Sponsored

Rear window support brackets on convertible

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Anyone notice an issue with the rear window support brackets on the convertible?

There is a support bracket on each side of the rear window. It is aligned to the middle of the window on the left and right side. When the top is up, you can notice the outline of the bracket in the top.

I noticed that my top only had a bracket on one side. After some investigation, the second bracket was there, but not attached to the window. I took it to the dealership and we walked around the lot looking at other cars and noticed several had the same issue. Ford originally had not heard of the issue and asked the dealer to order a complete new top. After the weekend, they called the dealer back and told them the were going to be issuing a repair kit.

Anyone here having the same issue?
Sponsored

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still having an issue

Has anyone with a convertible Mustang notice this issue? The brace arms that should attached to the rear window are not attached? If you don't look at them specifically it is very difficult to notice.

Ford issues a "kit" that included two plastic clips and a sponge. Not sure what the sponge was for, but after replacing the two plastic clips, I still have the same problem. Finding it difficult to get answers.

Anyone have this issue?

JeffARB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'92 GT conv, '15 GT conv, '15 LE Kona AT #0015
After reading this thread I checked my top... 12/14 build... Sure as anything I have the brace on my left but not the right! I wondered why my window would jiggle more than my old S197 convertible! This explains it... drstara, do you have a bulletin number or part number for said "kit" that Ford issued for this? I'll add this to my list... Trying to work out an EPAS gremlin on mine too. THANKS!

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is part of the problem, I don't think Ford is taking this seriously. The "kit" I referred to is the two plastic clips that should adhere to brace arm to the window. We put it in my car and after taking the top down 2 times, they both failed. Any idea how to get Ford's attention on this one?

Sponsored

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wesley, no the window will not pop out. The window is part of the top, the brace arm simply holds it sturdy as well as provides structure to the top when it is up.

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have a convertible, please check to see if there are support arms on each side of the rear window when it is up. You should actually see the outline of the brace in the top when it is up. You can definitely feel them.

I am trying to tell Ford this is a bigger issue than they realize. I looked as 4 different cars today and 2 of them were missing/had unconnected at least one of the braces.

Thanks for your help

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible 50 Years Edition
Just checked my rear window. The only thing there are the 2 connectors for the rear window defroster. There are no brackets for support. The window is sewn into the top and is allowed to move along with the top.

Can you post some pictures of what you're talking about please. I would like to see yours as a comparison. With every convertible I have had, there seems to be a lot of movement because they are soft tops. This one seems to be no different from my past cars, just better materials.

:shrug:

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those 2 connectors you referred to are also the connector for the brace arm to connect to. If you reach under there to actually feel the connector, you will notice a hole in each of them that runs from the outside to the window. That is where the brace arms should attached. You should notice the brace arms simply laying in the space where the mechanism folds into. None of mine are connected either.

In the attached picture (not my car) you will see the outline of the brace arms that hold that rear window. This is the way it is suppose to be.

Not sure why some stay in place and others do not, but many that I have seen have this problem and most don't even know it.
Picture top brace arms.png

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok thanks. I will look for them. I know mine is smooth on both sides as it sits.

Sponsored

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After climbing my ass into the rear seating area and inspecting it, I have a bracket on each side. The only problem is they are just laying there. Neither one is attached to the rear window. I took it to my dealer to get the ball rolling and they had a 2016 white convertible sitting there. Both brackets were attached to the window. I actually had to go up to the car and feel for them as they are nowhere near as prominent as what is in the picture above. But they were there and they were both attached. The dealer is calling Ford to see what the fix is and will schedule an appt when the get the goods.

This is actually the first flaw with my car I have found. I'm starting to believe that these are breaking when the top is used and not that somebody forgot to attache it. I could be wrong but I have a hard time believing someone at FRA, forgot to check something like that. No biggie. They fix it, and I go on my merry way with what's left of my hair, in the wind.

:cheers:

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please let me know what how your dealer solves the problem. I know for a fact that there are MANY cars with this problem, but unless you know of it, most dont even know it is an issue.

I have been dealing with the problem for 4 months with no answers yet. I have escalated to Ford. Like you, this is the only issue I have. the car is a beautiful car and I know with the right attention this can be solved.

Please let me know how you get this resolved

NFS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT convertable
Just checked mine, drivers side is broke/not connected and passenger side sill there. Cant tell if connected though. Defiantly can tell when looking at with top up. haven,t looked at car much with top up. down more than up. One more thing to add to the list. Weatherstrip on order for flaking.

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I think this is a larger problem than Ford knows. Please let me know how your dealer handles the situation.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I just went out to check mine. Both brackets are there, nice and tight. They are not as prominently visible as 'drstara's' photo, but feeling on the outer fabric...they are there.
One less item to worry about...my convertible was one of the 4,000 held at FRA for more than six weeks last winter.
Sponsored