Sponsored

Removing resonators without cutting pipes

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Is there any product that is plug and play which keeps the existing exhaust note and exhaust mode (i.e normal is quiet and sport is loud)? The question includes full exhaust systems.

I looked at borla but it looks like the normal mode is significantly louder they say 70% of the stock sport, thats no good for me as I need normal to stay the same.

I dont want to cut the pipes and want to be able to return the car to stock if I wanted to.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Negative. Either cutting or going buck wild.
It was probably not clear but I am aware there is no way to just replace the pipes without a full exhaust - the question is which exhaust resembles the GT350R exhaust the most, i.e all stock except no resonator. Borla is too aggressive in normal mode. I looked at Corsa and it looks like that one does not even have flaps anymore.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
It was probably not clear but I am aware there is no way to just replace the pipes without a full exhaust - the question is which exhaust resembles the GT350R exhaust the most, i.e all stock except no resonator. Borla is too aggressive in normal mode. I looked at Corsa and it looks like that one does not even have flaps anymore.
Just a thought, but if your goal is to be able to return the car to bone stock someday, why not see if you can buy a stock (non-R) exhaust from someone who upgrades to the Borla or other aftermarket, then cut and weld that one. That way, you could set your original system aside (still intact) for reinstallation someday, have a reasonable "quiet mode," and probably save a bunch of money by buying a fairly cheap OEM system that someone is willing to part with for a fair price.

Maybe put a "wanted" ad in the classified section?

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
^^ Good idea. I have been trying to get 100 bucks for my 16 GT exhaust but no takers. So it sits outside. No one can ship a factory exhaust. It's simply too big so finding one local would be ideal.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
i am one for keeping everything to return a car to stock, heck i even have the plastic from the seats and window stickers saved. But in the big scheme of things i wouldn't worry about cutting out the resonators, if you went to sell the car no one is going to notice the fact that resonators got deleted, nor will they probably care if it was done properly.

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
i am one for keeping everything to return a car to stock, heck i even have the plastic from the seats and window stickers saved. But in the big scheme of things i wouldn't worry about cutting out the resonators, if you went to sell the car no one is going to notice the fact that resonators got deleted, nor will they probably care if it was done properly.
Love it man, plastic bags, love it lol

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Nope, closest thing is Corsa system PN 14347, but requires cutting. Then if want back to stock need welding. (Update- I stand corrected regarding welding, could use exhaust band clamp to reinstall stock system.)

Attachments

Last edited:

bananastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Nope, closest thing is Corsa system PN 14347, but requires cutting. Then if want back to stock need welding.
Actually you do not need to weld back on the OEM exhaust after doing something like the corsa double X pipe. summit racing has excellent band clamps that work like a charm ,super easy to return to stock!

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
$1700ish I think for the full oem exhaust

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
That is the only option, but it aint cheap. Not sure how they ship that beast either
I would say shipping might be out of the question, but your local Ford dealer could in theory order it in and there wouldn't be any shipping.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The problem with cutting resonators out for me actually isnt so much returning the stock because technically you could always cut the straight pipes out and weld the resonator back.

The problem is I have had horrible experience when cutting exhaust is involved even in very reputable shops. The issue is even a slight bend during welding process (and the exhaust isnt fully flat, it has hills and valleys, goes up and down so you can just lay it flat on the ground while welding) will cause severe alignment problems and it will look bad.

I m very OCD and I can tell if those of you who did the pipe cutting method for the resonator brought your car to me, I m sure I can point out unevenness in your exhaust tips and drive you crazy:) I have seen first hand how these pipes are cut, its not like they take a laser precision cut and use robots to perfectly align them. Its as error prone as it gets.

I have had 3 exhaust jobs done in other cars in 2 different very expensive euro car shops, they both required multiple adjustments to make them look right.

So the whole thing with returning stock is probably the secondary reason.

Remember this, even a tiny 1 degree misalignment at that location can manifest itself into the tips being 1-2" up/down in the muffler area. Most people wont even look but I do:)
Sponsored