Sponsored

Recommendations for replacement lug nuts.

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium
I replied but it didn’t post. Haynes has the spec at 100 for my wife’s C6 Grand Sport. Has anyone asked a tire repair place what they torque to? I’ve never had a lug nut come loose on any car I have ever had over the last 30 years. IMHO I personally would be concerned that a lug nut might snap off the stud at 150 more than one becoming loose at 100. That said, torque to 150 if if prefer. Now, let’s talk about the 10-2 steering wheel hand position. 🤣
What's the metric equivalent to the 10-2?

MB
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Meaty tyres on a GS …

Not comfortable with a single nut …

But then we have the big boys pulling 5G and jumping kerbs, on a single nut …

1716589824607-5l.jpg

It’s complete lunacy, I’m going to email them, requesting they convert to M14 and only torque to one ugga duga … :like:

WD :like:

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Ask NASCAR drivers if they’re comfortable with a single lug holding their wheels on flying around Daytona or Talladega. The NextGen cars moved to a single center lug. If they trust them, I wouldn’t be concerned.
I think Indy cars have a single nut, but I believe NASCAR has 5 lugs?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The NextGen NASCAR cars (which are running now) use the single lug. They used to be 5 but they just changed over with the new gen cars.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Also note the size of the lug on the F1 car WD posted above. Same for the exotic street cars, they are significantly larger than the 4 and 5 lug cars. For obvious reasons

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Honestly, I wouldn’t be comfortable driving any car that had the wheels held on with only one nut even at 400 ft lbs. Where would you even get a wrench capable of 400 lbs?
NASCAR switched to a center lug 3 years ago. If there's going to be an issue I'd think it would be there.

Screenshot_20240524_182116_Samsung Internet.jpg

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Meaty tyres on a GS …

Not comfortable with a single nut …

But then we have the big boys pulling 5G and jumping kerbs, on a single nut …

1716589824607-5l.jpg

It’s complete lunacy, I’m going to email them, requesting they convert to M14 and only torque to one ugga duga … :like:

WD :like:
😄
The NextGen NASCAR cars (which are running now) use the single lug. They used to be 5 but they just changed over with the new gen cars.
If that works it way down to passenger cars in the future with a single lug nut at a torque spec of several hundred, I’m screwed as I wouldn’t be strong enough to torque it down😂

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium
I don’t know the stud size, but the rear wheels are aluminum 19x12” with GM lug nuts. I haven’t been lucky enough to see a tire tech check the computer for a torque rating. My experience has been they have a certain amount of PSI in their impact wrench and tighten away. That why I always recheck when i get home.
PSI generated by their air system has nothing to do with it. Each size of stud/lug has a specific torque rating and there's a color code associated with the size. Tire shops, etc., use torque adapters and the color of the adapter is set to a specific amount of torque.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/RIMKOLO-Limi...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583657845301192&psc=1

You ever notice they use a socket to break the lugs loose but they don't use a standard socket to install them?

So, let's start looking at this a little differently. Our Mustangs have five studs, at 14mm each, so each wheel is held to the hub by the equivalence of a 70mm stud (2.755 inches for you SAE guys). What do you think the torque value would be for a 70mm stud? Might it be 400 ft lbs? I've torqued these size studs (in other applications) to as high as 600 ft lbs. There is literally no difference if a wheel is held in place by a single larger "spinner/lug" or the equivalent number of studs and lugs, the amount of torque holding the wheel to the hub is basically the same.

MB

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
😄

If that works it way down to passenger cars in the future with a single lug nut at a torque spec of several hundred, I’m screwed as I wouldn’t be strong enough to torque it down😂
Several exotics use them already and have for a while. ORRadTech posted a 1” 600 ft-lb torque wrench. It’s all about leverage when torquing that high. Look at how long the handle is on that sucker. It’s quite the large handle for that very reason

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
I have a serious hypothetical question for all of you who say under torquing is fine. I really hope that you will answer and answer honestly.
The question;
One of your closest family members is hit and seriously injured, maybe paralyzed or even killed, by a wheel that has come off another vehicle. It is later proven that the cause of the accident is that the wheel was knowingly under torqued by 1/3rd of its stated torque value. What do you do?

Is your torque wrench calibrated?

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
PSI generated by their air system has nothing to do with it. Each size of stud/lug has a specific torque rating and there's a color code associated with the size. Tire shops, etc., use torque adapters and the color of the adapter is set to a specific amount of torque.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/RIMKOLO-Limi...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583657845301192&psc=1

You ever notice they use a socket to break the lugs loose but they don't use a standard socket to install them?

So, let's start looking at this a little differently. Our Mustangs have five studs, at 14mm each, so each wheel is held to the hub by the equivalence of a 70mm stud (2.755 inches for you SAE guys). What do you think the torque value would be for a 70mm stud? Might it be 400 ft lbs? I've torqued these size studs (in other applications) to as high as 600 ft lbs. There is literally no difference if a wheel is held in place by a single larger "spinner/lug" or the equivalent number of studs and lugs, the amount of torque holding the wheel to the hub is basically the same.

MB
My father in law is a retired heavy equipment mechanic. He was torquing bolts on Caterpillar dozers, loaders, etc. He still has all his tools, some of the torque wrenches and sockets are enormous!

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT

Example:

MB
So an air compressor with 150 lbs max could actually torque much higher just by changing the colored extension stick?

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Several exotics use them already and have for a while. ORRadTech posted a 1” 600 ft-lb torque wrench. It’s all about leverage when torquing that high. Look at how long the handle is on that sucker. It’s quite the large handle for that very reason
Mine is a Craftsman with a max of 180 I believe. I would only trust its accuracy to around 120 or so. I used it to torque my BMR frame cross brace to 100 fp and was about to eat some spinach at that point. 😂

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Are you trying to compare an air compressor's PSI rating to the settings on a torque wrench? Doesn't work that way.

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium
My father in law is a retired heavy equipment mechanic. He was torquing bolts on Caterpillar dozers, loaders, etc. He still has all his tools, some of the torque wrenches and sockets are enormous!
I have a Snap-On 1" drive dial type torque wrench that I used to torque head bolts on V12-1710 Cummins to 600 ft lbs. Cats are roughly the same Values and Detroits not as much for the 53, 71 and 92 series, but the 60 series was in the ball park with Cat and Cummins. That was in my teens and 20's....I've now been a Design Engineer for many years.

MB
Sponsored