Sponsored

Rev Matching Retrofit

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I rev match by just;
clutch in -> brake -> reach desired speed
-> release brake -> shift gear -> blip throttle -> release clutch.
That should be
brake -> as decelerating, clutch in -> select gear
-> blip throttle AND ease clutch into friction zone together -> release brake

If you can't blip throttle and hold brake, then come off brake a little bit early and use blip+clutch drag to get that last little bit. That way you're already on the gas somewhat before apex and can just maintain throttle or add slightly till apex, and then can add much more for exit drive.

A vehicle is much more predictable and stable when it is under power.
That concludes today's lesson on how to enter a corner on a motocycle car.
Sponsored

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
That should be
brake -> as decelerating, clutch in -> select gear
-> blip throttle AND ease clutch into friction zone together -> release brake

If you can't blip throttle and hold brake, then come off brake a little bit early and use blip+clutch drag to get that last little bit. That way you're already on the gas somewhat before apex and can just maintain throttle or add slightly till apex, and then can add much more for exit drive.

A vehicle is much more predictable and stable when it is under power.
That concludes today's lesson on how to enter a corner on a motocycle car.
That is really what I am doing, I just explained it poorly. That said - for around town driving, I am never down shifting in a corner - this is usually on a straight away (slowing down for an off ramp, or coming up to a stop light. After shifting I am typically just coasting in the lower gear or coming to a full stop.

I need to find time to get to a track....

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
This kind of blows my mind. I can see when coming to a light/stop to just pop in neutral and brake down to 0 but when adjusting speed down when coming to a slower turn or pick some scernsrio are you saying "A LOT" of people just put in gear and let the clutch out?

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
This kind of blows my mind. I can see when coming to a light/stop to just pop in neutral and brake down to 0 but when adjusting speed down when coming to a slower turn or pick some scernsrio are you saying "A LOT" of people just put in gear and let the clutch out?
That's my experience. And not even the worst of what I've seen.

Went to look at a used car once (manual) and the seller pulled it out of a narrow parking area before letting me drive. His idea of slipping the clutch to get moving from a stop was revving it to 3000rpm and just roasting the clutch. I passed on that car.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... but when adjusting speed down when coming to a slower turn or pick some scernario are you saying "A LOT" of people just put in gear and let the clutch out?
Some people don't even bother to downshift until they realize that the corner slowed them down to the point where on the way out of the corner nobody's awake in the engine room and a downshift is clearly called for. Some drivers still don't downshift.

It's probably more common for people to feather the clutch on the way up (slipping the clutch) than letting it grab aggressively (which generally results in an unpleasant forward head-toss for all inside).

Norm

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Wow, that's just crazy. I know I do it less though since the throttle response in my stock '17 gt leaves something to be desired. My previous foxbodies had instant throttle response. I actually need to blip it twice sometimes as it doesn't blip as fast as I want. I'm very much looking forward to installing my gt350 TB/Mani/cai and getting a tune. The auto blip controller looks cool though

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My previous foxbodies had instant throttle response.
Ick, I hate overly sensitive/light-switch throttles.
I actually need to blip it twice sometimes as it doesn't blip as fast as I want
it's a matter of learning how deep into the pedal you need to go to get the rev you want. When I'm out of practice, or switching between EB/GT/Camaro, sometimes need a second stab at it. But if you wait till late to do the shift you don't end up with a situation where the engine has gone to idle while you were braking and you need to put 4000 RPM back on.

Sometimes I wish there was a way to set a minimum idle, say 2500 (used to do this on carb'd bikes at the track) but really I just took it as the driver sucked at his skills and needed more practice, not artificial crutches.

My measure of a successful downshift is if a full cup of water didn't slosh out. Any head movement is an 'F'.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Ok so if one upgrades to the new tremec from the mach 1 it should come with said box on top of the shift rail. So what happens after that?
Who knows? The new Tremec may have a similar box with compatible signals but until we see one with the same box and outputs we won;t know.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Ick, I hate overly sensitive/light-switch throttles.
Well I guess that's a bit of an exaggeration, it wasn't a light-switch, who would like that? lol

it's a matter of learning how deep into the pedal you need to go to get the rev you want. When I'm out of practice, or switching between EB/GT/Camaro, sometimes need a second stab at it. But if you wait till late to do the shift you don't end up with a situation where the engine has gone to idle while you were braking and you need to put 4000 RPM back on.

Sometimes I wish there was a way to set a minimum idle, say 2500 (used to do this on carb'd bikes at the track) but really I just took it as the driver sucked at his skills and needed more practice, not artificial crutches.

My measure of a successful downshift is if a full cup of water didn't slosh out. Any head movement is an 'F'.
No that's not exactly right. I don't clutch, wait for it to drop in rpm, then try to blip and drop a gear, that would be silly. It is true though that sometimes I just don't stab the pedal deep enough, but I do think that sometimes that I shouldn't have to stab this deep but my last 2 foxbodies were carbed and heavily modified. either way the bigger TB should make a noticeable difference in throttle response.

Sponsored

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Who knows? The new Tremec may have a similar box with compatible signals but until we see one with the same box and outputs we won;t know.
I feel like it would be an added bonus. I plan on going FI in 2 years, have all my mods planned out. the 3rd year I have a new transmission on the list just in case. I figure the tremec from the mach 1 would be beefy enough AND it might be possible for rev match, if not then I still get a beefier transmission

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well it can be increased by a tuner correct? I'm getting shaun@AED to do my tune
larger TB tend to cause intake stall, eddy currents/turbulence and lower velocity. At WOT they move more air than smaller, sure. I'm sure a skilled tuner will have no problem dealing with the pitfalls of one TB over another.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ah well I guess I'll just rev match myself. I saw the auto blip, might try that out one day. I still don't understand why people say it saves your transmission from wear and tear. Do people not rev match when down shifting??
Most people don't, they just slip the clutch to down shift. I know a lot of people think rev match down shifts in traffic make you look like an attention whore. I love it though lol
Sponsored