FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I First got my Eco in 16 because I wanted to get out of a high strung Audi and the GT was 10k more with a daughter in college. All it had was an intercooler. Then 2 years later and of course wanting a GT I sold my motorcycles and saved a bit and started the GT search to trade the Eco in. It was the most disappointing search I have had searching for an expensive sports car. I was disappointed with the Gt's I drove. I just wasn't ready for the lack of torque down low during everyday driving compared to the eco. All the GT's were stock though. All Gt's were 10-12k more then my eco and didn't impress. I went and bought a whole another car for the price. Got a nice 05 GT that is FBO and tuned and runs pretty good for 10k.

But last year I finally found a reasonable deal on a 16 GT. I still miss the torque. I still say the Ecoboost is the most underappriciated car out there and really MUST by run on 93 OCT. And in some ways the GT is the most overrated. Its fun in the higher RPM's but a bit lack luster down low during everyday driving for me. The tuning and has helped some and I'm content for now but I sure miss the torque that my previous turbo cars had. If I could trust an Eco to not Ecoboom, I would love the power of a tuned Eco more then a GT as a daily.
Im hoping my ford tune with ic is a good pair for long haul. Im hoping for 150k-200k out of my engine. 34k so far and sheā€™s been great. I tuned at 1k miles
Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
m hoping my ford tune with ic is a good pair for long haul. Im hoping for 150k-200k out of my engine. 34k so far and sheā€™s been great. I tuned at 1k miles
I think it is probably your safest option. I had a CPO 100000 warranty so I didn't risk that by tuning. I was at 60000 when I sold. My co working is at 140k and running like new yet. He is not tuned either though. It REALLY seems so hit or miss on the ecoboom. Some tuned, some stock and usually when just driving at low speeds. It almost looks like no one ever blew up one racing it. They seem safer at high rpm. Partly the reason I always drove in sport mode to keep from lugging it.

Pair your Ecoboost with some good suspension and your decent tune and you really have fun sportscar that is much better then the lack of respect Ecoboost's get.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I think it is probably your safest option. I had a CPO 100000 warranty so I didn't risk that by tuning. I was at 60000 when I sold. My co working is at 140k and running like new yet. He is not tuned either though. It REALLY seems so hit or miss on the ecoboom. Some tuned, some stock and usually when just driving at low speeds. It almost looks like no one ever blew up one racing it. They seem safer at high rpm. Partly the reason I always drove in sport mode to keep from lugging it.

Pair your Ecoboost with some good suspension and your decent tune and you really have fun sportscar that is much better then the lack of respect Ecoboost's get.
check and check and can confirm it feels super nimble:sporty.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2017-mustang-ecoboost-build-log.160535/

but. I paid 21.6k brand new for my leftover eb, 23k otd. (34k msrp) Add letā€™s say 10-12k in all mods, thatā€™s 33-35k. Worth it. But I wouldnā€™t of spent all that if I paid full price for car

some mods donā€™t count as a loss since I can remove, like subwoofer/amp/wheels tires.

Last edited:

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
"Lack luster down low" and yet manages to be faster in every measurable way. The only way a GT is "lack luster" is if you don't put the pedal down. Once again proving that the EB is the part-throttle king!
Actually you are right, the Ecoboost and any number of other Turbo cars, are the part throttle kings. It turns out 98% of the time I drive my car I'm at part throttle. The GT sure is pretty fun flat to the floor but I miss the effortless roll on power of the turbo cars. Thats fine if you and 99% of all GT owners don't care about low end torque and like to rev or give at least half to 3/4 throttle to get the torque. I like to short shift with solid torque casually without causing attention or sounding like a goon around town.

I actually pained myself and bought a used pedalcommander because I found myself just not used to pushing the GT pedal farther to enjoy it compared to my other cars. Honestly it really has helped as it automaticallly just pushes the pedal farther then I usually would. I was always thinking to push the pedal farther but usually not enough then push again farther.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Overwhelmed? Most here want to make it louder :giggle:
šŸ˜… What can I say? My original plan was to get a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Complete opposite direction from a Mustang, Eco or GT.

Ironic that I got my EcoBoost with the intention to drive it in Quiet Mode the majority of the time...except now I drive it in Normal or Sport most of the time.

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yup, no low end torque...GT in blue:
This is the type of torque I'm talking about Ecoboost in Pink. And yes the GT does have ok torque as yours and other graphs show, but all graphs are WOT. I just don't drive like that daily and I don't race. A few times a week I'll go full throttle here and there for the smiles but driving around sporty in the back roads, I miss the effortless control of gobbs of low end pull. I miss the power of of my little 4 cyl turbo tuned Audi with a flat WIDE torque curve that would roll on 60-100 without downshifting SO quickly. I'm old school. I remember when v8's had the torque and 4cyl's were the rev kings. Roles have reversed a bit now. Heck even saw a video below where the Eco beat the GT350 from a 30 mph roll race in 3rd gear by a bit. Yeah its a stupid race.

modded_ecoboost_mustang_vs_modded_gt_dyno.jpg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
This is the type of torque I'm talking about Ecoboost in Pink. And yes the GT does have ok torque as yours and other graphs show, but all graphs are WOT. I just don't drive like that daily and I don't race. A few times a week I'll go full throttle here and there for the smiles but driving around sporty in the back roads, I miss the effortless control of gobbs of low end pull. I miss the power of of my little 4 cyl turbo tuned Audi with a flat WIDE torque curve that would roll on 60-100 without downshifting SO quickly. I'm old school. I remember when v8's had the torque and 4cyl's were the rev kings. Roles have reversed a bit now. Heck even saw a video below where the Eco beat the GT350 from a 30 mph roll race in 3rd gear by a bit. Yeah its a stupid race.

modded_ecoboost_mustang_vs_modded_gt_dyno.jpg
im having a hard time processing this graph. wish they used 4 separate colors for the 2 torque 2 hp charts.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Yeah, not only is this graph hard to parse, as @FreePenguin mentioned, I'm not sure what it has to do with the GT350 "race" video. We're not talking about the Voodoo. We're not talking about modded EB's vs. GT's with just exhaust. We're talking about the FACT that the GT is a faster car. If you don't know how to use the throttle, I'm not sure how to help you. You already have Pedal Commander, not much else to it at this point.
Nobody's calling your car slow, pull up your pants and put the ruler away. They are referring to a subjective feel of driving the car not measuring hundredths at the finish. Driving the EcoBoost reminds me of the old big block cars where torque came on low and effortlessly but evaporated quickly. The Coyote feels more finicky but mostly because the power keeps building long after your Dr. Jekyll normal cruise RPMs into Mr. Hyde's violent ride zone up top. Awesome when you want to lay waste to some poser on a downshift but not a mild mannered, easy driving car by most standards. Same set of standards that led BMW to export the 325es here instead of the 325is back in the 80's.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
The race video was just a reference to the torque a little ecoboost can have in the lower RPM's where alot of us drive our cars daily. The chart was just a chart I saw awhile ago of a place that tuned both and the torque of the eco up to 4500 is pretty damn good. In reality I drive daily between 2500 to 4500 most of the whole time especially on the highway and this torque is awesome for passing and such. Sure the GT is a faster car in a race or when reving it out. Absolutely. And I really do enjoy that when I do run it hard. Everything is relative and to my other cars with big bottom end torque, the GT is more boring until I down shift multiple gears. Thats the other thing with an Automatic. The Coyote does have decent torque at close to full throttle. If I go heavy throttle to get the torque it will down shift multiple gears and rev to the moon. So I do paddle shift to apply plenty of throttle without the high reving. It was nice with high torque to apply a little throttle fall down one gear and just go.

I know how to use the throttle its just I'm just not used to having to push a peddle so far to get to the power. I'm getting more used to it. Fringe benefit is my wife and daughter are not afraid of it. They thought, like me too, it is gonna be tough to keep this almighty GT on the road. Both said wow this is pretty slow. I then explained you need to give it a lot of gas. And this is why I actually like the peddlecommander. It gives me the torque and acceleration I'm looking for without having to think about it.

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
My Ecoboost is protuned and almost FBO. I honestly break legal speeds wayyyy to much already just putting it to the floor for 1 second. I don't know how you Coyote boys don't end up in jail. I would like that V8 Sound, that's the only thing its missing. Both good cars though.

Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
This is the type of torque I'm talking about Ecoboost in Pink. And yes the GT does have ok torque as yours and other graphs show, but all graphs are WOT. I just don't drive like that daily and I don't race.
I feel you are confusing throttle response and torque. The torque is fixed, it's what the engine is capable of producing at a specific RPM range. I give you the GT throttle response is subdued, especially with the A10 -- but having the car in the right gear sitting around 2500-3000 rpm there is more than enough torque to give your passengers a face full of coffee with the slightest tap on the gas.

In fact, my wives Mazda 3 had a much more aggressive throttle response that gave the illusion it was fast -- until you actually needed the power to merge on the highway.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I feel you are confusing throttle response and torque. The torque is fixed, it's what the engine is capable of producing at a specific RPM range. I give you the GT throttle response is subdued, especially with the A10 -- but having the car in the right gear sitting around 2500-3000 rpm there is more than enough torque to give your passengers a face full of coffee with the slightest tap on the gas.
This is actually pretty much what is going on for me. In general I think most turbo cars give that all at light throttle nothing up top accelleration. From what I have seen in datalogs, at low throttle the turbo is still allowed to push in a lot of boost which is eccentially just adding more throttle. But then go full throttle and the boost is almost maxed out anyway so the accelleration is now all over. So the fact of having high torque to begin with and then pushing extra boost in down low with little throttle input, it gives a fun effortless quickness.

And I have found that the GT does have good torque but it requires a fair amount of throttle. In an automatic, this gets annoying as it is always downshifting multiple gears. The paddle shifters work great though.

Plus this is a weird one, but I noticed something with my other Infiniti cars I drive a lot. All the pedals are attached to the floor. In general I push towards the bottom. So the pedal only moves about half as far to go full throttle then the GT. My foot seems to have muscle memory of how far to push for a quick pass but that is not enough in the GT. I then push farther again. I guess the Pedalcommander now matches the same input I am used to with our SUV's. Yeah, this is pretty weird.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What? 10-25k is a small up charge?
I mean, if both cars was on the lot, for the same HIGH price. because these cars are NOT cheap. I'd go GT. but if I had to pick a ecoboost premium or a base GT, which I did have the choice at the time. I chose premium. I dont use 50% of my ecoboost power, as its a daily. so luxury was more to me than the extra hp. but some people, many here, would strip a premium for every hp they could get in weight savings and want all that power.

When I want to get my kicks, I play hard on my sport bike. maybe if I didn't have a sport bike and really wanted a car I could romp on hard, I guess GT would of been the perfect choice.
Sponsored