Sponsored

Ride quality with 20-inch wheels?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
metallic gray gt premium with 20" wheels
I've read reviews saying the ride quality is better with 18" compared to 20" wheels. I plan on long distance touring, but love the look of the 20" inch wheels. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has been riding on 20" wheels as a daily driver, or on trips. Thanks.
Sponsored

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
I commute 80 miles r/t four days per week in mine with 20" wheels. I haven't noticed any tremendous difference in ride.

Wolfman625

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT in Deep impact Blue
Have switch my stock 18" for 20"s and have not noticed any difference in harsher ride

HoustonMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Race Red EcoBoost Premium with 20" wheels...
I have 20" OEM wheels/tires...very harsh when driven over uneven pavement...but acceptable when operated on smoother road surfaces...

I love 20" wheels for the visual impact...and am willing to ignore the stiffer ride qualities...

FYI...most of my vehicles are fitted with 19"...or 20" tires/wheels...but my highway cruiser is fitted with 18" all-season tires...

18" all-season tires will always be a bit smoother due the the increase in sidewall height...and typically offer a higher tread wear rating...are more resistant to blowouts...and less likely to hydroplane in heavy downpours...

For long distance touring...make sure you buy the optional spare wheel package...lots of blowout horror stories on this forum...the OEM Pirelli summer 20" tires are very prone to blowouts because of road debris damage...and big potholes are a definitely a problem...

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
to me, 20's make up for not having the stiffer springs of the PP. So it's a wash in my book.

Sponsored

TRAKDAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Depending on the road conditions is what drives the difference in feel. In Texas I drove 20 inch wheels and never really noticed a difference, but when I moved to the North East, I learned how bad roads can be and now 20 inch wheels are out of the question. Can it be done and me get by with the harshness...Sure! But I throw on 18s and can really tell how the extra tire absorbs the shock.

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Extra tire sidewall will always have a softer ride. It's more cushion to absorb impact and shock. That said the 20" wheels are the only ones I like the look of besides the PP wheels. I love my 20s and the ride is plenty good for me.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to all of you for your replies! Just what I needed to know. (I had been looking for 2015 owner experience of ride quality on 20" wheels for hours without much success).

lltrigg3rzonell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
I will let you know this Saturday. I currently have the 18" oem wheels and bought the 20" oem rims from someone. It's going on next week.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stephen, will be interested to hear how it goes. I was concerned I could spend $1295 ordering 20' wheels, then having to buy a set of 18s if I didn't like the 20s

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
A lot depends on the tire you use. Same tire but 18" vs 20" will be stiffer at the larger size. Sidewall stiffness of the tire matters a lot for this discussion. That being said, my 20" MPSS aren't too bad. You won't mistake the ride for a Lexus LS but I don't mind it and I drive on some pretty terrible DC roads.

flying dutchman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.microseconds.com
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow GT / 1966 GT Convertable
I have the stock foundry 20's with pirelli "summer tires" and the ride seems excellent. I really like the look of them!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 20" OEM wheels/tires...very harsh when driven over uneven pavement...but acceptable when operated on smoother road surfaces...

I love 20" wheels for the visual impact...and am willing to ignore the stiffer ride qualities...

FYI...most of my vehicles are fitted with 19"...or 20" tires/wheels...but my highway cruiser is fitted with 18" all-season tires...

18" all-season tires will always be a bit smoother due the the increase in sidewall height...and typically offer a higher tread wear rating...are more resistant to blowouts...and less likely to hydroplane in heavy downpours...

For long distance touring...make sure you buy the optional spare wheel package...lots of blowout horror stories on this forum...the OEM Pirelli summer 20" tires are very prone to blowouts because of road debris damage...and big potholes are a definitely a problem...

:thumbsup:
Thanks for all the specifics! (And spare wheel ordering suggestion.)
Sponsored