Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP, 2014 Mercedes E550
Vehicle Showcase
To @RasJeremy: really nice work. Thanks for the tutorial!

Without opening the door again to the “purist” I’ve attached my solution for my 2020 GT, which was available from AOOA Racing. If you contact them directly you can order rear covers only for $150. The color is Volcanic Gray and IMHO it’s close enough to the Brembo gray on the front when they aren’t side by side. All metal and well made.

Not as good looking as @RasJeremy mod, but a lot easier. Three coats of VHT over the decal and I was done. I’ve attached photos of OEM front and covered rear

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_0742.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg
wow these look really nice as well. I wonder how they look once repainted if someone wanted a different color. All great options here in this thread
Sponsored

Last edited:

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 2014, ROUSH II 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone!
So just as a lot of you guys, I'm dreading the look of the rear calipers on my GT 2020 when the front BREMBO calibers looks great!

I looked into painting the calipers, but it both was a PITA job along with the result of just making an ugly caliper visible.
When I turned to covers, I realized that there was a lot of options and with different results and work needed.

My goal was that it should be easy to do myself, it should be fairly cheap and I wanted a solution where it was possible to take the brakes on/off for maintenance without having to cut off or ruin the covers.

This is what I used for the project:
- Caliper covers size large
- BREMBO Sticker
- Graphite grey spray paint (Find something that matches as good as possible - this was what I could get in Denmark)
- Automotive clearcoat (I found something from the same brand as the paint)
- Heat resistant silicone sealant (I found some heat resistant gasket silicone for 250degrees C (482 degrees F))
- Different tools and stuff explained through the guide.

Preparation of the original caliper:
Org. rear red.jpg

I brushed off any dirt with a steel brush in my dremel tool and afterwards I cleaned it with petrol based cleaning agent and then isopropanyl. I only cleaned the marked area since that was where it would bind.

Covers:
Covers painted.jpg

The covers needs to be cut a little to fit since they are universal. I have no pictures of this process but I did it with a fresh box cutter blade and I kept cutting a little, test fit, cut again, test fit, and so on untill it was as wanted.
I took off the screws and fake brake lines. sanded the covers with fine grid for prepping it for paint. Then I painted then with 4 coats of paint and made it cure for 24 hours.

Then wet sanded it with very fine grip the both make the small flaws in the paint go away along with making it better for binding with clearcoat.

On with the stickers - might be the most tricky part to get it straight and looking good.
After the stickers has been added it is time for clear coat.
IMPORTANT! First coat of clear has to be very thin since too much will dissolve the adhesive on the stickers and make them wobble and ugly... and YES!... I did that the first time and had to sand down both covers again and start over, so make sure you're careful here!
Afterwards I glued the screws back on along with the bleed valve. I used epoxy for this.

Comparison:
Compared.jpg

In the picture the color is more off that real. Have in mind that the front brakes aren't painted and in this picture the caliper is away from light under a fender while the cover hand held out where the light makes it look brighter.

Mounting:
Caliber with adhessive.jpg
Cover with adhessive.jpg
Cover mounted and pressurxed.jpg

The silicone was added in the caliber as well as on the cover. I used a finger to spread it to make it stick better (on the cover the black lines are markings of where it will sit on the caliber). After spreading it, I added a little more on both parts to make sure it would bond together nicely.

Afterwards when pressing it on the caliper I went to town the tape to make it sit still and correct for a couple of days to make completely sure that it had cured.

Polish and coating:
Cover mounted and done.jpg

After it had cured I polished them with 2500 polish compound and then coated them with CarPro CQuartz 3.0. ANd I can tell you that they are hardly picking up any dust and they are very easy to clean!

Before and after:
1688850435895.jpeg

_DSC0609.jpg

_DSC0622.jpg

Final thoughts...

This was an easy project and it requires no special tools or expensive parts. It is not perfect and when you know what to look for, you can easily still see the original bracket.
It could have been done a lot prettier but I had a priority of easy maintenance as stated in the beginning.

I am really happy with the result and I can only recommend to go for it.

If you have any questions regarding this guide just hit me. Due to logistics since I'm in Denmark I might not be helpful with where you're able to find the parts others than the covers and stickers. And even those you might be able to find cheaper/easier than I could here in We-hate-funny-cars-part-of-the-world, haha!

Happy modding!

@MrBD1348 @StangTime @Roy_Steeda @ing3nious @WhitemarePP @LarsenGrind
Cool mod! you teased me and bought one a little bit expensive yet the colour is not perfectlly matching!
Do you have a link to that spray ? or a colour code ? I think it should be matte if I'm not mistaken >?

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Hello everyone!
So just as a lot of you guys, I'm dreading the look of the rear calipers on my GT 2020 when the front BREMBO calibers looks great!

I looked into painting the calipers, but it both was a PITA job along with the result of just making an ugly caliper visible.
When I turned to covers, I realized that there was a lot of options and with different results and work needed.

My goal was that it should be easy to do myself, it should be fairly cheap and I wanted a solution where it was possible to take the brakes on/off for maintenance without having to cut off or ruin the covers.

This is what I used for the project:
- Caliper covers size large
- BREMBO Sticker
- Graphite grey spray paint (Find something that matches as good as possible - this was what I could get in Denmark)
- Automotive clearcoat (I found something from the same brand as the paint)
- Heat resistant silicone sealant (I found some heat resistant gasket silicone for 250degrees C (482 degrees F))
- Different tools and stuff explained through the guide.

Preparation of the original caliper:
Org. rear red.jpg

I brushed off any dirt with a steel brush in my dremel tool and afterwards I cleaned it with petrol based cleaning agent and then isopropanyl. I only cleaned the marked area since that was where it would bind.

