Rusting bodywork

Stryker Macv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stryker
Vehicle(s)
bmw M2 soon mach 1
Hi all I am new to this forum as well and very soon hopefully my car will be here im just going for it !! because I have done the Mpower AMG thing to death they are so fecking boring now , and the mustang in my eyes is fantastic . My plan is once I get the car ive found a company in Orpington (Kent) who will rust protect the car with a wax solution and underseal properly , I could do it my self but its a messy job.All I say is follow your heart if you love mustang then its the right car
Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
*Bump*

Just to update you all with the fantastic news that Ford have agreed to replace my corroded bonnet & both corroded front wings under warranty (2016 car)

this is despite the body inspection book having zero stamps (although full service history).

itā€™s taken 3 months to gain their approval and heaven knows when the job will be completed, but just to thank all those in this forum who contributed with advice & the TSB number.

Iā€™m really chuffed as I expected tough negotiations on % contribution, but theyā€™ve agreed 100% from Ford, so hats off to them.

It pays to be patient, objective and respectful in dealing with HQ and the dealer, rather than raging at them over the issue and their super slow progressā€¦

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
*Bump*

Just to update you all with the fantastic news that Ford have agreed to replace my corroded bonnet & both corroded front wings under warranty (2016 car)

this is despite the body inspection book having zero stamps (although full service history).

itā€™s taken 3 months to gain their approval and heaven knows when the job will be completed, but just to thank all those in this forum who contributed with advice & the TSB number.

Iā€™m really chuffed as I expected tough negotiations on % contribution, but theyā€™ve agreed 100% from Ford, so hats off to them.

It pays to be patient, objective and respectful in dealing with HQ and the dealer, rather than raging at them over the issue and their super slow progressā€¦
Congratulations! Similar experience to my own. Stayed determined but respectful and built a good relationship with my nominated Customer Services person. Also didn't have the stamp but invoice did mention bodywork inspected, which was good enough.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
I have said this all along. Respect them. Be polite. Understanding etc

Goes a long way these days.

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
*Bump*

I think I have a better example of super slow progress but nevertheless I am happy to report that I have been given a booking date to attend to my corroded bonnet.

Reported within the warranty period Jan 2020 now booked in for August 2021!!

Heres hoping the job quality justifies the wait and of course I stayed polite ,though frustrated ,throughout šŸ˜‡

Sponsored

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Since first starting my claim for a right front wing I noticed the bonnet was starting to corrode too and managed to get that added to the claim. Itā€™s been approx 3 months since starting the process to getting a date booked. Since getting the date booked Iā€™ve noticed a patch on the other front wing and the boot so now I need to start a new claims processā€¦. Oh the joy. Fingers crossed that will see it right for another 4. Yrs

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Got my car back yesterday with its new ford bonnet and right front wing. Looks like they did an ok job, no overspray on the tyres like some have had. Wonā€™t be bothering with PPF on these panels as itā€™s a waste of money if you have to replace the panel every 4 yrs anyway.
Has anyone tried applying ceramic coating themselves?

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Just collected my car with its new bonnet and am pleased with the job.

Most importantly no scratches ,dents or overspray sustained and very good colour match and ā€œmetallicā€ content in paint.Itā€™s taken 19 months but we got there in the end. I am very glad I reported it within the warranty period otherwise it might have turned out very differently.

Car returned nice and clean and with no extra miles.Talking to the dealer they said they have just done a yellow Mustang bonnet and after mine their next Mustang is coming in for bonnet and a wing?

Anyone on this forum ?

Anyways good to know Michigan is keeping uk body shops busy.

F6286285-19F6-45EA-A43A-6EEFF1741F9A.jpeg

64AEFD3A-D835-4D92-A3DE-A6C8D714F066.jpeg

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
I have just noticed surface corrosion on the leading edge of RH front wing where it buts to the plastic bumper. I have the body inspection stamps in service record. Its a May 2016 reg so what change Ford would repair it?

Last edited:

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
Booked mine in for MOT and service Friday I'll flag it too them as I've also got bubbling on bonnet. Although I don't think I've got paint inspection stamps in my book...
IMG_20210816_095212.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have just noticed surface corrosion on the leading edge of RH front wing where it buts to the plastic bumper. I have the body inspection stamps in service record. Its a May 2016 reg so what change Ford would repair it?
12 yr perforation warranty will cover aluminium panels oxidisation. Your dealer will tell you itā€™s not covered and you will need to email ford customer care etc. They will do it as a ā€œgood will gestureā€ rather than tell the dealers to do all mustangs under warranty. Cheaper for them as they only end up doing it for persistent nagging customers.

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Booked mine in for MOT and service Friday I'll flag it too them as I've also got bubbling on bonnet. Although I don't think I've got paint inspection stamps in my book...
IMG_20210816_095212.jpg
The paint inspection check pages was never raised in my case but I did report it within the 3 year warranty period and gave the dealer a copy of the TSB.
It still took me 19months to get it sorted so patience is a virtue
Good luck

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
I hadnā€™t taken much notice of this thread as there was no corrosion on my car . . . . . . until I noticed the paint on the front lip of my bonnet starting to bubble. Itā€™s going in for inspection this coming Thursday.

Thank goodness I have the five year extended manufacturerā€™s warranty - there didnā€™t seem to be any quibble that itā€™s not covered under warranty when I reported it earlier today. Iā€™ve already had the OSF lower suspension control arm and NSF upper suspension control arm replaced under warranty earlier this year. It appears these Mustangs are a bargain for a good reason!

Having read this thread I checked the small print in the service manual covering the warranty. The paintwork is covered during the warranty period and is not dependent on inspection or stamps in the book. This only applies to the perforation warranty i.e. when a hole has already appeared so any mention of goodwill during the warranty period for paint surface problems is just BS..

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Just picked the car up with new bonnet. Corrosion reported on 11th October and inspected on 14th October and all sorted by today. Could have been sorted a week earlier but the car was with me in Edinburgh!

No fuss whatsoever, Ford just sorted it. Full Ford service history but no bodywork inspection stamps in the service book.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
In the USA Mustangs are cars kids drive to school, here theyā€™re sold as a premium product but the fit and finish is nowhere near the best of Asia or Europe, also bar a few exceptions the dealers leave a lot to be desired, you have to decide whether you want the looks, grunt and just ā€˜being differentā€™ or be a sheep and buy a BMW, Mercedes or Audi, for me I'll stick with the former.
I agree, I think most outside the U.S. do not appreciate the place Mustang occupied for decades...that of an economical sports car. Even among American sports cars, the Mustang was always the "cheap" car. My car is three months old and has a couple of paint issues. One near the rear window looks like the paint is about to flake off. If that happens, then no doubt it'll be at risk of rust. I think the last time I saw a car rust was the early 1990's...approximately 30 years ago. Thanks for the heads about about the maintenance paint check!
Sponsored