Sponsored

Rear Suspension Creak - Please Help!

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
Check your rear diff bushings, the driver side tends to rip out. I replaced my whole subframe since i wanted oem bushings.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium, 50 Years Pkg, DIB, MT82
Check your rear diff bushings, the driver side tends to rip out. I replaced my whole subframe since i wanted oem bushings.
The bushing could be damaged and rotted out you mean?

Thanks!

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
they can be torn around the metal sleeve. mine was completely detached from the rubber before i changed it

OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
they can be torn around the metal sleeve. mine was completely detached from the rubber before i changed it
Best I could do today is to send these pics laying on the ground lol, no time to jack the car up. Drivers side might have a tear
101831271_3124983234229965_5589632462360674304_n.jpg
101140360_1173631119658601_1145965315444703232_n.jpg

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Based on the noise in the video, it sounds like something is either broken or is about to fall off. I've had a lot of odd squeaks and pops from my rear suspension but nothing remotely that loud or obvious. Double check all of the bolts but pay special attention to the spring perch orientation, the nuts on top of the shock mounts, and the forward lower control arm bolts. The aforementioned LCA bolts are pretty difficult to get to and are therefore likely to get missed when you check all of the other bolts, but you can at least confirm that they are not about to fall out. If you take the wheels off, take a bunch of pictures of the suspension components and post them here if the noise continues after you're done.

Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Wow, that’s way too loud of a creak dude. The way it sounds in the video, to me it sounds kind of metallic creak as if it’s a connected direct to the body of the car. Definitely check your rear upper shock mounts and their mounting points. There have been cases where the mounting plate behind the shock mount the sheet metal was torn\ damaged. The other place to look at is the vertical links. Even the oem ones can creak, but I don’t think they can get this loud. Another place I’d look would be the IRS Cradle mounting point where the BMR CB005 is installed. Good luck

OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Based on the noise in the video, it sounds like something is either broken or is about to fall off. I've had a lot of odd squeaks and pops from my rear suspension but nothing remotely that loud or obvious. Double check all of the bolts but pay special attention to the spring perch orientation, the nuts on top of the shock mounts, and the forward lower control arm bolts. The aforementioned LCA bolts are pretty difficult to get to and are therefore likely to get missed when you check all of the other bolts, but you can at least confirm that they are not about to fall out. If you take the wheels off, take a bunch of pictures of the suspension components and post them here if the noise continues after you're done.
Ok, crazy the previous owner had it for a year and said it has always done it, he BABIED the car and never drove it, I'm driving alot but not DDing completely. Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it. Will update soon and may have to send pictures if it doesn't work

Wow, that’s way too loud of a creak dude. The way it sounds in the video, to me it sounds kind of metallic creak as if it’s a connected direct to the body of the car. Definitely check your rear upper shock mounts and their mounting points. There have been cases where the mounting plate behind the shock mount the sheet metal was torn\ damaged. The other place to look at is the vertical links. Even the oem ones can creak, but I don’t think they can get this loud. Another place I’d look would be the IRS Cradle mounting point where the BMR CB005 is installed. Good luck
Yeah I really tried to make it creak there but its alot of body flex moments it happens! Thanks will do. Do I need to remove the 2 bolts from the shock mount to check that or just inspect? What could the issue be with the cradle mount? Ripped bushing or actully not lined up?

Appreciate all the replies all, its super hot here and in my garage but I should be working on it in the next few days

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I would go so far as to drop the subframe one side at a time and retorque the bolts. While the subframe is dropped, you can remove the two 18mm bolts on the shock mount so that you can check behind the mount and check the torque on the nut on top of the mount. A loose nut here tends to make more of a knocking sound, but since you said you already gave everything* a once over, I’m trying to give you some items to check that are less obvious. This is a pretty obvious noise, at least, so whatever the issue is should be quite apparent once you’re looking in the right place. This is a blessing because the IRS has the ability to make a lot of very subtle but still irritating noises.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Update! I got out and felt like I really narrowed it down tonight after playing with the jack and getting the sound to happen. It really sounds like its coming from the cradle lockout or very close to that area. Please see my video and pictures and let me know

102556467_634430177142274_4629358520871678831_n.jpg 102680189_648301309085481_233968827761244129_n.jpg 103476820_2705447449734146_2825350838133553584_n.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
What are you doing in the video that replicates the creaking?
Jacking the passenger rear suspension up and down with a floor jack. It also made the sound when jacking up the front passengers side frame rail earlier in the night, almost more.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
If you still have the factory brackets that BMR CB005 replaced, I would try removing the kit from the car both on front and rear of the subframe and mount the factory brackets back completely and see if the noise will persist, Just to rule out the BMR kit. If the noise goes away you want to thoroughly clean the kit and the body before mounting it back on the car.

OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Any other ideas? I couldn't get my ear close enough to confirm the lockout

If you still have the factory brackets that BMR CB005 replaced, I would try removing the kit from the car both on front and rear of the subframe and mount the factory brackets back completely and see if the noise will persist, Just to rule out the BMR kit. If the noise goes away you want to thoroughly clean the kit and the body before mounting it back on the car.
I dont have any of the stock parts. If I do take it apart and try this, does anything need grease? I'll make sure to clean thoroughly

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I don't think you need grease, because you want the cradle to lock onto the body, my guess is that dirt and debris made their way between the mating surfaces and they cause the squeak. But before you do any of that try having your car's under carriage thoroughly pressure washed to get rid of all the grease and dirt from underneath the car. having grease on some of the pressed bushings( like the ones on stock vertical links) is not good. I did that mistake on my dad's Mercedes trying to silence a squeak and its lower control arm slipped off of the pressed bushing(Granted it was a worn control arm but had I not silicon greased it, it wouldn't have slipped off.)

OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you need grease, because you want the cradle to lock onto the body, my guess is that dirt and debris made their way between the mating surfaces and they cause the squeak. But before you do any of that try having your car's under carriage thoroughly pressure washed to get rid of all the grease and dirt from underneath the car. having grease on some of the pressed bushings( like the ones on stock vertical links) is not good. I did that mistake on my dad's Mercedes trying to silence a squeak and its lower control arm slipped off of the pressed bushing(Granted it was a worn control arm but had I not silicon greased it, it wouldn't have slipped off.)
I haven't seen it at all on install videos and BMR's instructions so i'll take it as a no. That seems like a good idea, earlier it was mentioned to take off the vertical links and clean, I may want to start with that as I need to powerwash underneath anyway. I can take it to the self serve wash tonight or tomorrow. Taking it apart and cleaning the lockout doesn't really look like a tough job though!

If anyone else listens to my vid from last night and the noise screams something in particular let me know
Sponsored