carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Hey everyone,

This is probably the dumb question of the week but this car is too nice not to ask. I pulled the dealership license plate bracket off my car, which was mounted with two top screws straight into the bumper. The 4 screws I bought, for Fords specifically, have an extra plastic piece (linked below). So here are my questions.

1. to mount the two additional bottom screws, do I just need to do the top ones and then line up and self-tap the bottom ones into the bumper? This is the big one, since I’m extremely hesitant to drill into my cars body unnecessarily (obviously). Do I need to do anything to make sure paint doesn’t start to peel?
upload_2020-4-20_22-27-4.jpeg

2. Is there basically no use for those plastic pieces? Are they only used on some vehicles or something?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Hex-Washer-0-75-in-License-Plate-Screws/3228046

Thanks everyone. I’ve obviously never mounted or removed a license plate on a car lol (only on an old pickup truck).
Sponsored

Last edited:

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Newer Fords don't use the plastic pieces, and the screws go directly into the bumper cover.

Juantrickpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
15GTPP
IMO the two top holes are good enough. Just be careful not to over tighten those and strip them out.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I was under the impression the two round things were simply there to keep the license plate from touching the bumper and scratching the paint.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just use the two screws at the top. No need for using four. I also but a chair leg floor protection pad in each lower corner to protect the paint.

Sponsored

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Thanks for the replies! The thing I’m afraid of using just the two is that I have a silicone license plate “frame” which doesn’t provide much structural support. I’ll probably end up adding the two to the bottom but I’m going to try with just the top ones. My main concern is things like car washes / pressure washing bending the plate.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks for the replies! The thing I’m afraid of using just the two is that I have a silicone license plate “frame” which doesn’t provide much structural support. I’ll probably end up adding the two to the bottom but I’m going to try with just the top ones. My main concern is things like car washes / pressure washing bending the plate.
Don’t worry. I’ve never bent a plate in a car wash (no never, ever with my Mustang). And if you’re using enough pressure to bend a plate with a pressure washer I’d be more concerned about taking the paint off your car. The plates are strong enough on their own. Please do not drill more holes in your bumper.

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Don’t worry. I’ve never bent a plate in a car wash (no never, ever with my Mustang). And if you’re using enough pressure to bend a plate with a pressure washer I’d be more concerned about taking the paint off your car. The plates are strong enough on their own. Please do not drill more holes in your bumper.
Thanks again. I’ve seen curled up plates in parking lots before but who knows what they did to theirs. I’ll just roll with the 2, glad I got input from you guys!

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Yea, I wouldnt add the extra holes, two is enough. I also, like above added the little rubber stick ons you would use on kitchen cabinet doors/drawers to keep it from touching the paint.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
More than on way to skin a cat. Dislike the lower holes of tags & frame Looks half-ass, and yes 2 screws will hold fine.

With 4 screws, matching bolts in my case, bolts look better. With the tag on the work bench, start with lower holes.

Bolts thru the frame and plate, nuts on the backside. After nuts installed, cut bolts flush with the nut.

Ran a tap 1/4 20 in the upper holes, hang tag, a cleaner or finished appearance .

need a picture ask
Sponsored

Last edited: