Sponsored

Request for input regarding decision to trade away the pony

Kerninc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
I dont want to sound like some of the other folks that found the Mustang lacking....I really dont.
3 time/ 3 generation Mustang owner and the 2016 GTPP I bought new has suffered a laundry list of items both major and minor that have had the car in the shop about every 3-4 months. Everything from wheel bearings to half shafts to the AC system to the battery and the PCM it fried ,Ive just about had everything known to be an issue crop up (not quite enough for Lemon Law ),and at 32 months with 20k on the odometer Im not sure I can afford to keep this particular specimen.

Requesting advice on what to flip it for in May without taking too hard a bath. Please no Fords.....I cant do this again so soon. It took me 42 years in this world to be able to afford a new car and its has left my tail feathers burned to the point I cant spend up. Thanks in advance to anyone with perspective and advice .

Hindsight screams at me that trading away my 2008 Bullitt was the worst move EVER!!

Budget- ~37.5k total ...about same as the 2016 mustang
car type- 2 door coupe....not a mustang or camaro or challenger
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly you may have already run through all the issues you were going to get. If I had that much go wrong and it was down for a significant amount of time, I'd certainly be pushing for some sort of lifetime or at least 100k warranty and just hold on to it.

Without any sort of budget or direction on type of car, kinda hard to make recommendations though. Within the next two to three years I'd expect a lot more to be available in terms of hybrid/semi-electric drivetrain options if you were able to hold off.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Yeah that blows and I’d dump that car also, I will say that my 16 has been perfect. I know that don’t help. Good luck

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
One bad egg does not spoil the whole carton. Run over to one of those import websites and get their view. Sounds like a question better fitted elsewhere. Don't forget to log out.

OP
OP

Kerninc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
One bad egg does not spoil the whole carton. Run over to one of those import websites and get their view. Sounds like a question better fitted elsewhere. Don't forget to log out.

im glad you like your mustang
please go be useless and hateful in some other post.
thx

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I dont want to sound like some of the other folks that found the Mustang lacking....I really dont.
3 time/ 3 generation Mustang owner and the 2016 GTPP I bought new has suffered a laundry list of items both major and minor that have had the car in the shop about every 3-4 months. Everything from wheel bearings to half shafts to the AC system to the battery and the PCM it fried ,Ive just about had everything known to be an issue crop up (not quite enough for Lemon Law ),and at 32 months with 20k on the odometer Im not sure I can afford to keep this particular specimen.

Requesting advice on what to flip it for in May without taking too hard a bath. Please no Fords.....I cant do this again so soon. It took me 42 years in this world to be able to afford a new car and its has left my tail feathers burned to the point I cant spend up. Thanks in advance to anyone with perspective and advice .

Hindsight screams at me that trading away my 2008 Bullitt was the worst move EVER!!

Time for a truck!

It can be a two door also...

Deleted member 35786

Lexus comes to mind if you want long term reliability of a sports coupe.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Lexus comes to mind if you want long term reliability of a sports coupe.
And now that he added budget information, I'd say a used RC F could fit the bill if he wants to keep it a V8.

Otherwise, look at the Cadillac ATS and CTS. Again, looking at used, the ATS-V is starting $35k around my area.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Supra? or maybe an ND Miata if you want to try a convertable.

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
More and more auto manufactures are entering into joint ventures as to automotive components from engines, transmissions to bells and whistles. So staying away from a Ford does not necessarily mean that you are staying completely and wholly away from Ford engineering or any other singular manufacture.

I did note that you listed what has gone wrong with your Mustang, but didn't say that you didn't like the ride, drive, feel or performance of the Mustang. I can however see how given all the issues that you had with the car it could be as much of a personal/emotional distain.

If, and this could be a really big "IF", your major focus is the past history of repairs and possible future cost of repairs going forward outside of the Ford Warranty, maybe a Ford ESP (warranty) would ease the unknown of future mechanical worries. Check the ESP warranty cost at Flood Ford for an idea as to cost after selecting any options you that you may wish to add to the ESP cost. I would guess that the warranty cost would be equal or at least in the neighborhood of the sales tax on a new car.

Either way, what ever you choose, Best of luck with your decision. We all have different taste, had I not gone with my latest Mustang GT I would most likely have a Focus ST parked in the Mustangs place in the garage. Both are fun to drive, one being more raw power delivery the other like driving a sporty skateboard with doors.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
With a $38-ish k budget, the correct replacement is honestly a low-mileage used M240i or M240i-X. The RWD model has a 0-60 of 4.3, the AWD (the X model) is around 4.1. For comparison, an M2 is 4.0 to 60 with an auto and 4.3 with the manual. From what I've seen, it has a pretty reliable engine too. They also tune like crazy.
Two doors, light, fast, available with AWD for all weather driving, supposedly reliable. It was #2 on my list if my 2019 GT PP didn't work out (#1 behind the Mustang was an Audi S5, but you'd be looking in the mid-high $40s for a lightly used one). You could also try and find an Infiniti Q60 Red Sport in your $38k budget. :) People saying a Lexus RC-F... that car is terrible to drive, it has been a complete flop for a reason, and you're going to have a hard time finding one in the $38k range with reasonable miles on it. :p

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Your trade will be worth less coin in may. Effectively raising your budget.
I think Toyota & Honda make 2 door options. A used Z car?

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Your trade will be worth less coin in may. Effectively raising your budget.
I think Toyota & Honda make 2 door options. A used Z car?
My Z never gave me a problem but my 2015 GT has not given me any issues as well. Every manufacturer has issues with every car...just your luck I guess.

Gtgpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I find these kinds of posts really weird. The internet has tons of info and just about every brand has forums.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I find these kinds of posts really weird. The internet has tons of info and just about every brand has forums.
He probably wants the opinions of Mustang owners, as he liked his Mustang, but unfortunately had a bad car with issues (it happens), thus wants input from us as to what we might buy in his budget-range if we weren't going with another Mustang (also, by going to those other brand forums, you're stuck talking to bmw/audi/honda/whatever fans who will push their respective brand). Just a thought. :sun:
Sponsored