Random startup issue. Need advice!

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt, 2011 Lexus is250
Hey all. I had something really strange(and worrying?) happen the other morning when I auto started my 2022 GT, instantly brang it to ford and the response I got from them was confusing to say the least and a little worrying so I was just wondering if someone could either confirm or deny what I was told.

I auto started the car in the morning like I usually do(cold start, about -5C/23F) so not very cold but cold enough. As soon as the car started it INSTANTLY started revving up to like 4K RPM and letting off, up to 4k and letting off, in very quick succession. I instantly ran out of the house (so did my neighbour) I pressed the start button to fully wake the car and sure enough the gauge was going from like 1kRPM up to like 4K then back down, and like I said, in very quick succession. So I instantly shut the car off when I realized it wasn’t going to stop (maybe all of 30-45 seconds) restarted it and it started normal. Brang it to ford and was obviously told “we can’t duplicate the issue” and then the tech told me “it can happen sometimes, maybe never, depending on the weather. It was probably colder that morning so it’s just the car trying to warm itself up” ummmmmmm WHAT??? Now don’t get me wrong I don’t know much about modern cars and the technology but something tells me revving up to damn near 5k RPMs when the engine/fluids are ice cold and the car has been on for literally like 0.5 seconds can’t be right? I know these cars have a “cold start procedure” they do where when cold started it will hold the RPMs at around 2-2.5k and then slowly come down as it warms, which I’m familiar with and used to, this was NOT that…. So basically I’m just wondering,is the tech right? Is this something these cars will do randomly when it’s “too cold”? I’ve started it in -15 and no issues then so why would -5 be an issue? Or should I get this thing into a different shop before it happens again? Any advice is greatly appreciated and I’m sorry for the wall of text/ramble!
Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
I'd try a different dealer if you can. Sounds like a glitch in the warmup routine. I have a 2017 and on Christmas Day it was mid 20's and my car was idling around 14-1500 till it started warming up.

OP
OP

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
Yea that’s normal, and it wasn’t even really “idling” it was literally like someone was in the car pressing the gas and letting off, over and over. Wish I got a video

OP
OP

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
I'd try a different dealer if you can. Sounds like a glitch in the warmup routine. I have a 2017 and on Christmas Day it was mid 20's and my car was idling around 14-1500 till it started warming up.
if you skip to a minute and 40 seconds in the video, that’s essentially what it was doing. Mine was a bit quicker up and down and was revving higher/lower than that

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There's (3) things I could think of that might cause that interference:

- MAF sensor is faulty
- IMRC actuator issue
- Throttle body faulty or getting stuck

I mean it could be a number of other things too, but those would be my top (3) to research.

Did you check for any stored codes? You can do this without any special equipment at home. To extract any stored codes, follow the directions in either link depending on which dash cluster you have in your S550.

If you have a 2015-2020 with the ANALOG gauge cluster, you should be able to enter the “Engineer Test Mode".

Follow this link:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engineering-test-mode.27581/

If you you have a 2018+ with the DIGITAL cluster, you should be able to access the same test mode found here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-18-digital-dash-old-way-doesnt-work.115231/

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
There's (3) things so fluid think of that might cause that interference:

- MAF sensor is faulty
- IMRC actuator issue

I mean it could be a number of other hinges too, but those would be my top (3) to research.

Did you check for any stored codes? You can do this without any special equipment at home. To extract any stored codes, follow the directions in either link depending on which dash cluster you have in your S550.

If you have a 2015-2020 with the ANALOG gauge cluster, you should be able to enter the “Engineer Test Mode".

