Sponsored

Rear window support brackets on convertible

tolzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Convertible
Solution is Ford needs to fix this for a car that cost $40k to have issues like this is just nuts , severely disappointed and I really wanted to like this car. Now every time I operate the top I'm expecting something else to break , rattle or fall off. Just getting real pissed and to say other manufacturers have problems is true but you wouldn't think an iconic car like this would have problems happen at these rates. I have owned a lot of cars over the years to include American , German and Japanese and for problems in the first year Ford wins! :frusty:
Sponsored

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
Because everything is rotating, not sure this would work. ( if I'm understanding you correctly) The retainer clip also works as a bushing which makes things tricky. Dave, have you been to your dealer yet? It's warranty work.
Chris - no disagreement here. Dealer/Ford (under warrantee) is the way to go.

I know Dave had tried some DIY interim fix with tape. Guess I was thinking my gasket would roll over the main body of the tip, then roll back under the flanges of the tip, and maybe push them out with a bit more force (once they are inside the female receptacle). And yes, I do think the entire thing rotates (the tip rotates around the rod, so would seem to me the flanges are the failure point), but in my mind the gasket would rotate with the rest of it. Again, just brainstorming. I might just try it, if the dealer fix doesn't work.

Fully agree with all, PITA that we have to do this at all.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Chris - no disagreement here. Dealer/Ford (under warrantee) is the way to go.

I know Dave had tried some DIY interim fix with tape. Guess I was thinking my gasket would roll over the main body of the tip, then roll back under the flanges of the tip, and maybe push them out with a bit more force (once they are inside the female receptacle). And yes, I do think the entire thing rotates (the tip rotates around the rod, so would seem to me the flanges are the failure point), but in my mind the gasket would rotate with the rest of it. Again, just brainstorming. I might just try it, if the dealer fix doesn't work.

Fully agree with all, PITA that we have to do this at all.
With a few folks here having already had 'dealer fixes' that did not hold up, I am not anxious to waste my time. MY dealer is 2 hours away. the nearest dealer is 35 mins away. I'm not in a hurry to waste half a day waiting for a fix that will just re- break. That is why I am waiting to see if a REAL fix is found. I can replace the clips myself in a few minutes so I'd prefer Ford to ship me some clips, preferably more than just two, to save us both a lot of time.

Anyone recall the cost of the clips? I'd even prefer to spend $10 out of pocket to get a pair of clips shipped to my house in order to avoid the dealer time suck. the tape I used is likely less bulky than a rubber band placed in the same place. But thanks for the brain storming. You might ask to see the clips before installed so you know what you're dealing with the next time you go to get it repaired. :eyebulge:

Best of luck for a first time fix though! :)

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
It might be fixed

Yesterday my dealer fixed the issue for the third time, and 24 hours later it is still fixed. Some history:

Ford had send 3 kits to fix it, all three kits the same, though the directions were slightly different. The first kit did not even have direction. The other two sets of directions are still misleading. My dealer believes there are two key to the fix that if not done right will cause problems.

1) The clips must align into the female end a very specific way. There is a groove that they must align to. They will still fit into the female end if NOT aligned with the groove, however this will cause a problem and potentially cause the fix to fail.

2) The fix it kit comes with a foam block. That block is very key. Originally my Mustang came with the foam block installed in the wrong direction. The other tricky part is the location of the foam block. In the instructions when describing the direction of the foam block, it looks as if they are telling you where to install it, when in reality they are only telling you the direction. It is very misleading. My dealer tells me there is an arrow on the floor telling you where to install it, and that is where it is to be placed, NOT in the location that is in the directions.

It has only been 24 hours, however we have put that top up and down no less than 15 times. It is still in place. Yes, I am concerned about the longevity of the solution given the criticality of a simple foam block, but we will give it a try.

Please reach out with questions. I will tell you what I know.

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible, 50 Year Edition
I checked mine last night and neither side is connected. I didn't get a chance to go 1/2 way up and check for the rods down in the wells, will do so this weekend.

Looks like I need to visit my dealer again.

Sponsored

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
Just back from Dealer. Had driver's side bar replaced. One of the little flanges was broken off of the plastic tip. Best I can tell the "part" is the tip with the bar. I asked and it doesn't look like the tip itself is a replaceable item. Anyone know for sure? I've cycled numerous times since back from the dealer, and seems to be working OK. I cycle the top a lot and will monitor continuously. Didn't get the chance to look at directions or other materials so am in a wait and see mode regarding the fix.

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
Just back from Dealer. Had driver's side bar replaced. One of the little flanges was broken off of the plastic tip. Best I can tell the "part" is the tip with the bar. I asked and it doesn't look like the tip itself is a replaceable item. Anyone know for sure? I've cycled numerous times since back from the dealer, and seems to be working OK. I cycle the top a lot and will monitor continuously. Didn't get the chance to look at directions or other materials so am in a wait and see mode regarding the fix.
Well, it lasted a week, and drivers side has now popped back off. PITA, back to the dealer.

