Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
So, for those of us in it for the long haul, anyone have any idea how much a replacement engine will cost? Labor as well?

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
So, for those of us in it for the long haul, anyone have any idea how much a replacement engine will cost? Labor as well?
Brand new I think they are around $25-30k.

Used it seems around ~19k with a trans on eBay.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
If Ford doesn't let them open up the engine, how do you know it was primarily OPG failure with certainty? Is there some inside info we haven't yet seen yet?

Pics are worth a thousand words. Just keeping my word to not share them. Ford told me I couldn’t upgrade to the billet Ford Performance gear and retain warranty unless it happens again and then they would consider it. The powdered metal gear is the weak point in the system.
I was going to ask if i footed the bill for the FP billet steel gears, they’d install and warranty them with the new long block ...i guess there’s my answer:brokenheart:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Brand new I think they are around $25-30k.

Used it seems around ~19k with a trans on eBay.
I swore i saw the part number on SVTP and a price of $16.500...but i can’t find it now

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Better question... has anyone gotten a replacement and that motor failed too? It seems those with problem engines figure that out pretty quickly and get them replaced under warranty. I still will have a few years left of warranty on my new engine.

That said, if the new engine goes... that’s not good. By that time they can trade me a gt500 :)

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I wonder if they'll use the billet gear in the GT500 like they did in the last GT500.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Powertrain warranty will give you a few years of peace if she blows, they have to fix it.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Yes, Identical

Better question... has anyone gotten a replacement and that motor failed too? It seems those with problem engines figure that out pretty quickly and get them replaced under warranty. I still will have a few years left of warranty on my new engine.

That said, if the new engine goes... that’s not good. By that time they can trade me a gt500 :)
Yes, there have been people on here with multiple motor failures... but I know in one case the dealer that changed the motor did not change/flush the oil cooler lines and bits of metal from the initial motor failure that were left in the cooler lines toasted the new motor. Can't blame that on the second motor.

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yes, there have been people on here with multiple motor failures... but I know in one case the dealer that changed the motor did not change/flush the oil cooler lines and bits of metal from the initial motor failure that were left in the cooler lines toasted the new motor. Can't blame that on the second motor.
Ugh!!

I hope that:

1. Those with a second failure were given unfixed engines (ie. Ford did figure out root cause back then)

OR

2. Dealer/mechanic error

That would absolutely tick me off if my replacement motor went too.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
An active member here had a blown motor I think and then the second one didn't blow, but had a cracked block I believe.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
An active member here had a blown motor I think and then the second one didn't blow, but had a cracked block I believe.
YUP! Me. Then I got an R. What a dummy. Only a matter of time before she blows
; )

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
That is so true - the need to properly flush those lines. It reminds me of my BMW dealer that replaced my power steering pump on my M coupe like 3 times (subsequent failures happened less than 1000 miles after previous failure). So it took them 3 times before they started wondering that maybe there is debris in the system that keeps killing the pumps. The 4th time they also replaced the steering rack and all lines and reservoir. Not a problem since :)

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I wonder if they'll use the billet gear in the GT500 like they did in the last GT500.
how do you know the GT500 had a billet gear ? Ford parts lists the oil pump assembly at $106. That is unlikely to be a billet gear for that price.

Some of the failures may be people running their car low on oil.

N9TMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550, e36 m3 , s2000
Gt350 is a real lemon. Every single owner trying to get rid of it.