Rear window support brackets on convertible

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
All, I was asked to report back to give everyone an update on this fix. Yes, after 6 months the fix is still in place. The Ford dealership did the work so I can not give you too many specifics. However I can tell you that the clip must go on a specific way onto the rod, and the foam block must be in a very specific place. Below is the CAS and CRM numbers from Ford. The dealership that did the work was Five Star Ford in Plano, TX. Ask for Chris in Service (972) 905-3531

CAS-7819250/2015 Mustang CRM:01116000000374
drstara,
Thanks for reporting back and glad the fix held for you.
Can you explain what the numbers listed above refer to? Do they somehow supply info to an owner, or do they have some specific meaning to any dealer's service department.
Thanks again for reporting back!
Sponsored

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Those numbers refer to a case number that was opened by Ford when I went directly to them. When the dealership struggled to get any traction to fix the issue, I went directly to Ford and that was the case number that was provided. Other than that I don't know what they mean.

If you are going to your Ford Dealer, I would think these numbers mean something to them and with them they should be able to acquire the right repair kit. Even with that kit, if they are not installed properly the problem will not be fixed. My dealer tried several times to fix the issue until they got someone who knew what they were doing to do it right.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yesterday my dealer fixed the issue for the third time, and 24 hours later it is still fixed. Some history:

Ford had send 3 kits to fix it, all three kits the same, though the directions were slightly different. The first kit did not even have direction. The other two sets of directions are still misleading. My dealer believes there are two key to the fix that if not done right will cause problems.

1) The clips must align into the female end a very specific way. There is a groove that they must align to. They will still fit into the female end if NOT aligned with the groove, however this will cause a problem and potentially cause the fix to fail.

2) The fix it kit comes with a foam block. That block is very key. Originally my Mustang came with the foam block installed in the wrong direction. The other tricky part is the location of the foam block. In the instructions when describing the direction of the foam block, it looks as if they are telling you where to install it, when in reality they are only telling you the direction. It is very misleading. My dealer tells me there is an arrow on the floor telling you where to install it, and that is where it is to be placed, NOT in the location that is in the directions.

It has only been 24 hours, however we have put that top up and down no less than 15 times. It is still in place. Yes, I am concerned about the longevity of the solution given the criticality of a simple foam block, but we will give it a try.

Please reach out with questions. I will tell you what I know.
Good information for other very owners.

Now question:
Do you have those Ford instructions to scan and post here for reference - or did your Dealer retain them so you can get copies? I'm sure it would help others who are dealing with Ford Service Centers who are not "in the know"... Also do you know if a TSB was ever created?

JeffARB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'92 GT conv, '15 GT conv, '15 LE Kona AT #0015
2016 rental too...

FWIW my '15 GT 50th Anniv AP conv came with the right rear window bracket unattached, repaired last fall, haven't had enough time to be sure it will hold as she's been in winter hibernation... Just rented a '16 EcoBoost Prem conv 9/2015 build from National in FLL that had the same unattached rear window bracket... So it is still happening. Since I knew about this problem I reached in and popped it back into place... No clip or restraining mechanism present... It seemed to hold for my rental, but apparently still a problem.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Anyone able to find indentation orientation inside window bracket?

FWIW my '15 GT 50th Anniv AP conv came with the right rear window bracket unattached, repaired last fall, haven't had enough time to be sure it will hold as she's been in winter hibernation... Just rented a '16 EcoBoost Prem conv 9/2015 build from National in FLL that had the same unattached rear window bracket... So it is still happening. Since I knew about this problem I reached in and popped it back into place... No clip or restraining mechanism present... It seemed to hold for my rental, but apparently still a problem.
Assuming both of mine were back 'out', i was very surprised to notice the driver side was still 'in' after a few months. Maybe I had gotten lucky and the orientation of the rod's end clip (that can be rotated and has no set orientation :doh: ) happened to mate with the female receptacle's (reported) clip indent??? Next time I play with the 'out' passenger side. I'll see if I can feel any indentations inside the female hole of the bracket mounted to the rear glass.

Anyone else able to find indentation orientation inside window bracket where the rod end w/ clip inserts into?

Sponsored

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
I am on a business trip in the SW and Hertz gave me a '15 Vert. It has 15k miles on it and I had all the windows opened today and could not help but notice how much the rear window was blowing around. My '16 window does not move at all so my guess this 15 needs the fix.

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Mine are still in after I popped mine back in.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
If I cannot 'feel' where the location of the indents inside the window bracket are next time I pop my passenger support back in, I'll mark the rod ends clip with a sharpee and note the orientation I insert it at. (like 12 o'clock). Then I'll be motivated to pop it back in one 'hour' orientation clock wise each time I replace it. At least it will motivate me to replace it instead of just giving up.
;)

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha Ha, just put my top up and both came back out. That's what I get for running my mouth.

racerttx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Base
Mr. Stara, I'm glad to hear your repair is still good.

Everyone with this issue should simply visit your local Ford dealership and have them submit a request to the Ford Hotline to replace the entire top ($7k repair) due to the rear window support bars repeatedly coming loose during operation. Once they investigate they should very quickly jump to deny the 7k repair and send a 'kit' containing the clips and foam block. As far as I know there is no part number for this kit, no TSB or anything as it will have to be pieced together and sent from one of the engineers.

I did have someone call me and I am working on getting the instructions, I will share the info when I locate it.

Sponsored

contourrob217

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium Convertible
After reading this thread I walked outside to my vehicle and noticed that my driver's side rod is not attached. I have always had concern with the amount of shaking of my convertible window and now understand the reason. I tried to re-insert the rod however it comes out with minimal effort. I've setup an appointment to bring my vehicle into the dealership for this Saturday. Any advice on what I can tell them to order now so I can possibly have the fix completed Saturday (instead of it being a diagnostics visit)? Thanks in advance.

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took my car to the dealer on Thursday, I was told there is no bulletin or TSB from ford about this. They have no idea what parts to order. I showed them this thread with cas numbers and other dealers that have tackled this issue and the response I got was they are not gonna call another dealer, they will call ford. So I have an appointment Thursday for them to have the car all day. They will do something, like reinstall only to have me come back.

Last edited:

racerttx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Base
I was able to find the instructions for the clip replacement, still working on the foam block installation instructions. If I can't get my hands on the original illustration I will make one. :D

http://fearsvt.net/Scan0003.pdf <-- Clip Replacement Instructions

Foam block placement illustration on the way!

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer ordered the clip replacements today, they are still not sure about the foam block...

Parts are to be here tomorrow and the car fixed. We shall see.

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, no parts today, no car for the weekend, not that I need it. 5 days to fix this though. Asked them to order parts a week ago when I made the appointment, nope. Sigh.
Sponsored