mustang but I don’t think it will be in 2021.
It’s a hard time for Ford. The platform is old and not shared. Trends are rapidly moving towards fully electric. If Ford has any sense they will eek out the S550 a few yrs longer and develop a properly next gen fully electric Tesla like platform on which they can build suv, mid size sedan/estate, and coupe models.
Ie skip the short lived intermediate platform between gasoline and electric.
Hybrid platforms are a packaging compromise that will fill a short gap and will burden any new platform with technical debt, and it would be suicidal for Ford to start work on a new gasoline only, multi model, rwd platform these days.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Trends are rapidly moving towards fully electric. If Ford has any sense they will.....develop a properly next gen fully electric Tesla like platform on which they can build suv, mid size sedan/estate, and coupe models.
No, trends are not "moving rapidly towards fully electric".

P.C. Greenies have it in their minds, but it's nothing but a fantasy. All the Euro country's are enacting "feel-good" legislation of outlawing ICEs, but it will all be repealed eventually. No country is even close to producing enough electricity to supply large fleets of EVs. And I know of no country that's going to start spending trillions on building huge numbers of nuclear plants and massive additions to their power grids. It's not going to happen.

EVs are a stop on a trip headed somewhere else. Maybe hydrogen, I don't know. But EVs are not even remotely the answer.

gt4urass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Meh...not buying it. In the second posted article, Ford was clearly eluding stating where production of the Fusion would continue, but not that it would no longer be produced... In any event, a delay of S650 means little to the Mustang nameplate/livelihood.

Blue 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
i love how there is such a big push for EV cars however you still have to charge them by "plugging" them into the grid to charge. And where does this power come from? electricity plants which are mostly fueled by coal. if you ramp up the EV production, then you would in turn have to ramp up the coal burning to have enough electricity to charge them, and in turn causing just as much environmental damage.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The website may be, but the main claim...
If the website can’t be trusted, that throws out the validity of the claim too if they’re the only ones reporting it. Sure, Hackett doesn’t sound like a ball of fun but I still doubt this heavily until someone with some weight backs it up.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just feel like ford is heading in a bad direction... With the death of the Fiesta and Fusion, and the slow sales/imminent death of the Taurus, our only options for cars will be the Focus and the Mustang. That sounds great right now, but what about when we hit another recession or fuel crisis? Everybody is going to be wanting small cars or, if they have a family, mid-size sedans. I think this plan would work for a few years if they implemented it right now, but as soon as our country hits another economic low spot, the company will be doomed because they've put all their efforts into developing vehicles that just won't sell in that situation.

There's something to be said about "Putting all your eggs in one basket"

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
i love how there is such a big push for EV cars however you still have to charge them by "plugging" them into the grid to charge. And where does this power come from? electricity plants which are mostly fueled by coal. if you ramp up the EV production, then you would in turn have to ramp up the coal burning to have enough electricity to charge them, and in turn causing just as much environmental damage.
In America you’re right and I agree 100%. I’m not in Europe so maybe some of our European friends can chime in but I thought a lot of Europe was producing a majority of their electricity with solar, wind and water. I think this is why the the European car companies are diving in head-first on EVs. Also because China is heading that way and that market is huge and only getting bigger.

I think America will be an outlier. I think most of what I’ve seen says 25% of cars will be EV in 10 years here. That I can believe and if adoption stays that slow, power companies can keep up. But at that pace, we’ll all at least be retired by the time the gas engine finally dies, barring any government mandates before then.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If the website can’t be trusted, that throws out the validity of the claim too if they’re the only ones reporting it. Sure, Hackett doesn’t sound like a ball of fun but I still doubt this heavily until someone with some weight backs it up.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car

I said that once publicly and then a guy posted a link that showed I was wrong, coal generation of power is way down in the US of A not the Number 1 source any more, and non-existent in most of Canada. But lots of power is generated by burning fossil fuels which still adds to the problem. And nukes? Jury is still out on them when you factor in the de-commissioning costs and potential risks down the road they are actually not cheap at all. The only clean and reliable power is hydro power, the rest is dependent on wind, sun, whatever and can't be relied on.

I think the whole EV thing is a disaster in the making, at least in the near future, totally not well thought out at all in terms of powering them and building the massive infrastructure needed.

And if Ford doesn't make a new Mustang I won't much care, I've already got one and at this point in time have no plans to part with it.

Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I can see this kind of short-sighted stupidity coming from Jim Hackett... like I said in another post, Hackett is not a car guy. He's a bean counter, a pure finance guy. He's not an engineer by training like Alan Mulally was. I think all Hackett knows is the "numbers". The Ford family gave him a clear mission and a single job objective: raise the stock price. As quickly as possible. At any cost. What the Ford family wants, they get (since they own 40% of the voting control of the company).

Mulally was an engineer by training. He was focused on the product, and appreciated that you need to actually invest if you want something to sell. He believed in long-range planning. Look at the good things he did for Boeing. We can thank him for the 550 Mustang.

Hackett isn't interested in the 'future' of Ford, or in anything remotely resembling long-range planning. Why should he be? I'm sure his yearly bonus is based on how much, and how quickly, he can pump up the stock price. It's as much the fault of the hedge funds and other institutional investors who own Ford stock. They don't want to invest for new products in 5 years. They want to cut costs now to have a short-term bump in profits. All they care about is the stock price TODAY. If any money is to be spent, Hackett will probably take the 'savings' from laying off engineers and use it to buy back stock.

That will make hedge funds, and the Ford family, happy with a short-term bump in the stock price. Of course, a few years down the road, with no new products to sell, corporate revenues, and the stock price, will decline. But Hackett will be long gone by then, will have sold off his stock options, and will be very comfortably retired.

I'm sure Hackett would be just as happy to discontinue every Ford product except the F150 truck. Don't hold your breath for anything requiring any kind of investment, like new products or significant improvements, as long as Hackett is CEO.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Oh my...TT, my heart skipped a beat when I saw the headline.

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
It’s no secret that Ford wants to cut 10% of the workforce and that was reported widely earlier this year. Cutting 10K development personnel/engineers gets them halfway there without getting into the US hourly employees covered under the CBA. The Board answers to the Street. There will always be a Mustang but the next platform/clean sheet is likely delayed.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
No, trends are not "moving rapidly towards fully electric".

P.C. Greenies have it in their minds, but it's nothing but a fantasy. All the Euro country's are enacting "feel-good" legislation of outlawing ICEs, but it will all be repealed eventually. No country is even close to producing enough electricity to supply large fleets of EVs. And I know of no country that's going to start spending trillions on building huge numbers of nuclear plants and massive additions to their power grids. It's not going to happen.

EVs are a stop on a trip headed somewhere else. Maybe hydrogen, I don't know. But EVs are not even remotely the answer.
Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that every auto manufacturer hasn't already offered (and plan to offer more) electric and hybrid vehicles. The speed at which manufacturers are moving to electric might be debatable but the fact that they are, is not. There are now multiple electric-only car manufacturers.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
It's too bad they killed Mercury. I would love to see a Mustang/Cougar pairing sharing the same platform and powertrain, but differing in styling and luxury.

Ditto with a prestige Lincoln on the same platform. Sharing amortization costs just makes sense, and I firmly believe there is a market for a US, RWD, prestige coupe as long as they could keep the pricing under $75,000.

There is a coupe market, but American manufacturers seem to not want to capitalize on it.

But a Mercury Cougar similar to the Mustang? Oh yes. I'm sure that the stylists could have some fun with that.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.