Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Lets take look at why engines may fail or need to be replaced here are some reason"s I can think of feel free to add. Again until someone takes several of these apart after failure besides Ford we wont know the reason.

1. Most common seems to be excess oil consumption. (possible ring or cylinder wall issue or normal for this type of engine) Not sure this constitutes a actual failure of the engine.
2. Assembly error, broken rings during install (not likely) bolts not properly torqued should not happen but you never know.
3. Debri left in block oil passages after machine process and it gets into bearings or oil pump and engine fails. This debri could possibly damage the oil pump then the bearings fail soon after. What I find interesting is it seems that most that have blown have broken a rod. I would think a engine without oil pressure would seize and lockup before it broke a rod. Maybe the pistons are breaking.
4. Improper bearing tolerance or improper material used cannot take the high RPMs.
5. Running the engine low on oil and maybe at RPMs the oil in the engine does not drain back quick enough to prevent oil starvation.
6. Possible poor seal between oil pump pickup tube and pump causing cavitation.
7.Improperly engineered or material choice or bean counters choices.
8. Operator error high rpms cold engine, driving with more than a quart low.
9. Aftermarket tunes that cause detonation etc.
10. Failure of internal parts from metal fatigue.

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

My advice to anyone considering this car: Buy it. Would only pay invoice on GT350 and maybe 200 over invoice on R.
MY thought is Dealers know there are issues and are ready to deal, or will soon. I've had 3 dealers call me in the last week that i last contacted over 6 months ago when trying to buy the R.
Both GT350 and the ‘R’ are unique in many ways... However, engine issues and new updates to ‘19 GT350..... will have an effect on dealers profit margin, when it comes to an ‘R’. And as Ford prepares to to release the GT500, it could also have some influence on dealer pricing.

On a side note.... I will be in ATL this weekend..... looking forward to ‘FESTIVALS OF SPEED MOTORSPORTS DISPLAY’. :D

Flounder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt 350
Both GT350 and the ‘R’ are unique in many ways... However, engine issues and new updates to ‘19 GT350..... will have an effect on dealers profit margin, when it comes to an ‘R’. And as Ford prepares to to release the GT500, it could also have some influence on dealer pricing.

On a side note.... I will be in ATL this weekend..... looking forward to ‘FESTIVALS OF SPEED MOTORSPORTS DISPLAY’. :D
Going to try to make it as well but not sure as we are going to my wife's parents home. If you see an oxford white R pull in please come over and introduce yourself.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So who is going to contact the big sports car magazines and invite them to this forum?

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I was at my local cars & coffee here in Columbia, SC today and was approached about the oil usage on these cars. The guy asked me if Ford has come up with a remedy... I simply said, “Not to my knowledge, but if a car has ever begged to be driven firmly and hard, this is the car that is begging, and the oil usage is likely the official cry.”

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I was at my local card & coffee here in Columbia, SC today and was approached about the oil usage on these cars. The guy asked me if Ford has come up with a remedy... I simply said, “Not to my knowledge, but if a car has ever begged to be driven firmly and hard, this is the car that is begging, and the oil usage is likely the official cry.”
YES!!!! F'ING YES! Great answer.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I was told by a reputable source (he was right about changes to the 18 block months before it was announced )that the GT 350 cylinder block had a revision of the oil galleys this march .

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
Just picked mine up this past Friday. Born on date of 03/18. Man I pray I don't have this problem. I was aware before I purchased, but hoped the problem had been resolved by now.........

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My 17 uses virtually no oil.

Whenever i think if changing to an R, or now to a 19, I wonder what if I'm not as lucky next time.