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
WAY back in January of this year, I took delivery of my car, the top (Last bow) was crooked. Ford had engineers fly to my dealer and create the top fix. The KIT (from what I was told) was created from my poor little car, she sat in the shop for three weeks for the R&D guys to fly parts back and fourth to test. I was told by my dealer that it was a unique process they had never been through. For my patience I got an extended service and warranty plan for the car. Not a bad deal.

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have the procedures or diagram for how this repair is supposed to be done? I have my dealer going for another try and am trying to provide all info I can. I've heard of a diagram, a foam part, and a particular aspect that the male rod fitting goes into the female window bracket, that goes with the repair kit. Anyone please?

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have the procedures or diagram for how this repair is supposed to be done? I have my dealer going for another try and am trying to provide all info I can. I've heard of a diagram, a foam part, and a particular aspect that the male rod fitting goes into the female window bracket, that goes with the repair kit. Anyone please?
Both of my rods are out again so I am very interested also in any fix that has worked. I don't know if it would even be worth the bother, But I have considered asking Ford Service on this site to send me four or more of the plastic clips, so I can try replacing them a few times on the off chance that they will hold for longer than week.

Sponsored

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
Both of my rods are out again so I am very interested also in any fix that has worked. I don't know if it would even be worth the bother, But I have considered asking Ford Service on this site to send me four or more of the plastic clips, so I can try replacing them a few times on the off chance that they will hold for longer than week.
DRSTARA (above) seemed to be on to a fix. His dealer evidently had a diagram and they discussed the importance of the placement of the foam piece and the orientation of the tip when inserted into the fitting on the window side. Have described in general terms the above to my dealer - but sure wish I had diagram/procedures to show him. He was hoping there was some type of TSB to which to refer, but I don't think there is a TSB. FORDSERVICE any suggestions or help you can provide with this procedure?

Jim05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback
Pics from inside

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I took some pics to make it easier to find for those who might be unsure. At least now I know why my top pops when closing, and how my torn headliner was caused.
20160219_094314168_iOS.jpg
20160219_094219770_iOS.jpg

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Both of mine were laying down and popped out, seems every vert owner is going to deal with this. I was able to get mine back in myself but know they will come out once the top goes down.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Yesterday my dealer fixed the issue for the third time, and 24 hours later it is still fixed. Some history:

Ford had send 3 kits to fix it, all three kits the same, though the directions were slightly different. The first kit did not even have direction. The other two sets of directions are still misleading. My dealer believes there are two key to the fix that if not done right will cause problems.

1) The clips must align into the female end a very specific way. There is a groove that they must align to. They will still fit into the female end if NOT aligned with the groove, however this will cause a problem and potentially cause the fix to fail.

2) The fix it kit comes with a foam block. That block is very key. Originally my Mustang came with the foam block installed in the wrong direction. The other tricky part is the location of the foam block. In the instructions when describing the direction of the foam block, it looks as if they are telling you where to install it, when in reality they are only telling you the direction. It is very misleading. My dealer tells me there is an arrow on the floor telling you where to install it, and that is where it is to be placed, NOT in the location that is in the directions.

It has only been 24 hours, however we have put that top up and down no less than 15 times. It is still in place. Yes, I am concerned about the longevity of the solution given the criticality of a simple foam block, but we will give it a try.

Please reach out with questions. I will tell you what I know.
I gave up on trying to fix. Figured I wait for this thread to develop/ find a fix.
Can you report that your 'fix' has held?
If so, any way to document in detail how your dealer got them to stay put?

If so, I would try getting a kit, hopefully free from Ford Service on this site, then carefully follow directions to install. I would not trust 'Joe tech' at the dealer to care enough to follow detailed instructions (especially bad if directions are actually incorrect!). If he popped the arms in, he'd probably figure he did it right... Until top is cycled two times... :doh:

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Status of repair

I gave up on trying to fix. Figured I wait for this thread to develop/ find a fix.
Can you report that your 'fix' has held?
If so, any way to document in detail how your dealer got them to stay put?

If so, I would try getting a kit, hopefully free from Ford Service on this site, then carefully follow directions to install. I would not trust 'Joe tech' at the dealer to care enough to follow detailed instructions (especially bad if directions are actually incorrect!). If he popped the arms in, he'd probably figure he did it right... Until top is cycled two times... :doh:

All, I was asked to report back to give everyone an update on this fix. Yes, after 6 months the fix is still in place. The Ford dealership did the work so I can not give you too many specifics. However I can tell you that the clip must go on a specific way onto the rod, and the foam block must be in a very specific place. Below is the CAS and CRM numbers from Ford. The dealership that did the work was Five Star Ford in Plano, TX. Ask for Chris in Service (972) 905-3531

CAS-7819250/2015 Mustang CRM:01116000000374
Sponsored