Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah i had my axle seal replaced by my local mustang mechanic about 8 months ago, (passenger side), but its leaking again. I have a 3:15 gear differential to replace my 3:55’s. I’m gonna put it in next spring. Bought a fresh set of seals for that differential.

Last edited:

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
I really like DIY videos, but there are two major points (and some minor) to consider:

1)
Always use a new axle nut. They are one time use only! This is really critical as many guys reported loose axle nuts (which is dangerous).
2)
Many of the control arm bolts and nuts need to be torqued only, when the vehicle is on its wheels. Otherwise all the rubber bushings will fail pretty soon.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Do
Just in case anybody has a leak where the half shaft meets the differential. Here's my experience replacing it and I hope It helps somebody :)

you know the ford part # for the seals?

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Seal - Ford AL3Z-4B416-A

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
do you have to take the exhaust off for this?
Finishing up mine in the garage today. I vote no. Why? There’s plenty of room to get the axle and the seal out around the exaust, and the frame is too close to get a hammer in there anyways; thus removing the exhaust buys you nothing that I saw.

Another tip I ran into…everything says use a pry bar to pop the ring out to get the shaft out of the center section. This didn’t work for me. Pried and pried with a good bar with way too much effort and she went no where. I then tried to pull the shaft from outside the car. One descent little tug was all it took and it came right out.

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
i just did this.
i installed a lot of kit in addition to the axle seal
it went well
a couple of points
1)you can do this with the exhaust still on
2)the easy way to get the axle out, is to unbolt the knuckle at 4/5 of the attachment points and leave the knuckle to lower control arm bolt loosely in place. leave the axle bolted in to the knuckle/wheel bearing. the joint where the knuckle bolts to the lower control arm works as a hinge point for the lever which is the knuckle. grab the top of the knuckle and push the axle in as far as it goes. then count to three, and holding the top of the knuckle, give it a good yank and the axle will pop right out. this also works well for putting the axle back in, i might add. also, supposedly, the axle goes in better if you keep the gap in the c clip facing downward.
3)you need to make a tool to do this easily with the exhaust still on. here is a pic of the one i made. you hammer the seal in with this. it goes in where the axle used to be.
4)this job took me 11 hrs both sides

sealinstaller.jpg

suspension.jpg

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@thornclaw brotha...that tool is awesome. Where were you last week when I needed you, LOL?!?! Mine is buggered up just a tiny bit around the outer perimeter from tapping in, but it's purely cosmetic. Already drove it--works like a champ. But that woulda been an awesome idea.

I only did my one leaking side, but the other will most likely need it in the future. Althought it's not actively leaking/running, it's grimey around the other side. Just gonna keep an eye on it.
Sponsored