Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I have a sad story that starts with I saw the rock in slow motion...

That being said I am left with this awesome mark on the hood. I dont think it made it to the stripe, however I want to remove the PPF and deacon the car. Polish ans ceramic coat it before winter. Has anyone taken off PPF with stripes? Any issues.
3 (1).jpg
Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
I haven't had to do anything with it after installation.

BUT

During initial install they messed up a piece and had to redo it. Stripe came with it. They replaced the stripe on their $$$ since it was their fault. No big deal.

This was with Xpel Ultimate, your mileage will of course vary with other brands and/or installers.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
The stripes are going to come off with the PFF, be prepared.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Is your PPF cut to fit stripes or one piece covering the stripes?
Iā€™ve seen people condemn both practices. Iā€™ve never done PPF so I have no dog in that fight.
If the PPF is not one piece, youā€™d be in good shape, much easier and cheaper to fix.
From what Iā€™ve heard, if you are pulling the PPF, the stripes will probably come with it.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
Is your PPF cut to fit stripes or one piece covering the stripes?
Iā€™ve seen people condemn both practices. Iā€™ve never done PPF so I have no dog in that fight.
If the PPF is not one piece, youā€™d be in good shape, much easier and cheaper to fix.
From what Iā€™ve heard, if you are pulling the PPF, the stripes will probably come with it.
This is why my installer butted up to the edge of the stripes with Suntec on my car. He refused to apply PPF on the stripes. One option was to remove the stripes, apply PPF, and reapply stripes, I said no thanks and very happy with the results. My stripes are serving as PPF for that area of my paint and Iā€™m cool with that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Unfortunately I have a sad story that starts with I saw the rock in slow motion...

That being said I am left with this awesome mark on the hood. I dont think it made it to the stripe, however I want to remove the PPF and deacon the car. Polish ans ceramic coat it before winter. Has anyone taken off PPF with stripes? Any issues.
3 (1).jpg
I have had success with removing ppf over vinyl but I'm not sure if the technique would apply to a car hood that's double walled (or reinforced, or whatever you call it.). In one instance I went very slow removing the PPF with minimum heat and held the vinyl stripe down with a plastic vinyl applicator as I lifted the ppf. In the other instance I held a cold pack to the back of the panel while I applied just enough heat to the ppf to let the glue release. The cold pack kept the vinyl glue from heating up just enough so vinyl stayed adhered.

I cant stress enough how much of a pain in the ass both approaches were, and if your replacement vinyl is cheap enough, just be prepared to replace the vinyl.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
There's a good chance the stripes will come off. I had my front bumper, hood and roof redone. The owner of the shop was the one who did it, but even with his skills the stripes on the roof still came off with the Xpel. My car is always garaged, so I imagine anyone who parks their car outside in the elements will have an even higher chance of the stripes coming off with PPF removal.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
This is why my installer butted up to the edge of the stripes with Suntec on my car. He refused to apply PFF on the stripes. One option was to remove the stripes, apply PFF, and reapply stripes, I said no thanks and very happy with the results. My stripes are serving as PFF for that area of my paint and Iā€™m cool with that.
Sounds like what should be done by every PPF installer.

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
A lot of installer so there are no seams install the stripes over the PPF. You can do them both over or under.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I had mine applied over the stripes. The stripes are cheap if they pull off and need to be reapplied...the PPF will still be expensive to redo :)

Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
When I asked my installer if there'll be a problem removing PPF and damage stripes, he said that it wouldn't be a problem and stripes should stay if someone who will do this job knows how to. My installer removed PPF from lower part of the bumper without any damage or lifting the stripes due to small piece got under the PPF, but that was fresh after a couple days of installation. Like other said there is a chance stripes will come off. Try to find a very good installer to do this job.

rotnroby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 2500 Denali 2017 H2254 gt350
somebody Smacked my hood with maybe a set of keys ,
Left 3 dents which came out really good but left the SunTek with cuts which I think is considered a 1/4 hood protection covering about 18ā€ up.
I pulled on the PPF opposite a banana and it came in single piece , it was over the stripes .
i say it will pull off and not take any paint or stripes.
SunTek was applied 3 yrs ago
Rob

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
7F92C611-F735-485D-9403-BBC4D810DD86.jpeg
1E7DAA59-36BA-45CC-90CB-72674720CD61.jpeg

I had this nice hunk of metal come off a semi and skip off my hood. Xpel Ultimate and it did not cut all of the way through. My guy replaced that section and back in biz. My stripes are individually covered.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
When I asked my installer if there'll be a problem removing PPF and damage stripes, he said that it wouldn't be a problem and stripes should stay if someone who will do this job knows how to. My installer removed PPF from lower part of the bumper without any damage or lifting the stripes due to small piece got under the PPF, but that was fresh after a couple days of installation. Like other said there is a chance stripes will come off. Try to find a very good installer to do this job.
I was told the same thing. I was also told that you shouldnt keep the PPF for more than 7 years so that it would come off. Once you go past 7 years, it becomes very difficult to remove, so I am told.

YMMV

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I was told the same thing. I was also told that you shouldnt keep the PPF for more than 7 years so that it would come off. Once you go past 7 years, it becomes very difficult to remove, so I am told.

YMMV
That may not be a horrible idea but I think it largely depends on how that PPF lived its life. Iā€™ve removed some 11 year old PPF from a lotus. It was yellowed and had a nice scorched earth look. Removing it sucked and it came off in small pieces. This car spent its life in Florida with lots of miles and UV damage.

On the other hand, My PPF installer had a 2006 R8 in his shop the other day with 13 year old PPF (this was the first car he ever installed PPF.) The car had 30,000 miles, was always garage kept and I suspect it didnā€™t sit outside baking in the sun while the guy was at work. The PPF shockingly still looked new.

edit: I forgot to add, typically the worse the PPF looks, the harder it comes off. If the film is broken down (yellowing, hazy, scorched earth) it has a tendency to come off in small bits or tear as you start to remove it. Same story with vinyl.
Sponsored

Last edited: