S550 pricing, what do you think?

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Just doing a head to head comparison, adjusted for inflation, a base GT isn't particularly insane in its price (in today's market). In 2000 I paid $24,000-ish for a new Camaro Z28 w/ T-tops, 6spd T56 (w/ Hurst option), 10-disc CD "Monsoon" audio, etc. Adjusted for inflation that puts it on the $38,000-ish range in today's dollars. But compared to prior generations, the special models of Mustang S550 are over the top expensive in my opinion. The differential is much higher now.

Specifically, the New Edge Mach 1 and Bullitt models were only moderately more expensive than a GT. Pretty much everyone cross-shopped a Mach1/Bullitt with a comparably-equipped GT. The Bullitt was literally just a GT with some very tasteful and mild mods done to it (and a unique intake manifold - good luck finding one now!) and the 03/04 Mach 1 was a GT with some unique cosmetics and a 2001 Cobra 4v engine. It was the bargain option that year (since the Terminator was sold at the same time).

Anyway. Just ordered a "base" GT (because I don't wear Gucci or sweat out $100 bills), but still lamenting how what used to be accessible special models are far out of reach for someone like me. I can sort-of understand it with the Shelby models, especially with limited production numbers, but the "Cobra" was never an upper tier "rich guy only" car, as the current Shelbys are.

So, what do you all think is the future on Mustang pricing? I know you can get a good bargain with an EcoBoost, and it's likely that the V8 will be scaled back considerably on the S650, so does that mean the Eco will no longer be a bargain option? Will another generation bring another big jump in window sticker and will the cheaper (EcoBoost) cars fill the spot of the "base" GT?
Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
The 2022 being identical to a 21 but is now $10k more. I would say things are going to stay high for a while. Prices seldom come down, especially with the current inflation.

The S550 offers far more refinement and upmarket options than previous yrs. GT stickers can have a $12k+ range from Base GT to a loaded premium. Used prices also reflect that.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
A $35k 2003 Terminator would be ~$50k today, so priced well below what a 2020 GT350 costs.

No doubt about it, pricing on these cars has gone up, however, so has performance. A 2021 Mach 1 would destroy the Terminator on track and has a nicer interior to boot.

Personally, I donā€™t see pricing on these cars going down for the remainder of the ICE cars production runs. With the loss of the Camaro and Challenger Ford has no competition in the segment and no incentive to roll back prices.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
A $35k 2003 Terminator would be ~$50k today, so priced well below what a 2020 GT350 costs.

No doubt about it, pricing on these cars has gone up, however, so has performance. A 2021 Mach 1 would destroy the Terminator on track and has a nicer interior to boot.

Personally, I donā€™t see pricing on these cars going down for the remainder of the ICE cars production runs. With the loss of the Camaro and Challenger Ford has no competition in the segment and no incentive to roll back prices.
Ah, but if you look at the earlier history you mentioned, with nobody to play with, Ford stepped up their game and while albeit a little chunky, started punching up. So the Terminator did a little more than wave goodbye, and Ford figured out that it was Corvette hunting season, albeit, a little chunky. So we carried on with the superchargers, and it didn't take too long for Corvette to get all this press about a glass window, and first ever supercharged Corvette from the factory! OMFG WOWZERS... and so the 532 or whatever hp was cute, and we blew kisses with 662hp on tap. I believe top speed was 200mph, but that was fun.

For the longest time, everybody said, but yeah, they can only go in a straight line though! Fucking Mustangs will never be as good as a M3! Oh? Enter the GT350. So yeah, the straight boys whined, but anybody with half a braincell knows the GT350 is downright lethal on the track, so much so that even the Porsche guys started switching over because it's what, 1/3 the price? The s550 platform changed things up, and so a simple Performance Pack GT can do pretty darn respectable on the track, and with an average driver, certainly hold its own and then some. So sure, the Camaro eventually came back whereas the TransAm did not, and yeah, their platform is rather stout and deadly on the track too, and perhaps it's arguably better stock for stock, but they had the benefit of watching the Mustang making sure everybody caught these hands. Dodge seems to just put a hellcat in everything, but they've got no aspiration of leaving the drag strip, woefully inadequate anywhere else, but in a way, they were never really in the game to begin with.

The next target would then somewhat dictate the price, here's hoping it's BMW's performance editions instead of really heavy Dodges, don't see them going after Corvettes since they're going mid-engine and chasing exotics.

Last edited:

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
If you want value ....buy used.... I was of driving age in the time of fox bodies..... rear drum brakes...spaghetti chassis .....4 lug wheels.....broken ash tray doors if you looked at them wrong......

Today's cars ate much closer to higher end cars in terms of quality and performance but that comes at a price....

I thought having the Focus/ Fiesta with the ST and RS packages was great for entry level performance....but with those gone..... I think used is your only option for entry level

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The 2022 being identical to a 21 but is now $10k more. I would say things are going to stay high for a while. Prices seldom come down, especially with the current inflation.
Huh? What are you comparing? There was no $10k price increase.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
You need to open your binders a little. The average car price, pre Covid, was $36k. This year it hit $41k over the summer and $45k in September. This is for all cars, not just Mustangs. When compared to the average car the Mustang falls right in line. A 450hp base GT is still under $40k. in todays market thatā€˜s still a value.

