Reset transmission after break-in?

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
So, pardon this question if it's stupid. Many of you have forgotten more than I know about modern automobiles...

I'm wrapping up my break-in period (currently at 941 miles) and plan to get my oil changed right after. I'm not 100% happy with my transmission (auto), particularly some harshness at low speeds and around 45MPH. Nothing unusual, I don't think, but I'm also going to make sure the dealer checks the transmission fluid to make sure that was topped off at the factory.

Anyway, my question: is there any value in having the transmission computer (whatever it's called) reset? I was pretty easy on the car during the break-in period and plan to be, well, less easy afterward. I'm wondering if that might not pep up the transmission as it relearns from generally more aggressive driving.

Thoughts and ridicule appreciated.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Can't hurt, tell them it is harsh shifting and the flash should be under warranty.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Shit are you supposed to break in the tranny? I literally drove it off the lot and drag raced it at the first light I came to. Held pretty good until I threw 900 whp at it and it was supercharged at 450 miles with 750 for over a year.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
So, pardon this question if it's stupid. Many of you have forgotten more than I know about modern automobiles...

I'm wrapping up my break-in period (currently at 941 miles) and plan to get my oil changed right after. I'm not 100% happy with my transmission (auto), particularly some harshness at low speeds and around 45MPH. Nothing unusual, I don't think, but I'm also going to make sure the dealer checks the transmission fluid to make sure that was topped off at the factory.

Anyway, my question: is there any value in having the transmission computer (whatever it's called) reset? I was pretty easy on the car during the break-in period and plan to be, well, less easy afterward. I'm wondering if that might not pep up the transmission as it relearns from generally more aggressive driving.

Thoughts and ridicule appreciated.
Iā€™m not an expert on the 10 speed at all but Iā€™ve noticed its smoothed out quite a bit after break in (Iā€™m at 1,175 miles now). Once the trans oil is up to temp, Iā€™m not afraid to be heavy in the foot and itā€™s butter smooth. As far as I know, itā€™s constantly learning and adjusting so as you adjust your driving habits, it will adjust accordingly. If yours is shifting hard, might be worth having the dealer check the trans oil level to make sure itā€™s full. Iā€™m sure others with more knowledge will chime in as well

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Shit are you supposed to break in the tranny?
I know the engines are 99% broke in at the factory, I have no idea about the trans or diff. This may be the reason for the break in procedure in the owners manual.

Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I know the engines are 99% broke in at the factory, I have no idea about the trans or diff. This may be the reason for the break in procedure in the owners manual.
Well needless to say no break in and boosted since almost new I have some little flares in 3rd, 4th and 5th at half throttle but partial and wot you wouldnā€™t even know so I guess I havenā€™t completely ruined it not breaking it in.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I reset the learning tables on mine with Forscan at about 3500 miles and it was a little herky jerky for a few miles then it smoothed back out and is shifting much better. I've got about 4200 miles now.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt anything to reset the transmission. At worst, it'll just relearn.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt anything to reset the transmission. At worst, it'll just relearn.
Have them train the transmission. Yes, you can do it - but the process is really stupid and annoying

You didn't specify if the hard shifts were upshifts or downshifts. At least on mine, the upshifts are smooth but the downshifts are (still) horrendous. These 10r80s are not nearly as smooth as the 6r80s

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Have them train the transmission. Yes, you can do it - but the process is really stupid and annoying

You didn't specify if the hard shifts were upshifts or downshifts. At least on mine, the upshifts are smooth but the downshifts are (still) horrendous. These 10r80s are not nearly as smooth as the 6r80s
The processor of flashing the transmission is stupid and annoying? How so?

I have some harsh downshifts at low speeds, just, but also some harsh upshits at low speeds and then at around 45MPH. What happens is pretty consistent, but it doesn't happen that often.

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
The processor of flashing the transmission is stupid and annoying? How so?

I have some harsh downshifts at low speeds, just, but also some harsh upshits at low speeds and then at around 45MPH. What happens is pretty consistent, but it doesn't happen that often.
no.. the retraining is annoying. Ford would need to reflash the TCU. There is a relearn/retrain process that is supposed to be done. You can find the details online, but long story short, you would have to hold a certain RPM while slowly accelerating up to a certain speed. Then do the same coming to a stop. And that would need to be done multiple times. I tried to retrain my transmission when Ford reflashed mine. I apparently didn't do it right. So they ended up doing it for me.. They made it better..

This is different than the TCU slowly learning the specifics/uniqueness of your transmission -over time.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
no.. the retraining is annoying. Ford would need to reflash the TCU. There is a relearn/retrain process that is supposed to be done. You can find the details online, but long story short, you would have to hold a certain RPM while slowly accelerating up to a certain speed. Then do the same coming to a stop. And that would need to be done multiple times. I tried to retrain my transmission when Ford reflashed mine. I apparently didn't do it right. So they ended up doing it for me.. They made it better..

This is different than the TCU slowly learning the specifics/uniqueness of your transmission -over time.
I had no idea there was such a process, thanks. I'll have to look more into it. I thought it was simply starting from scratch with the learning tables and going through the normal initial training process again.

If that's not the case, then maybe I'll just have them make sure the transmission fluid is good and then see how it does after the break-in. Then if I'm still having issues I can look more into it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If it needed to be retrained after a flash, every person who tunes their car would be screaming from the tree tops.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
If it needed to be retrained after a flash, every person who tunes their car would be screaming from the tree tops.
I really know next to nothing about this stuff. But does every tune reflash the transmission?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I don't know about every flasher device but SCT and HP tuners do re write the entire tune each flash. Even if you choose the calibration only choice. It still re writes the engine and trans calibration. Even if no changes are made.
Sponsored