Sponsored

CD4 Chassis School

motoroid65

To call it an evolved or heavily modified CD4 simply because of similar IRS setup is just silly. It is more accurate to say it shares nothing with CD4 except that. That's it.

Now, here's the question since the S550 was built with the Mustang in mind and not modified from a larger platform (?). Should we not see a lighter overall chassis?
Sponsored

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
To call it an evolved or heavily modified CD4 simply because of similar IRS setup is just silly. It is more accurate to say it shares nothing with CD4 except that. That's it.

Now, here's the question since the S550 was built with the Mustang in mind and not modified from a larger platform (?). Should we not see a lighter overall chassis?
You would think that is when the opportunity is the greatest.

mister.peabodyjunior

Threads
Reaction score

It's not a heavily modified CD4 platform. It's not CD4 at all. That is what my posts have eluded to. It simple adopts a ILIRS rear suspension, similar to CD4, though more heavy duty.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
I don't get it. What possible reason could there be for increased weight of this platform? IRS?

The S197 was strong enough to handle massive amounts of power. Everything I have heard about the S550 is that it will rely less on pure horsepower and more on better balanced performance - handling, suspension etc. So it can't be that they need it to be THAT much stronger, can it?

Safety features? What additional safety features are we getting between 2014MY and 2015MY that would add weight? I'm asking because I dont know of any additional safety requirements that would do it.

Technology? Seems lke this is the most likely area besides IRS.

Sponsored

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
Remember, it's not that simple. Mustang volume is small, not even enough to support a single production shift. And this is a non small car platform, it needs support.
I think what Pill was referring to is that a change of platform would be the best opportunity at weight loss, opposed to trying to shed weight mid-platform. That much we can all agree on I would think.

Maestro5.0

Whatever the case with the weight, really thinking the ILIRS will do wonders for the handling of the S550. Even if it puts on a little weight, it could still be apples and oranges.

stangray11

I don't get it. What possible reason could there be for increased weight of this platform? IRS?

The S197 was strong enough to handle massive amounts of power. Everything I have heard about the S550 is that it will rely less on pure horsepower and more on better balanced performance - handling, suspension etc. So it can't be that they need it to be THAT much stronger, can it?

Safety features? What additional safety features are we getting between 2014MY and 2015MY that would add weight? I'm asking because I dont know of any additional safety requirements that would do it.

IF it does, you probably answered your own question. Tech and IRS.

I think I recall someone on this forum saying that Ford was 50/50 on the IRS a while back due to weight concerns. I'm not an expert on ILIRS but hopefully the fact that they gave it the green light means Ford engineers found a way to make it work without weight gain.

Melino

My guess is anyone that is working on the S550 would not say, and if it actually does gain weight it isnt exactly something they would be bragging about. Maybe its one of those things that you have to drive it to appreciate the other improvements.

Still hoping Ford does the right (and popular) thing....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What possible reason? That implies that purely guessing is allowed.

Additional or more stringent crash performance requirements, either mandated or anticipated to become an even higher buyer priority than it is now?

Norm
Sponsored