Sponsored

"Rear Axle Differential Temp Increased, Decrease Speed" warning

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Wow, didn't know the diff can get that hot.
However, it's lack of heatsinks kinda worries me. Most performance cars I have seen all have the diff housing covered in fins.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
These would probably come in around 1k or so.
While that's an awesome looking piece, and the extra half a quart of oil is nice to have, at that point it would probably be cheaper to just do an actual cooler and fan which will provide much more cooling. Yeah the 2 combined would be the ultimate, but I don't think any of us here will really need both...a simple cooler would be more than enough.

That's just my thinking, especially when considering the price.

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
While that's an awesome looking piece, and the extra half a quart of oil is nice to have, at that point it would probably be cheaper to just do an actual cooler and fan which will provide much more cooling. Yeah the 2 combined would be the ultimate, but I don't think any of us here will really need both...a simple cooler would be more than enough.

That's just my thinking, especially when considering the price.
I 100% agree with you. I've been kicking this idea around for while but if no one is interested then spending the time and money for R&d won't be worth it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm optimistic we'll see some fins on a diff from Ford at some point here. Maybe the 18s? I think they knew it was an issue before they shipped the '15s.

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I 100% agree with you. I've been kicking this idea around for while but if no one is interested then spending the time and money for R&d won't be worth it.
I think if you wanted to play around with a low cost R&D option, the OEM covers are very cheap for a cast aluminum part, may be cheaper to machine and weld up a design that could be done for a few hundred dollars. Milling a new unit or casting a new unit will be expensive considering the quantity likely to sell. If a guy could average an hour or two of labor to modify a cover considering the OEM covers are less then $100 then it may be inexpensive enough to sell a couple dozen units.

Dave

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
I think if you wanted to play around with a low cost R&D option, the OEM covers are very cheap for a cast aluminum part, may be cheaper to machine and weld up a design that could be done for a few hundred dollars. Milling a new unit or casting a new unit will be expensive considering the quantity likely to sell. If a guy could average an hour or two of labor to modify a cover considering the OEM covers are less then $100 then it may be inexpensive enough to sell a couple dozen units.

Dave
That's not a terrible idea at all. I'm looking into both options.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You know what will be even cooler (no pun intended)? A modified OEM cover with some extra fins and maybe even a built in cooler attached somehow. That way someone just pops that cover on, wires in a pump and done.

Run some lines in and out, weld on a bracket that holds the cooler and I would buy the crap out of that.

Dave

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Fwiw, I took my leaf blower to the SCCA Track Night and used it to cool down my diff between 20 min sessions. I did 30 minutes of medium speed leaf blower air from tbe back of the car up to the diff. Last time I did track night I got the warning in the last 5 minutes of the second session, and after 10 minutes in thw third. This time i dos not get any temp warnings.
Based on this I believe some sort of the scoop to

A) block thermal radiation from the exhaust and
B) direct more air into rear diff area as the car moves

would definitely help.

As far as I can remember bmw's underbody,
the exhaust was shielded all the way
from exiting engine bay to the rear end with
some lightweight shiny screen. Reminds
windshield sun block visually, but obviously
different materials.

P.S. Amazon had a bunch of thermal/heat barrier thermo guard/ whatever things. It should be more effective than thermal wraps. Hot exhaust just next to the diff definitely does not help heat escape.

Brooks_Church

Team Rowdy RTR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber GT PP RTR Spec 2 #010
I am really looking into this thread a bunch. Trying to get my GT PP car ready for its first track day at Mid-Ohio in early august for SCCA and then again at Road Atlanta for Gridlife.

Thinking of just good fluid, maybe make some ducting to it like the trans scoops and such and maybe some heat shielding.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I am really looking into this thread a bunch. Trying to get my GT PP car ready for its first track day at Mid-Ohio in early august for SCCA and then again at Road Atlanta for Gridlife.

Thinking of just good fluid, maybe make some ducting to it like the trans scoops and such and maybe some heat shielding.
I found this at ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131423331188

I would preffer something shiny for better reflection, but it should be better than a wrap as it has gap in between. And there should be similar/better products if you dig deeper.

Actually, it's fairly easy to build your own custom wrap based on the idea - clamps with the shield attached to them.

Last edited:

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
So is the stock differential cast iron or cast aluminum the reason why I ask is I see that Ford Racing has an all aluminum one that's on Steeda website that is advertised to be superior in strength not sure if it cools better than anything cast. Also it's only labeled towards automatic cars in reference, so do autos have different diffs?

Last edited:

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So is the stock differential cast iron or cast aluminum the reason why I ask is I see that Ford Racing has an all aluminum one that's on Steeda website that is advertised to be superior in strength not sure if it cools better than anything cast.
Manual cars get a cast iron front housing and an aluminum rear cover, the automatics get an all aluminum assembly. The theory is that the manuals would take more abuse being cast iron and the aluminum units would be lighter and may shed more heat. Ironically the auto guys that drag race are braking the aluminum ones when more power is added and launched hard.

If I ever have to open the rear end I will likely source an aluminum front housing and build a 3:73 Torson in all aluminum. There is a thread somewhere about the weight savings and I think it was around 23 lbs lighter but that is a number I am pulling from my memory and it is not so good these days. If you have to buy one there are better sources for that part.
http://stores.revolutionparts.com/p...cat/differential-scat/?part_name=axle-housing

Dave

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
The stock one is aluminum or iron, depending on transmission (automatic or manual). The link you posted states that. It looks like someone has tooled up a replacement / upgrade aluminum carrier that improves on the stock aluminum carrier. There is nothing on that page to indicate that its from Ford or Ford Racing, so I'm curious as to who is making it. The part number given is a variation of the OEM aluminum carrier service part number.

I'd have reservations until it's proven, though, as it appears to be an aftermarket part. At $240, it seems dirt cheap for something that needed expensive tooling. The claims are that it is stronger than the stock aluminum carrier, but makes no comparison to the stock iron carrier - probably with good reason...
Sponsored