mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
mpwillis,
Please do ask the procedure. If it is just replacing the clips on the ends of the rods, you might want to (or not ;o) ask them to try gently pulling the rod back out after popping it in, to confirm it is held in place securely. If they can say whether the window bracket has any chance of having a faulty/worn internal part, that would be good to know. :)

When I found this thread and also found both my rods laying unattached:
1) Driver's side popped in and I was easily able to pull it back out. I have not operated the top much since then, but it is still in place.
2) Passenger side rod popped back in and I was NOT able to easily pull it back out. I did not use a lot of force trying to pull each back out, but the first one came right back out.

It would be helpful info to know if they pop out due to a mechanical issue that exerts too much force on that connection, --OR-- If the connection is weak by design and normal operation pops the rods out.

If you think of it, ask if the 3/4" straps belong outside the rod (between rod and canvas top), or inside of the rod (between rod and window).

No worries if this is too much detail to ask (or expect from dealer ;)).
Thanks
Happy to do. Good relationship with the dealer. Plan to do this and seat cooling together. Seat parts are in, waiting for top approval and parts.

Will post here when more is known.
Sponsored

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
I just checked both of mine and they are attached and seem very secure.

BUT...

I did find this when I raised the top half way. I spotted it in the driver's side roof well just at the trunk (if you know where I mean). Not sure if was forgotten by the dealer detailer during prep or maybe clean up at the factory.

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Update
Mine are still in place after I reattached the one on the passenger side about 3 weeks ago.

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
Question to everyone. Is this the type of problem that would require Ford to buy back the car if I took the Lemon Law route?
No. It has to either be a safety issue, or one that dramatically affects the resale value.

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
All, Been waiting to have both seat cooling (TSB parts and approval in for some time) and vert top rods done at the same time, as the dealer is about 45 mins away. Dealer took some top rod photos 2 weeks ago, and Ford asked for more pictures again this week. With the second picture submission, dealer has go-ahead from Ford for warranty repair of top rod(s). In discussion with Ford, dealer mentioned that Ford said they had been seeing this rod pop issue quite a bit. Almost certainly a design flaw that torques the rods out with top movement, but it is most likely going to be dealt with as a part failure. Strongly suggest that all vert owners use this thread for info and check rod placement. It's very unlikely you would see/hear a displaced rod, unless you look for it. You might notice a bit of rear window movement on the side(s) where the rod has popped out, particularly with top up and windows down. Good news is that it fails in a apparantly non-destructive fashion, and just lays down in the top side well. Unknown are the longer time issues for a top with a lot of moving parts, or unusual wear issues, particularly on either side of the rear glass. My issue has been solely with the driver's side, although some members here have had issues on both sides.
Have already discussed with the dealer getting some discussion/description of the repair procedure when it's done and hopefully some pics. I will happily post when I have some more info.

Sponsored

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I think mine are in properly.

I raised the roof in stages and still couldn't touch where the rod supposedly connects to the glass but the rod rose with the roof in unison. I was to move the rod up and down and the glass moved with it.

when the roof is up there's a little bit of play on the glass if you press on it, about an inch or so because there's nothing but fabric holding it in place on the top and bottom edges - the rods only hold the side edges.

An aside, 303 fabric protector is awesome. I must of have lowered the roof after a sprinkle and it wasn't 100% dry. When I raised the roof I had 3 or 4 water droplets on either side and they were all beaded and was able to wipe them up with a towel

When I wash the car I don't purposely wash the roof but it gets wet and I'm able to just wipe the roof with a towel and it dries almost instantly

tolzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Convertible
So reading the forums I come across this and after reading go and check , damn another issue. between the seats , vibration and rattles starting to regret trading a Camaro that after 4 years had zero problems. Going to try the dealer next week and start the process and see where it ends up. maybe that's why you don't see Quality Job 1 anymore.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Update & DIY fix attempt

...considered trying any DIY fixes?

A suggestion from my earlier post... "MAYBE there is a way to put shim material under the two tabs on the retaining clip to help them 'press out' a little more strongly??? --OR-- put a layer of tape around the retaining clip to hopefully make it stay in better." ANY other ideas anyone can think of as I am betting we are on our own on this one.

I'm not one holding hopes that Ford will decide this is an issue worth their attention given their lack of factory direction/support for the drive line vibration issue that still continues (Poll thread started January '15 shows 38% of respondents reporting this problem)
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=821142#post821142
Update:
Mine are both out again. But while they were still 'in' I still noticed a fair amount of in/out movement of the glass from wind buffeting (top up, windows down). It made me think that the amount of buffeting with rods 'in' may contribute to the wear/ failure of the rod's end clips.

Fix attempt:
Passenger side.
Looking at both 'out' rods, the passenger side clip, which looked perfect before (though out), now has one of the two clip tabs broken off. I cut an ≈ 1/4" wide strip of electrical tape and wrapped around the clip, but going 'under' the two flexible retaining tabs (one good one broken off). Three wraps I think. It was very hard to cram it back into the hole. I used some spit as temporary lube (that would dry) when inserting it. I had to reach to the opposite side of window an press as hard as I could while wiggling the window around. it finally went in.

Driver's side.
This side's clip had both tabs, but as before, one tab's edge was scraped off a bit. My first attempt of 3 layers of 1/4" wide tape, it only went in 1/2 way. I removed one layer and was able to force in with even more difficulty (much more wiggling of window and more muscle to pull on opposite side of glass against rod).

I closed roof and will leave it alone for a day or so to let the tape adapt/settle. I suspect both sides will pop back out. The theory of this idea does not seem as good after applying it into action. I'll report back, but I think I'll be ordering some new clips. I think the minimum Ford could do is 'give' free clips to the DIY'ers as it saves them a lot of labor.

Maybe we can get a Ford Cust Serv. rep active on this site to help those on this thread out in this regard. We can wait to see if more members that actually go to their dealers have continued non- fixes, then pass that along to the CS rep here on this forum.

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
Dave. Noble effort. Thanks for all of your persistence and innovation on this. I'll stay posted. I'm hoping we can motivate Ford to engineer a lasting solution. $$ Potential for top mechanism failure is high. Alignment is a big part of long-term soundness. Should be taking mine in this week, and plan to be involved in the solution. I want to see the procedure for this and the seat cooling TSB. Will post when/if I know more.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Dave. Noble effort. Thanks for all of your persistence and innovation on this. I'll stay posted. I'm hoping we can motivate Ford to engineer a lasting solution. $$ Potential for top mechanism failure is high. Alignment is a big part of long-term soundness. Should be taking mine in this week, and plan to be involved in the solution. I want to see the procedure for this and the seat cooling TSB. Will post when/if I know more.
Any insistance you can apply to get specific hard info on what the mechanic did or tried to do to fix the issue is greatly appreciated. Usually dealers cannot be bothered to actually say what they did/tried with tricky issues. The random "Yes, we fixed it." is often worthless when the problem repeats and they just throw their hands in the air like heh, :shrug: what do you want me to do... :doh:

Some people have actually printed out threads from this forum to document their issue (drive shaft thread comes to mind) to 'help' the dealer get a perspective on the scope of a problem. They do like to default to "wow, first time I've seen this". Here's your SIGN... (documentation :D)

Good luck for your top and ours too.

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I took mine in for repair today. The service manager explained that the tech removed the liner to access the window and "implied" that he modified the retainer clip somehow. He wasn't clear exactly how the tech did it and the tech had gone home when I picked up the car.

I ran the top back and forth a dozen times and it held up which is far better results then I had my own attempt at repair.

I will report back in a week if repair holds up.
Well mine's been good for three weekends now. Made a point of running the top up and down a few dozen times. I know this is useless to most of you because I still have no idea what the tech did to repair it. I will say that the drivers side retainer clip was broken and not replaced unless the guy had a spare lying around somewhere.

I will try to get more info when I return to have the flaking trim replaced.

Chris

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Update

My 'electrical tape' mod did not fix the issue, it just made them both pop out the first time opening the top the next day (I even heard two distinct pops).

I'll leave them hanging I guess and wait until we try asking the Ford service rep on the site for free replacements to be sent to those with continueing issues on this thread.

For anyone who bought them from your dealers parts dept, what did they charge you? Is there a discount online dealer that sells Ford parts well below regular dealer price?

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
So if another S550 convertible owner asks "How they hangin'?", you'll know what he means...

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
My 'electrical tape' mod did not fix the issue, it just made them both pop out the first time opening the top the next day (I even heard two distinct pops).

I'll leave them hanging I guess and wait until we try asking the Ford service rep on the site for free replacements to be sent to those with continueing issues on this thread.

For anyone who bought them from your dealers parts dept, what did they charge you? Is there a discount online dealer that sells Ford parts well below regular dealer price?
Just brainstorming on your DIY attempts. What if....very small rubber band or gasket - small enough to just fit over rod tip (stretching) and rod. Then roll back up under the flanges of the rod tip. Flanges on tip between rubber band/gasket and inside of the female fitting. Pushes out flanges yet still have low friction of tip inside the fitting. I'm not familiar enough with the parts to know if this is even feasible, but thought I would throw it out to you. Would only be good with tip with flanges still in place vice cracked off. BTW, Still waiting on all of my parts to be in and drop off at dealer. Good luck.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Just brainstorming on your DIY attempts. What if....very small rubber band or gasket - small enough to just fit over rod tip (stretching) and rod. Then roll back up under the flanges of the rod tip. Flanges on tip between rubber band/gasket and inside of the female fitting. Pushes out flanges yet still have low friction of tip inside the fitting. I'm not familiar enough with the parts to know if this is even feasible, but thought I would throw it out to you. Would only be good with tip with flanges still in place vice cracked off. BTW, Still waiting on all of my parts to be in and drop off at dealer. Good luck.
Because everything is rotating, not sure this would work. ( if I'm understanding you correctly) The retainer clip also works as a bushing which makes things tricky. Dave, have you been to your dealer yet? It's warranty work.
Sponsored