Follow this link:

If you you have a 2018+ with the DIGITAL cluster, you should be able to access the same test mode found here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-18-digital-dash-old-way-doesnt-work.115231/
Thanks for the info, and yea I’ll check for codes when I’m in the car next, but I’d kinda hope ford would have at least done that, no? Lol, and I found a few threads on different cars that had a similar issue and a majority resolved the issue by giving the throttle body a cleaning so I guess I’ll start there and work my way down the list. Could be a lengthy process considering this is the first time it’s happened in the 8 months I’ve had it so who knows when it’ll happen again if at all, I mainly just wanted to know if the technician was just blowing smoke when he said they do it sometimes to “warm themselves up” because he didn’t know what the issue was, kind of figured he was but just wanted to make sure so thanks again! If I find any codes I’ll post them here!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If you have a throttle body that is dirty enough to cause this in a 2020 vehicle then you have other bigger things to worry about.
On the other hand, it's easy enough to check.
Still, a 2 year old car with a TB dirty enough to cause that would certainly be cause for concern.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Ice can form on the the throttle body due to condensation and pcv moisture. Also inspect the tb and air box i have seen plastic and broken air filters get sucked in (it is rare)

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
And how many times have it happened?

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Hey all. I had something really strange(and worrying?) happen the other morning when I auto started my 2022 GT, instantly brang it to ford and the response I got from them was confusing to say the least and a little worrying so I was just wondering if someone could either confirm or deny what I was told.

I auto started the car in the morning like I usually do(cold start, about -5C/23F) so not very cold but cold enough. As soon as the car started it INSTANTLY started revving up to like 4K RPM and letting off, up to 4k and letting off, in very quick succession. I instantly ran out of the house (so did my neighbour) I pressed the start button to fully wake the car and sure enough the gauge was going from like 1kRPM up to like 4K then back down, and like I said, in very quick succession. So I instantly shut the car off when I realized it wasn’t going to stop (maybe all of 30-45 seconds) restarted it and it started normal. Brang it to ford and was obviously told “we can’t duplicate the issue” and then the tech told me “it can happen sometimes, maybe never, depending on the weather. It was probably colder that morning so it’s just the car trying to warm itself up” ummmmmmm WHAT??? Now don’t get me wrong I don’t know much about modern cars and the technology but something tells me revving up to damn near 5k RPMs when the engine/fluids are ice cold and the car has been on for literally like 0.5 seconds can’t be right? I know these cars have a “cold start procedure” they do where when cold started it will hold the RPMs at around 2-2.5k and then slowly come down as it warms, which I’m familiar with and used to, this was NOT that…. So basically I’m just wondering,is the tech right? Is this something these cars will do randomly when it’s “too cold”? I’ve started it in -15 and no issues then so why would -5 be an issue? Or should I get this thing into a different shop before it happens again? Any advice is greatly appreciated and I’m sorry for the wall of text/ramble!
OK, rereading your original post, I'd say it's likely that the Ford tech had no more idea what happened than you do. His response was likely just telling you something different than "I don't know."
However
These cars, heck any modern car, is so technology heavy that any number of things could glitch for no particular reason. It's really just a rolling computer and how often does your computer/ phone/ tablet glitch or freeze up for no apparent reason?
If it were mine and it was a one-off I'd shrug it off until/unless it did it again and because repeatable.

OP
OP

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)

- MAF sensor is faulty
- IMRC actuator issue

I mean it could be a number of other things too, but those would be my top (3) to research.

Follow this link:

- MAF sensor is faulty
- IMRC actuator issue

Follow this link:

hey man just realized I replied to myself earlier. Had the same thing happen again this morning and managed to get a short clip before shutting it off, just curious what you think after being able to hear what I’m describing now. Both times it’s happened the weather was mild so I went for a car wash on Saturday, the car sat all day Sunday and wasn’t started again until Monday morning.. is the under spray from the car wash soaking something that ends up freezing from sitting in the cold after the wash? This time I shut the car off and restarted it with the remote start again and it started doing it a second time. Start it manually with the push button and it’s fine. Just curious if your opinion will change at all after hearing it. Really wanna know if this is just something these cars do like ford said or if I should continue on my hunt, any input is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored