Creak in rear suspension fixed

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So I finally fixed the creaking noise coming from my rear suspension and just wanted to share with you all in case anyone runs into the same problem.

I was getting this creaking/squeaking noise whenever I went over bumps or slow turns, entering into a gas station, etc. It had become very annoying and I felt like people outside the car wer judging me and thinking I turned it into a ricer. I'm like no!! It's actually a nice car!!

So, I found out the noise was coming from the right side and it was traced to the rear passenger upper control arm. The bushing had gone bad or detoriated. I can speculate why but I'm not going to. Shop tried lubrication which did not work so we replaced it. That solves the problem on that side.

BUT, after some driving, I heard it from the left side now. Turns it out was a dry bushing on the driver side rear. It's a bushing that helps connect the spindle to the lower control arm. The shop lubricated it with grease and that eliminated the creak. He says that the bushing does not have a grease fitting so it may be a case where every 3 or 4 oil changes, we may need to hit it with lubrication again. Or it might be fixed for the foreseeable future, we don't know.

Hopefully it stays this way. Just wanted to share this for anyone having creaking suspension noises. Have the bushings checked.
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
What bushing?

Are you referring to the Toe-Knuckle bushing?

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
What bushing?

Are you referring to the Toe-Knuckle bushing?
That is not what I heard it described as, plus I had them replace the toe-knuckle bushing with the bearing so it can't be that otherwise he would have told me. Plus that issue was there before the bearing replacement.

I have to look at the sheet to accurately report what he described. I think it is a bushing in the knuckle or "dog bones" as he called it.

Sorry. Let me get more clarification so I can update exactly which bushing it is.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
He said the problem was and I quote, "the bushing end of one of the "dog bones" that attaches the top of the rear spindle to the lower control arm." He removed it, cleaned it and lubricated the sleeve inside the bushing and re-installed. Noise subsided.

He also said that this joint may require regular librication to keep it from making noise.

Im not sure which part he is referring to, but the noise has subsided which is the important thing.

Ronstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium
ok so I am trying to figure out what bushings / bearings are for what, looking at this thread..

Are these all different bushings / bearings, or the same location replacements and does any of them fall into what your talking about with your creaking problem:

http://www.steeda.com/ford-racing-s550-mustang-irs-knuckle-and-hub-kit-15-16-all-m-5970-m/

and

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-knuckle-toe-link-bearing-1516.html

which come with the FP TP lowering kit, springs struts etc..

and then we have this bearing:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-m...arm-spherical-bearing-2015-2016-all-555-4117/

I am asking this because I'm about to do a diff swap from my base 3.3 to a 3.7 torsen, and want to change out any items and add items during the swap without having to go back to it again if you know what I mean labor and hassle wise.

Sponsored

hedonest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition orange 2015 GT
[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION], It would be great if you can get him to pin point the issue on a drawing/diagram. I am struggling with the same and so far below are my steps:
1. remove and re-install suspension (re-torque) along with cleaning toe rods with WD-40 as I have read as dirt accumulates, it can cause lots of cracking/squeaking noises
2. FKB-RERS3 dust boot for toe rod
3. Ford Performance Knuckle to Toe Link Bearing Assembly

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION], It would be great if you can get him to pin point the issue on a drawing/diagram. I am struggling with the same and so far below are my steps:
1. remove and re-install suspension (re-torque) along with cleaning toe rods with WD-40 as I have read as dirt accumulates, it can cause lots of cracking/squeaking noises
2. FKB-RERS3 dust boot for toe rod
3. Ford Performance Knuckle to Toe Link Bearing Assembly
The issue I had was with a stock camber arm. Both of them actually had it. One got replaced and the other the shop was apparently able to quiet it down with lubrication. The camber arm is a sort of U-shaped piece. My shop called it an upper control arm. Steeda sells upgraded camber arms that would probably hold up better. If I need them I'll know where to get that.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
So I finally fixed the creaking noise coming from my rear suspension and just wanted to share with you all in case anyone runs into the same problem.

I was getting this creaking/squeaking noise whenever I went over bumps or slow turns, entering into a gas station, etc. It had become very annoying and I felt like people outside the car wer judging me and thinking I turned it into a ricer. I'm like no!! It's actually a nice car!!

So, I found out the noise was coming from the right side and it was traced to the rear passenger upper control arm. The bushing had gone bad or detoriated. I can speculate why but I'm not going to. Shop tried lubrication which did not work so we replaced it. That solves the problem on that side.

BUT, after some driving, I heard it from the left side now. Turns it out was a dry bushing on the driver side rear. It's a bushing that helps connect the spindle to the lower control arm. The shop lubricated it with grease and that eliminated the creak. He says that the bushing does not have a grease fitting so it may be a case where every 3 or 4 oil changes, we may need to hit it with lubrication again. Or it might be fixed for the foreseeable future, we don't know.

Hopefully it stays this way. Just wanted to share this for anyone having creaking suspension noises. Have the bushings checked.
Is the rear noise gone for good? I had a strange clicking/popping noise from the rear on my lowering springs and it got annoying enough that I went back to stock springs when my shop couldn't figure it out. Back on stock springs noise is completely gone. I'm thinking of giving the lowering springs another try since the stock ride height is horrendous. Thought your info was pretty useful and could prepare me to check some things and probably fix the click/popping noise I was getting if it returns the 2nd time. It only happened when driving slow in parking lots or taking slow turns, moving the car from a dead stop (I have a manual) and reversing from a standstill.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Is the rear noise gone for good? I had a strange clicking/popping noise from the rear on my lowering springs and it got annoying enough that I went back to stock springs when my shop couldn't figure it out. Back on stock springs noise is completely gone. I'm thinking of giving the lowering springs another try since the stock ride height is horrendous. Thought your info was pretty useful and could prepare me to check some things and probably fix the click/popping noise I was getting if it returns the 2nd time. It only happened when driving slow in parking lots or taking slow turns, moving the car from a dead stop (I have a manual) and reversing from a standstill.
Keep after it. You'll get it. If you are going to do new lowering springs, some new dampers to match would be highly recommended.
Sponsored