Rear license plate mounting question

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Feel a little silly asking this but I received my plates today but my new-to-me Mustang came with no bracket and no hardware. What size/thread do I need? And does the plate bolt up directly to the two upper holes? Or am I supposed to have a bracket in between the bumper cover and the plate itself?
Thanks in advance.
IMG_1339.jpg
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Feel a little silly asking this but I received my plates today but my new-to-me Mustang came with no bracket and no hardware. What size/thread do I need? And does the plate bolt up directly to the two upper holes? Or am I supposed to have a bracket in between the bumper cover and the plate itself?
Thanks in advance.
IMG_1339.jpg
Get the screws from your dealer. There is no bracket. Just get a nice plate frame.

This should help.....

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rear-license-plate-install.43626/

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
The Ford screws suck. The mounting holes are part of the plastic bumper cover. They wallow out over time. Go to your local hardware store and buy two stainless steel pan head sheet metal screws and flat washers. One size up from the OE Ford screws. IIRC, I bought #10 screws and washers. The SS screws/washers will not rust.

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Also consider rivnuts/nutserts instead. When I got the plates for my car I found that the dealer had already stripped all the plate mounting holes for me, so added rivnuts for all 4 holes front and rear. They mount very solid this way and you don't have to worry about stripping them out.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I used different ones anyway (black allen-head screws with a big head), and put several strips of industrial-strength double-sided tape at the bottom, so the plate wasn't bouncing around all the time. I HATE plate brackets, so I chose to do that. If you use a bracket, also protect it behind, so the paint doesn't get damaged over time. I wouldn't put 'riv nuts' or anything else unless it was needed, but that's just me. Good luck.

OP
OP
wtb6mtv8rwd

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
End up grabbing some #14 x 1 button head torx screws in black. Applied felt tape to the back of the plate to prevent rubbing on the bumper cover. I like that silicon cover though, I imagine it would outlast the felt tape. Thanks.
IMG_1445.JPG

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I ended up with black screws, but with out 'tabs' needed on the front side, wanted to minimize the screw visibility, so I designed and 3D printed some screw covers that snap on. Now just waiting on my plate to arrive.
lCykYeE.png

bTeP6Jv.jpg
Qdnmr16.jpg

The model is here if anyone wants it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4571012

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
AutoZone, Advanced Auto and, ORileys carry kits with the screws and caps .................. So does Pep Boys.

Sponsored

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
AutoZone, Advanced Auto and, ORileys carry kits with the screws and caps .................. So does Pep Boys.
Yep, I've used bought ones for my daughters car. But when you own a 3d printer, you can just say F*ck that, I'll just print it. :sunglasses:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
True dat ........... Grandma Grumpy would break it :crying:
Sponsored