Removing ppf with stripes

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That may not be a horrible idea but I think it largely depends on how that PPF lived its life. I’ve removed some 11 year old PPF from a lotus. It was yellowed and had a nice scorched earth look. Removing it sucked and it came off in small pieces. This car spent its life in Florida with lots of miles and UV damage.

On the other hand, My PPF installer had a 2006 R8 in his shop the other day with 13 year old PPF (this was the first car he ever installed PPF.) The car had 30,000 miles, was always garage kept and I suspect it didn’t sit outside baking in the sun while the guy was at work. The PPF shockingly still looked new.

edit: I forgot to add, typically the worse the PPF looks, the harder it comes off. If the film is broken down (yellowing, hazy, scorched earth) it has a tendency to come off in small bits or tear and you start to remove it. Same story with vinyl.
True. Also it might be worth bringing up is that the film has evolved over the years. My cars live in the garage and get little exposure to UV radiation. I imagine that would help to increase the life of the film on top of any technical advances in the film.

At the cost of PPF, any extra years helps rationalize the cost. PPF has saved my ass on so many occasions. I wouldn't consider not having it if I track my cars. Ive already dodged a bullet on the CFTP.
Sponsored