Sponsored

Rear Ended, seeking advice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hello all,

I was recently rear ended by a big delivery van and the majority of the impact was concentrated on the left rear end of the bumper.

I initially assumed and hoped for a total loss, and everyone was telling me it was gonna be a total loss initially as I know this car is going to lose value and may have issues that won’t appear later.

Now both the insurance and Body shop looked at it and have stated it is repairable but borderline total loss.

the thing is I am concerned that even if the body of this car is repaired and looks immaculate, the car itself is going to have issues with the transmission, suspension etc that is going to end up costing me money down the ljne to repair, due to the fact that this is a rear wheel drive. I expressed that I had concerns over this but neither the bodyshop I initially took it too helped ease my concerns. It doesn’t seem like they took a good look at the drivetrain. I want to take it to a different shop to get a second opinion but insurance and the shop are making it diffiCult. I am in san jose ca

based on these pictures, how likely is it that there could be some underlying damage to the suspension, axle transmission etc? I would hate to have this claim settled and then dealing with issues down the line. The body shop said the frame is still ok.

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2414.jpeg

IMG_7326.jpeg
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
the thing is I am concerned that even if the body of this car is repaired and looks immaculate, the car itself is going to have issues with the transmission, suspension etc that is going to end up costing me money down the ljne to repair, due to the fact that this is a rear wheel drive.
What does it being rear-wheel drive have to do with anything?

...how likely is it that there could be some underlying damage to the suspension, axle transmission etc? I would hate to have this claim settled and then dealing with issues down the line. The body shop said the frame is still ok.
0 chance if you take it to a good shop.

If there is other damage, it will be found and repaired. The body shop WANTS to find as much work as possible to do.

Have a reputable shop do the work, that's all there is to it.

Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I feel like most of the damage was pretty cosmetic based on these photos. Yeah new bumper, trunk parts, rear glass, probably a fender or two, but I am not seeing where there would have been suspension or transmission damage? Best I could recommend is to have a reputable mechanic you trust take a look at those parts and analyze the performance of them to see if they were damaged internally.

If you are attached to this specific car for some reason, get it fixed.
If you really like it but are worried - take the insurance money and put it towards a different car/mustang that you can fall in love with again.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My first mustang, was a red one. and it was hit the exact same way yours was.

it was a Ecoboost premium with 20k miles, they totaled it. (back in 2016 tho) RIP. but that was years back, it seems it takes a lot more to total a mustang now. (as prices as more)

but I think if it was fixed, zero issues. hell it drove just fine, it just had a dented in rear like yours and people quoted me astronomical $ to repair it. cosmetic. I should have bought it back and used as track car (they quoted me 4k buyback) I said nah. im dumb.

edit yours is way worst than mine. mine was 100% dead center in the rear, like the bumper and bumper thing was pushed in, but it did crinkle some sheet metal in the rear, they told me needed to cut and weld quarter panel or something back in. I cannot recall.

FFC8CE2F-F589-45E3-8099-64A9E89294BD_zpsyiayvkak.jpg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That said, I took the $ and bought a new mustang instead, and I had no regrets really. I didnt really want a repaired mustang of that nature. carfax etc. I should have kept it for a track car for fun, but if I was dailying it, I wasnt interested.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Amazingly despite the damages nearing 20k thanks to inflation that is still considered repairable albeit “borderline”

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Amazingly despite the damages nearing 20k thanks to inflation that is still considered repairable albeit “borderline”
cot damn. my repair was around 7k-10k if I did it. they still totaled it out. I was sad at first, but found a leftover mustang for about same payout price.

times are definitely changed.

atleast your car will be good as new!

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I’m usually the one to minimize actual damage by the looks, but for some reason, this looks pretty bad….. Worse than I expected to see.

I feel your concern 100%. I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
I'm honestly surprised that's being repaired, but I've done way worse on an Integra back in the day. Final bill approached 80% of value, but they were too far in to stop. Body shop did an amazing job. I drove it without a single issue for years afterwards

Good luck with whatever happens. The key here as others have mentioned is to make sure its a good shop. Check in on the progress and make friends with the repair team

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
cot damn. my repair was around 7k-10k if I did it. they still totaled it out. I was sad at first, but found a leftover mustang for about same payout price.

times are definitely changed.

atleast your car will be good as new!
Depending on when your claim was, this kind of makes sense. The used car "bubble" seems to have popped, so I am betting salvage values dropped. Insurance calculates total loss on payout for the total less salvage value vs straight up repair cost. For a while, salvage values were so high, that almost any damage resulted in a total.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
First, get a neck brace and some crutches. Then find a good attorney that deals with these types of incidents involving commercial vehicles. Finally, take your proceeds from the settlement and buy a new GT500, and throw that injured GT in the trash.

Last edited:

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
What does it being rear-wheel drive have to do with anything?
It could if the rear diff and driveshaft got jammed forward, damaging the cradle, transmission, diff, driveshaft, etc.

mcky2011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I am assuming the air bags didn't blow?

From the pictures it certainly looks totaled.

As already stated, take it to a high end shop to make sure they get all the frame damage in the estimate.

The real bill will be higher.

Good luck.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It could if the rear diff and driveshaft got jammed forward, damaging the cradle, transmission, diff, driveshaft, etc.
That would be obvious, and part of the repairs. And no, that doesn't normally happen.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I am assuming the air bags didn't blow?

From the pictures it certainly looks totaled.

As already stated, take it to a high end shop to make sure they get all the frame damage in the estimate.

The real bill will be higher.

Good luck.
what happens when insurance ok's the repairs, and they get like 20k into it, and it FAR exceeds their expectations, more damage etc,

will they keep fixing it? or cut a check for total loss, and lose the 20k in already attempted repairs. = double whammy for insurance.
Sponsored