Sponsored

Removing resonators without cutting pipes

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Is there any product that is plug and play which keeps the existing exhaust note and exhaust mode (i.e normal is quiet and sport is loud)? The question includes full exhaust systems.

I looked at borla but it looks like the normal mode is significantly louder they say 70% of the stock sport, thats no good for me as I need normal to stay the same.

I dont want to cut the pipes and want to be able to return the car to stock if I wanted to.
I have a 2016 GT350 exhaust we just removed. It is cut at the axle back portion in order to carry into back home and I am going to list it for sale. Wife does not want any more spare parts in the garage, haha. Ping me if anyone is interested, it will be in the parts sale link in a few.
Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
The problem with cutting resonators out for me actually isnt so much returning the stock because technically you could always cut the straight pipes out and weld the resonator back.

The problem is I have had horrible experience when cutting exhaust is involved even in very reputable shops. The issue is even a slight bend during welding process (and the exhaust isnt fully flat, it has hills and valleys, goes up and down so you can just lay it flat on the ground while welding) will cause severe alignment problems and it will look bad.

I m very OCD and I can tell if those of you who did the pipe cutting method for the resonator brought your car to me, I m sure I can point out unevenness in your exhaust tips and drive you crazy:) I have seen first hand how these pipes are cut, its not like they take a laser precision cut and use robots to perfectly align them. Its as error prone as it gets.

I have had 3 exhaust jobs done in other cars in 2 different very expensive euro car shops, they both required multiple adjustments to make them look right.

So the whole thing with returning stock is probably the secondary reason.

Remember this, even a tiny 1 degree misalignment at that location can manifest itself into the tips being 1-2" up/down in the muffler area. Most people wont even look but I do:)
Are you talking about the exhaust tips? They are mounted to the rear fascia, not the exhaust? Seems to me you could add 3 spacers between the tips and exhaust pipes at the rear to center them, prior to welding.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Are you talking about the exhaust tips? They are mounted to the rear fascia, not the exhaust? Seems to me you could add 3 spacers between the tips and exhaust pipes at the rear to center them, prior to welding.
No i m talking about the pipes inside the tips.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I highly doubt most of our factory exhaust pipes are perfectly centered in the tips lol

But either way, to get what you want you either have to cut the exhaust and weld/clamp or buy the entire R factory exhaust (which could just as easily not be perfectly centered).

My shop actually tack welded the two pipes to thee support jig such that after they were cut they would be in the same exact position to weld the section of pipe on.

KenF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT350
Lethal OR pipes delete cats and are bolt in. Store your cats in the attic, if you need to either emissions test (my county doesn't require it) or sell car rebolt in cats and away you go. Is significantly louder in sport mode it does have additional rasp to the sound but I frankly like it, sounds mean. In normal mode it is slightly louder but very easy to live with aka doesn't annoy my wife.

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Lethal OR pipes delete cats and are bolt in. Store your cats in the attic, if you need to either emissions test (my county doesn't require it) or sell car rebolt in cats and away you go. Is significantly louder in sport mode it does have additional rasp to the sound but I frankly like it, sounds mean. In normal mode it is slightly louder but very easy to live with aka doesn't annoy my wife.
Requires a tune?

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
those do not get rid of the factory X pipeor the factory resonators.

Last edited:

KenF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT350
Requires a tune?
Yes requires a tune to basically turn off rear O2 sensor so you don't get a CEL.

those do not get rid of the factory X pipeor the factory resonators.
I know they don't I was providing a solution that bolts in and doesn't require cutting of stock parts in order to be able to easily and undetectably be able to go back to stock if necessary and give a performance and sound increase. If you want to fit all of that criteria you basically have a long tube header solution (some will bolt direct to factory mid-pipe) or OR legs like these.
Sponsored