No one knows what the future will bring but history says a S650 will be marginally more expensive. Just like the S550 vs. the S197.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
You need to open your binders a little. The average car price, pre Covid, was $36k. This year it hit $41k over the summer and $45k in September. This is for all cars, not just Mustangs. When compared to the average car the Mustang falls right in line. A 450hp base GT is still under $40k. in todays market thatā€˜s still a value.

No one knows what the future will bring but history says a S650 will be marginally more expensive. Just like the S550 vs. the S197.
Under 40k for a new gt. not on your life. Maybe if the car inventory starts stacking up, and dealers are forced to remover the atm's and go back to dealing.
Time will tell. ALOT will depend on what the opinion of the next model is , If Buyers turn their nose up at it. the s550 pricing won't be dropping.
Frankly I don't care what "other" cars average price hovers at.
The problem is the Stangs fit and finish is trash for a 40-127k car. The guy that wants that 460+hp v8 looks the other way at this issue, but the general buying public does not.
I understand why it is, as the base car is 26k. But to most buyers they see a msrp of 45-52k for a gt and cringe .
The Stang is their only car left. hopefully the next gen car is better in fit and finish and alum parts not turning to dust.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
The problem is the Stangs fit and finish is trash for a 40-127k car. The guy that wants that 460+hp v8 looks the other way at this issue, but the general buying public does not.
I understand why it is, as the base car is 26k. But to most buyers they see a msrp of 45-52k for a gt and cringe .
The Stang is their only car left. hopefully the next gen car is better in fit and finish and alum parts not turning to dust.
I completely agree on the fit and finish on the interior, again I am comparing it unfavorably to my 2016 MX-5, which has a much better designed and higher quality interior on a $27k car.

I think the problem is that Ford designs everything for the base ecoboost, and only pays lip service to improving it on the premium models with very minor changes like the dash trim, door card inserts, etc. My hope is that the S650 classes up the interior, which I think is a very good bet, though I can promise you we won't see even BMW 200 series levels of refinement. I also seriously doubt the new chassis will incorporate aluminum due to cost, but we can always dream.

Maybe with the planned EV Mustangs Ford will have to significantly class it up, seeing as how they can't compete on cylinder count alone.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Under 40k for a new gt. not on your life. Maybe if the car inventory starts stacking up, and dealers are forced to remover the atm's and go back to dealing.
I'm talking MSRP pricing. Anyone who pays ADM for a regular Mustang must really want one.

Frankly I don't care what "other" cars average price hovers at.
That's fine, but the rest of the world doesn't live in your bubble.

I understand why it is, as the base car is 26k. But to most buyers they see a msrp of 45-52k for a gt and cringe
Mustang fit & finish is certainly not top tier but it is not trash either. And pricing has nothing to do with it. My wife's old Escape F&F was better than my Mustangs and its base is under he Mustang. The real issue is Flat Rock. But they do not seem to care all that much so I do not foresee much improvement on the 2022 or the S650.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'm talking MSRP pricing. Anyone who pays ADM for a regular Mustang must really want one.
You can easily order one for under 40k MSRP, but it won't be heavily equipped. I don't even think that includes the 8" SYNC3? The Performance Pack and features can rack up the price quickly, but yes, you can get a base GT under 40. Dealers won't have one in stock, probably ever, but you can order one.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
You can easily order one for under 40k MSRP, but it won't be heavily equipped. I don't even think that includes the 8" SYNC3? The Performance Pack and features can rack up the price quickly, but yes, you can get a base GT under 40. Dealers won't have one in stock, probably ever, but you can order one.
2021 Base with 301A comes in at $39,680 with destination. 2022 will go just over $40K. It may not be what it was 10, 20, or 30 years ago but for today it's one hell of a car for the money.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
2021 Base with 301A comes in at $39,680 with destination. 2022 will go just over $40K. It may not be what it was 10, 20, or 30 years ago but for today it's one hell of a car for the money.
Everyday I'm reminded that I bought my 2020 301A black accent at just the right time. $35k out the door. :rockon:

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Everyday I'm reminded that I bought my 2020 301A black accent at just the right time. $35k out the door. :rockon:
Ahhh for the days of discounts and rebates. Now to get one at MSRP you have to order it and wait.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
I think it's relatively dumb, but I can understand why for some points. For one (mainly), the Mustang (while mass produced and you can find one of any generation on any given day driving around) is low volume production. Everyone wants SUVs and trucks right now, kicking out what we deem as cool cars to the curb. That alone raises prices (ex: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.). Also the S550 has IRS - that costs a lot more to make over a solid axle. Probably a moot point 7 years in. Inflation is also big - things are (stupidly and annoyingly) costing more, but we're getting paid quite a bit less than the rate inflation is going. There were a few comparisons of X years ago cost of a vehicle and average wage vs current cost of a vehicle and average (although not average in my book) wage - it doesn't look good and may be heading the way of houses the way I see it. That also affects material costs. Plus labor to build everything. There's also CARB, NTSHA/Euro equivalent, eco freaks, review sites, etc. that push for more features in average cars, better crash ratings, and better fuel economy - that really eats R+D money that gets put into MSRP figures.

I still find it stupid any way it's put. $100 is the new $20 in my book. Can't afford the American dream anymore unless you're born rich or manage to be that lucky one who scores big and/or cheats the system without being caught.
Sponsored