Covers:
Covers painted.jpg

The covers needs to be cut a little to fit since they are universal. I have no pictures of this process but I did it with a fresh box cutter blade and I kept cutting a little, test fit, cut again, test fit, and so on untill it was as wanted.
I took off the screws and fake brake lines. sanded the covers with fine grid for prepping it for paint. Then I painted then with 4 coats of paint and made it cure for 24 hours.

Then wet sanded it with very fine grip the both make the small flaws in the paint go away along with making it better for binding with clearcoat.

On with the stickers - might be the most tricky part to get it straight and looking good.
After the stickers has been added it is time for clear coat.
IMPORTANT! First coat of clear has to be very thin since too much will dissolve the adhesive on the stickers and make them wobble and ugly... and YES!... I did that the first time and had to sand down both covers again and start over, so make sure you're careful here!
Afterwards I glued the screws back on along with the bleed valve. I used epoxy for this.

Comparison:
Compared.jpg

In the picture the color is more off that real. Have in mind that the front brakes aren't painted and in this picture the caliper is away from light under a fender while the cover hand held out where the light makes it look brighter.

Mounting:
Caliber with adhessive.jpg
Cover with adhessive.jpg
Cover mounted and pressurxed.jpg

The silicone was added in the caliber as well as on the cover. I used a finger to spread it to make it stick better (on the cover the black lines are markings of where it will sit on the caliber). After spreading it, I added a little more on both parts to make sure it would bond together nicely.

Afterwards when pressing it on the caliper I went to town the tape to make it sit still and correct for a couple of days to make completely sure that it had cured.

Polish and coating:
Cover mounted and done.jpg

After it had cured I polished them with 2500 polish compound and then coated them with CarPro CQuartz 3.0. ANd I can tell you that they are hardly picking up any dust and they are very easy to clean!

Before and after:
1688850435895.jpeg

_DSC0609.jpg

_DSC0622.jpg

Final thoughts...

This was an easy project and it requires no special tools or expensive parts. It is not perfect and when you know what to look for, you can easily still see the original bracket.
It could have been done a lot prettier but I had a priority of easy maintenance as stated in the beginning.

I am really happy with the result and I can only recommend to go for it.

If you have any questions regarding this guide just hit me. Due to logistics since I'm in Denmark I might not be helpful with where you're able to find the parts others than the covers and stickers. And even those you might be able to find cheaper/easier than I could here in We-hate-funny-cars-part-of-the-world, haha!

Happy modding!

@MrBD1348 @StangTime @Roy_Steeda @ing3nious @WhitemarePP @LarsenGrind
Awesome writeup!

I found some very high quality covers made to fit both the base rear and base front Mustang calipers. They're available without any lettering and come in 15 different colors. I bought a set for my GT/CS that has base brakes, attached high temp caliper stickers that read MUSTANG with the running pony) and they fit perfectly, even clearing the stock 19" wheels without any modifications or spacers. No prep at all other than the lettering.

https://www.amazon.com/AOOA-Caliper...Covers+for+Ford+Mustang&qid=1690858539&sr=8-7

20230731_201452.jpg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I bought a set of the cheap chinese covers. They look good I just won't put the brembo sticker on them.

Sponsored

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 2014, ROUSH II 2018
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to try the Aliexpress rear covers. Thanks for the link.
I thought I might contribute in this as well! I just purchased this from Aliexpress and it might give all a hint of what you would expect! This particular seller sent a real picture of the cover a bit glossy while my request to him prior was to get the matte Grey or matte Black at least but this is what they have sent to me ( check pics )
However, the package is still on the way and legible for free return in case I didn't like the actual colour in reality!
link : 2/4pcs for Special Vehicles Aluminum Alloy Caliper Cover Brake Sporty Style Decorate Customized Caliper Housing UNIV UNIT T77 - AliExpress

Actual colour based on the Seller's real listing!

S64c1b71f1876487d929c656457d43756i.jpg

S4d66be0ae24046b9ad9fdcdfeeed5f54F.jpg

Last edited:

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Did you even read the OPs response to this or our back and forth? You’re a jackass trying to puff your ego under the guise of being an altruist.
Why read when you can just skim something and immediately feign offense? It's more fun that way!

That seems to be a lot of that guy's posts. Seems very grumpy and purely intended on sharing it with others.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Just don't.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Why read when you can just skim something and immediately feign offense? It's more fun that way!

That seems to be a lot of that guy's posts. Seems very grumpy and purely intended on sharing it with others.
You’re totally right, I knew as soon as I saw it was him it was going to be something stupid or negative

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS

Not just that guy! We could make a list😎. He has plenty of company.

Sponsored

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Not just that guy! We could make a list😎. He has plenty of company.
You ain't wrong! I'll admit to being a crotchety old geezer on occasion, but not constantly.

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Looks cool … when I first bought the car it was delivered from Carvana and I saw the rears and posted on this forum about no Brembos on the back because I thought they ripped me off .. lol
I’m torn on this mod because we’ll honestly it’s a lie .. they aren’t brembos.
Decades of making fun of people with fake badges has me skipping this mod. Shit it’s like a bald man with a toupee .. looks ok but just not … cool. Lol
I will say you did a great job OP it looks great.

Last edited:

ing3nious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mom mobile
Look I get it, slapping BREMBO on the rears is fake. The main thing here is putting a cover on the unsightly rears that look rusted/corroded since the day I got it. That’s probably as far as I’ll go.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Okay, so the rear calipers aren't Brembos....whose are they then?
It's pretty generic caliper probably marked as FoMoCo made by one of their part suppliers. Like brake calipers on Escape or Fusion. People really get hung up on brand / flashy stickers rather than whether the part works or not.
Sponsored