17" - best ride quality?

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I currently have a set of 19" off a 2012 GT on my '18 EB convertible and I love the look, especially with the ingot silver. My issue is that the convertible shakes all over the place, and the fairly thin tires of the 19"s sends vibrations throughout the car at a ridiculous rate. Would mounting chubby tires on a set of 17's (in future) smooth things out? I wouldn't mind the fattest tires ever lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 35644

It absolutely makes a difference. My '17 V6 came with the standard 17", and most vibrations and irregularities were filtered out. I put some 19s on it, and it looked fantastic, but you could feel a cigarette butt on the road. My convertible has 20s. Love the car, but Dallas roads aren't kind to it.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
In general, shorter sidewalls mean a stiffer ride. A perfect example, at one time my wife and I had an edge SEL and a edge titanium at the same time, the sel had 18's and the titanium had 20's, otherwise they were identical mechanically. The sel rode much smoother than the titanium did, and to prove it to my wife who was skeptical, I swapped the wheels between the two and then the titanium rode smoother, proving it to the wife.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I'm thinking of a chunky 245/60/17 setup lol

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
My ‘16 came with 20’s and I hated it. I went with 18’s and it rides substantially better. I also had a bit of shack that was more pronounced with the top up. I installed BMR’s CB010 cradle bushing lock out kit. And it helped tighing up the rear end. I didn’t realize how much the rear cradle moves till you watch tire hop videos. And with the vert top all that moving and shaking gets amplified.
Sponsored