Sponsored

Rusty Aussie mach 1 mustangs

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Ford’s metallurgy group needs restructure. After all the failed 2015+ mustang and F150 AC repairs that cost a fortune….

For ocean shipping, Ford needs to consider tried n true industry standards.
Or at least run the cars thru undercarriage wash w cosmoline carrier/VPCI/buffered phosphorus.
This can prolly be done aqeous base if needed.
like $2-4 car plus cost of car wash end of line for export cars.
Thats not a ford problem behr hella builds the HVAC box you should see the amount of chrysler and gm evaporators and condensers i have replaced on newer cars.
Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Beg to differ, its a single pack black paint. It comes off with acetone. Any activated paint does not come off with acetone. Once its baked on exhaust, acetone wont really soften it.
Definitely not sticky .
Perhaps Ford Sweden applied the sticky bitumen you refer to ?
Bottom line, if you want to seal the bottom of a car, it takes a lot of work. Like you said, depends who does it.
What Ford does is just useless.
Then you have some dinkey toy stuff in Italy :p

I guess due to the weather here some more "stronger" stuff is needed. I have read that similar is used in other countries as well.

Different cars brands are treated in the same facilities when reaching that harbour and where PDI, adaptions etc are done. Not sure if the different manufacturers have different treatments or not for the undercarriage at this facility.

I hope that with the S650 more alumium components are used :)

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Thats not a ford problem behr hella builds the HVAC box you should see the amount of chrysler and gm evaporators and condensers i have replaced on newer cars.
Ford problem:
Ford repeatedly FAILS to quantify the cost of a SHITTY customer experience.
Stupid short term execs point to all the "quantifiable" gains in asking suppliers for CRAP and then say "look I saved Ford $XXX by removing engineers and sourcing cheapest CRAP".

Ford Board to blame.
Race to the bottom.

Then there is "dealership experience". At least Ford is backing Rivian building out a Tesla like service structure...
Existing Dealership network is organized criminal racket and competitive disadvantage.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Ford problem:
Ford repeatedly FAILS to quantify the cost of a SHITTY customer experience.
Stupid short term execs point to all the "quantifiable" gains in asking suppliers for CRAP and then say "look I saved Ford $XXX by removing engineers and sourcing cheapest CRAP".
Not just a Ford problem. I see the exact same thing in aerospace all the time. Very little concern for the long term......all about impressing share holders for the next quarter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Glenn 70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
1970 mach 1 mustang
It's not paint, it is an under carriage rust protection seal almost like bitumen. It is sticky and very very difficult to remove.

It is almost a must for cars driven in places where all four seasons take place and where salt is used. All cars in Sweden do get a treatment of some sort before being delivered to the dealers.

it depends on where the job is done, usually it is done once the cars delivered to the harbour, the folks blasting the stuff on can be more or less precise/do/don't know which parts to treat and you can have a mess.

On my GT I had overspray in the barrels of all four wheels, but the exhuast was untouched, the springs had overspray, on them and so on ..... I still have marks on my garage floor and my tools are all messed up as the stuff doesn't come off more or less...
This black stuff is not sticky ,not like bitumen ,not like body rust proofing . It’s more like a thick paint and is very hard . I will find out on the weekend if it’s done from ford or the dealer and post it up when I find out . It is some sort of rust proofing that’s for sure .

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
This black stuff is not sticky ,not like bitumen ,not like body rust proofing . It’s more like a thick paint and is very hard . I will find out on the weekend if it’s done from ford or the dealer and post it up when I find out . It is some sort of rust proofing that’s for sure .
Wonder if Oz cars ship via zeebruge ? Could explain why u guys have same mess as us on underbody .

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
That would be twice longer shipping distance, don't think that would make sense. It's weird this isn't done properly already in USA if it must be done. I'll be on the lookout for rust.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Gerry_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Fastback - Antimatter Blue, 10sp
I'll try to take some photos under my car when I get a minute, but when I looked underneath after picking it up a few weeks ago, it also had some white spotting all over the underside which worries me now after reading this thread.
And to confirm, the black crap is sprayed all over the underside of export cars (mine included)
I also bought a second hand set of factory wheels last week and they have overspray all over the inside of the rears too.

Can someone confirm, when these are shipped do they just sit on an open deck?
My car came with the shipping document which shows a comment "Snow & Salt spray" .
Not sure if that's what they call the stuff sprayed on, or if that was a comment on the condition of the car when it was loaded.
It was pretty dirty when I picked it up but being a dark colour it looked ok under the dealership lights.
It wasn't until I got it home in the sunlight that I saw how many dirty water stains were all over the grille, rear end, all over the car in fact - which is why I thought it had been exposed to the sea for a period of time.
So I laid under the back of the car today and took some photos. It is covered in salt along with the black sealant they've sprayed over everything.
Can anyone recommend a good way to wash the salt off? Since the actual parts are covered in the black spray I'm not too worried about rust, but still want to get it off there.

Salty_3.jpg

Salty_1.jpg

Salty_2.jpg

OP
OP

Glenn 70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
1970 mach 1 mustang
So I laid under the back of the car today and took some photos. It is covered in salt along with the black sealant they've sprayed over everything.
Can anyone recommend a good way to wash the salt off? Since the actual parts are covered in the black spray I'm not too worried about rust, but still want to get it off there.

Salty_3.jpg

Salty_1.jpg

Salty_2.jpg

Salty_3.jpg

Salty_1.jpg

Salty_2.jpg
This is so wrong . Maybe a spit water hot water pressure cleaner ,done by a car detailer shop that has an outside hoist .

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vinegar neutralises salt, mix vinegar and water together spay the undercarriage, let it soak in and then hose off thoroughly.
If you don't have a hoist or cant jack the car up you can use a garden sprinkler and move it around underneath the car a few times.

Gerry_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Fastback - Antimatter Blue, 10sp
Vinegar neutralises salt, mix vinegar and water together spay the undercarriage, let it soak in and then hose off thoroughly.
If you don't have a hoist or cant jack the car up you can use a garden sprinkler and move it around underneath the car a few times.
Thanks mate, I was reading up on doing exactly that after I posted this so will give it a go tomorrow

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
I believe mine was done in Wallhamn in Sweden
Then it looks like they use

Salty_3.jpg

Salty_1.jpg

Salty_2.jpg
Damn, they made a right mess of your car. Mine was less coverage. Guess I had a lazier savage that let rip on mine.
I just did it like it so spent days removing the crap.
Those spots aren’t necessary salt. Probably dried dirty water. Taste a spot if you want to be sure . Yes I know, it’s stupid, but that’s what I do.
If it is salt, a garden sprinkler is a good ,idea like said above.
Sponsored