Roush CAI compatability

Badpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB V6
I don't know if this has ever been discussed here before but, here I go. I had to get a replacement air box lid for a 2018 5.0 Roush CAI. After talking with the sales rep at Roush I found that the lower air box p/n is the same for all 3.7 and 5.0 cai's back to 2015. So, the lid from the newer 2018 cai will fit the older open cai back to 2015. It's a bit pricey (116.95) but, if you want a closed cai intake, it will fit the bill perfectly. You will need some hardware (M6x25 self tapping screws or the equivalent).
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Did they give you the part number to order the lid alone?

OP
OP
Badpony

Badpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB V6
Yes they did, 1318-9643HC-S. ou'll have to call their 1-800 number to order though. On their website, open the install PDF for any CAI. At the beginning there is a parts list and a phone number to call if anything is missing. That's the number to call.

Maddog1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Yes they did, 1318-9643HC-S. ou'll have to call their 1-800 number to order though. On their website, open the install PDF for any CAI. At the beginning there is a parts list and a phone number to call if anything is missing. That's the number to call.
Long time lurker, registered to reply... Not sure I'm going for it but I did buy the GT hood with vents. The vents are designed relatively water tight due to their aerodynamic qualities. However, after a good pour or a shot in the wrong direction at the self serve wash, you're soaking your Roush CAI filter - which seems to be pretty fiercely debated whether or not it's a major detriment. For my own peace of mind I ended up buying a custom driver's side foam insert from JLT, but this would have been a good alternative, albeit expensive. Thanks for sharing.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Another option for you would have been one of the filter sleeves which protects it from water as well. I'm thinking about the proper cover to keep it sealed and hopefully a little lower in terms of temps.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered the lid cover today. Thanks for sharing the info, much appreciated.
I know you're probably doing it for lower temps, but come back and comment on any sound difference too please!

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
For my own peace of mind I ended up buying a custom driver's side foam insert from JLT, but this would have been a good alternative, albeit expensive. Thanks for sharing.
That is interesting, I thought the foam insert came when you buy the JLT intake? Is there a different one? I almost threw mine away thinking it was some sort of packing material.

This one right? click me

Maddog1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
That is interesting, I thought the foam insert came when you buy the JLT intake? Is there a different one? I almost threw mine away thinking it was some sort of packing material.

This one right? click me
No, special order. See attached. Just a piece of foam.

6g.JPG

Sponsored

Maddog1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Ordered the lid cover today. Thanks for sharing the info, much appreciated.
What did you pay out of curiosity? The $116.95 quoted by OP?

OP
OP
Badpony

Badpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB V6
I noticed only about a 4 degree drop in IAT but, it takes longer for it to get heatsoaked and cools back down quicker than the open box. As for noise, it's just like an OEM box.

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
Received the cover lid earlier this week but wanted to run the car without it to see what the IAT’s were. Without the lid the IAT was 4-6 above ambient while I was moving. After a hard run and at a complete stop it was as high as 129 with and ambient of 59. I installed the lid which fits perfectly but haven’t driven it yet. I did start it and any difference regarding intake noise is negligible. I could barely hear it when the air box was open and the hood closed. With the lid on, even less. The air/fuel ratio is the same which is a good thing. Wasn’t sure if there would be any difference after sealing it. I’ve already started the St Patrick’s Day celebrating so I’ll drive it again and see what the IAT is but I suspect, as noted above, it will be similar to the OEM air box.
BA07B519-1AEC-4426-A490-FBB66BF27FE7.jpeg

Reaper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP
Did it come with those mounting screws or the self tapping ones? I'd rather have black push pin style.
Sponsored