Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Numerator is about 30 or a few less engine replacements reported in all threads since 2016 production by current or former M6G members up to this time. No idea what the denominator is. Does not seem to be a consistent correlation between oil usage of a quart or less per 1500 miles and failure . My only take away is as others have stated: Keep an eye on the oil level and make sure it's warmed up before hitting high rpms but no reason to hold back once it's there.

OP
OP
S550VIN54

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Not sure if it was mentioned here but Utah Motor Sports would surely exhibit some of these engines failures considering how extensively they are used. I can attest that I didn't baby the one I was driving on the track. Not sure if we would be able to find out if there were any engine failures.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not sure if it was mentioned here but Utah Motor Sports would surely exhibit some of these engines failures considering how extensively they are used. I can attest that I didn't baby the one I was driving on the track. Not sure if we would be able to find out if there were any engine failures.
I know they encouraged me to hammer the engine against the red line rather than up shifting. And I held it against the red line prior to several of the turns on every single lap while on the track. I think the Voodoo engine is really well made. There are some infant failures, but I don't think we have seen any failures associated with the engine's longevity.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Well, I happened to be in the market for that school so figured I'd take the initiative and call them this morning. Everything is sold out, FYI...I did ask, incidentally, if they were experiencing any amount of engine failures and without missing a beat, the rep said "no, and we run them very hard" (obviously, which also includes inexperienced drivers driving like inexperienced drivers).

tjbrowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R -HR773
Perhaps the key to the Voodoo is drive it like you are trying to break it, and it will return many miles of satisfaction. Drive it gentle, and it will self destruct.

That being said, I plan to beat the snot out of mine this weekend.....

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Perhaps the key to the Voodoo is drive it like you are trying to break it, and it will return many miles of satisfaction. Drive it gentle, and it will self destruct.

The Porsche IMS? issue was on cars that were not driven. The DD were fine.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Caveat: After proper break-in, diligent warm up phase and staying on top of oil level.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I happened to be in the market for that school so figured I'd take the initiative and call them this morning. Everything is sold out, FYI...I did ask, incidentally, if they were experiencing any amount of engine failures and without missing a beat, the rep said "no, and we run them very hard" (obviously, which also includes inexperienced drivers driving like inexperienced drivers).
I know someone who works for the school. He was pretty open, they do have some issues that they are a little confused about but as far as failures of big parts, the cars are quite robust.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Here is the deal though. I never launch. Maybe got a bit higher BRIEFLY in the RPM range than I should have one or two times during break-in. Got oil changed at 800 miles. At 2200 I thought it was trackable. Wet Texas day, around 80, didn't know the car or track (in the rain!), so I was going SLOW AS SHIT...One session out...Second session I get out, the engine must have been warm and I NEVER had the chance to flog it, and that is the session it failed. Good temp. No oil pressure. No loss of oil.

I always try to look for my role, even if slight. I just don't see it...It had 60 miles when I bought it, so there is that.

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You can add me to the list. 2016 ~9k miles. I had reported some issues on my last service, which was explained away as piston slap. I was able to correlate the noise with when I needed to put oil in the car... I guess it was a strange oil level indicator (ha!). I let the car sit through some of the harsher parts of winter here, when I went to start it again. Dead. The starter was working fine, just throwing codes. Got it towed to the dealer and sure enough, the engine needed replaced. Not much hassle on that front. If the new engine doesn’t hold up, I guess I get to decide between a buy back or a replacement?

rzr427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2015 Mustang GT, 2005 Ford GT, 1974 Pantera, 2018 Z06 Corvette
During a recent track weekend two R's lost their engines. One was a 2018 with 850 miles that just had an oil change ( properly done ). I don't have details on the other but I believe he posted a You Tube video. The dealership that the 2018 went to had another R in service that just had an engine replacement. The OPG is the suspected root cause of the 2018 engine failure.

nhgaudreau

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Checking in here. Mine blew and got an engine replacement in the last couple months.

Race Control

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT A Platinum Tri Coat
there are 7 GT350/R in my group. 6 are 2017, 1 2016
5 tracks the car, but not much (2-5 times). of the 5 - 2 engines went kaboom. 2 (not the same as blown engine ones) had alternator bolts backing out while on track, belt coming off, engine overheats, goes into limp mode......

I think it is a flat plane crank thing. Ferrari FPC engines have vibration related issues also.

lesson would be track the hell out of it, then park it after warranty is over.
Makes sense to me.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Unfortunately I think any thread like this won't be much use because of self-responder bias followed by conclusions made on anecdotal evidence. I understand Ford not explaining reasons behind any failures to people. A group of internet people can do some pretty interesting things with a scrap of information.