Sponsored

Has anyone installed the ZL1 tow hook without removing the front fascia?

foolwithtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
The bumper comes off easily, no reason to make things more difficult. The only thing you need to be careful with is the tabs on the sides when popping them off.
When you say we have to be careful with the tabs, how should we be careful exactly? Is there a technique to taking the bumper off without damaging the tabs? How do the tabs typically get damaged?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
When you say we have to be careful with the tabs, how should we be careful exactly? Is there a technique to taking the bumper off without damaging the tabs? How do the tabs typically get damaged?
I recall there was a hard to reach fastener, and then it pulled off ok. I'm not Jeff, but I took my time until I found the fastener and then the fascia came off. Maybe I took photos of it. I'll have a look.

Edited to add: nope, no photos

foolwithtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I recall there was a hard to reach fastener, and then it pulled off ok. I'm not Jeff, but I took my time until I found the fastener and then the fascia came off. Maybe I took photos of it. I'll have a look.

Edited to add: nope, no photos
Oh nooo. Thanks for looking though!

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Did you have to “adjust” the front fascia when installing it back? Or did it snap back into place? I’m worried about realigning the stripes.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Yeah I broke some of those tabs on a previous car which is why I have no appetite to remove the fascia on this car. I'm sure it can be done without any damage, but there is always some degree of risk, particularly since there is no way to do it other than pulling hard.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
how much did you guys pay for the zl1 tow hook?

the lower priced option on their site is initially listed for $150 but when you go click on purchase button is is $200 !!!

I just want to make sure my eyes are not messing with me or my computer is messed up .lol

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
how much did you guys pay for the zl1 tow hook?

the lower priced option on their site is initially listed for $150 but when you go click on purchase button is is $200 !!!

I just want to make sure my eyes are not messing with me or my computer is messed up .lol
You need to click through the options, I believe the $150 one is for a center mount which requires you drill the bumper.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I haven't removed a GT350 front bumper, but one thing I would do is make sure everything is nice and warm so that the plastic isn't brittle.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Just stay out of the sand traps.....
Problem solved. Lol

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It all comes off pretty easy. It looks worse than it is.
It's just time....

20190710_152716.jpg
Not always just time. That black block you see in your pics that the bumper cover slides between it and the fender may be no better aligned than other parts on these cars. If the gap is too small, the tabs may tear no matter how careful/slow you take it. One side on mine slides out like butter with plenty of clearance. The other side, that block and fender grab the bumper cover like vice-grips. I still can't believe I got it off with minimal tearing that still let it reassemble okay. Luck of the draw. I know the 2018 regular Mustangs have improvements but doubt any of that applies to the Shelbys.
Sponsored