Sponsored

Rain

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Try driving below 40F. No traction until 3rd gear.
Not trying to be a dickhead or anything, but when I drive it in cold weather, which I rarely do in the Mustang, I have no problem with lack of traction. I just don't lay on gobs of loud pedal.
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Why does everyone hate on the stock p zeros? I've never owned a car yet where the forum didn't bash the OE tires. My truck's OE tires were great and these pirelli's havent given me any trouble. I'm not out on a track but they've never broken loose on me during spirited driving. I swear it's like one person says they suck, then another, then suddenly everyone agrees and passes it along. Just like the clutch spring thing.
They really are pretty mediocre. Dry traction is maybe slightly above average for their class, but they have terrible tread life, and for the price, you can get better performance. Look no further than both consumer and professional reviews on tirerack if you'd like some more objective evidence.

It always helps justifying spending money if you say the thing you are replacing sucks.
I'm not sure that explanation makes much sense... You have to buy new tires eventually, anyways. Not many people hate the Pirelli's enough to not at least wear them out before getting a different tire.

But see above. The Pirelli hate is justified IMO. It's not the worst tire ever or anything, but you can do much better in the max performance summer category.

... Having said all that, I don't think the tire make is to blame for the problem the OP is describing.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... Having said all that, I don't think the tire make is to blame for the problem the OP is describing.
Perhaps not entirely. But they aren't entirely blameless, either, if my experiences with a variety of OE-supplied all-season tires is any indication.

Norm

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Perhaps not entirely. But they aren't entirely blameless, either, if my experiences with a variety of OE-supplied all-season tires is any indication.

Norm
Is there really such a thing as an All-Season tire ?

Sponsored

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Just don't use first gear in the rain, should be no issue then. Also has to be something with the tread on your tires. I recently had mine replaced, and towards the end of their life they were much less grippy, almost forgot how well the car handled, but was reminded with some fresh sticky tires.
this is exactly why people get a new brand of tire then comment on how much better of a tire it is. For example, you have a completely worn out OE tire that is starting to make some groaning noises from uneven wear b/c you have the rear cambered, and it's losing grip b/c there is 1/32" of tread left then you go get some new goodyears or whatever and people rant and rave how bad Pirerrli sucks and how great goodyear is. Happens all the time. that's why i take almost any tire review with a grain of salt unless it's pretty clear and a long term review from start to finish. Also the reviews of people on summer tires in December and January is comical. No grip at all! really? no kidding. it says do not use in temps below 50 deg

venomisback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
If I made a thread every time I've been sideways in my car (accidental or purposefully), I'd be the post leader of this forum. Don't make a thread about pretty standard driving situations and then get angry about the comments.

Also, how are people only getting 7k miles on the stock PZeros? I've been autocrossing and have 13k on mine, probably still have another 5k left on them. Maybe lay off the line lock?
4600 miles on mine with 4 track days. The LR is toasted and the RR isn't too far behind. No line lock fun or displays of HP other than the track days. :shrug:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Not trying to be a dickhead or anything, but when I drive it in cold weather, which I rarely do in the Mustang, I have no problem with lack of traction. I just don't lay on gobs of loud pedal.
Well of course. You can idle all the way without issues.
The point is you need to prepare what's gonna happen when you do give it the beans.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I've driven in the snow with the stock tires on my PP. Driving in all conditions safely is part of driving. I've never had a wreck in my life, and I am 39 years old. My tires spin when I want them to spin. They don't when I don't. It's cut and dry.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I think these issues only involve people who have never owned torquey cars. You have to completely relearn your driving habits coming from cars that don't produce much torque.

Hell, sometimes I can't even not chirp the tires (NT555 g2) on my GT when pulling away from a gas pump, the slightest amount of gas and it looses a little traction. So clearly if you are making a turn onto a road and even give it 1/2 gas you are breaking the rear end loose... wet pavement, a lot less effort than that.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Is there really such a thing as an All-Season tire ?
Perhaps not.

But since rain can happen at least 3 seasons out of 4 you'd think that any tire making any claim to "all-season" status would be better in the wet than most of them (and I suspect virtually all OE A/S offerings) are.

Norm

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I drove to work in ice/snow/sleet/icy rain/slush conditions this morning, in a PP car with the OEM Pirelli Summer Only tires, and the AdvanceTrac 100% off. Such electronic crapola like AdvanceTrac are terrible, and stop people from ever learning how to drive properly.

It's the injun, not the arrow. The car is fine, it's usually the squishy bit behind the wheel that needs an up-grade/mod.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The point is you need to prepare what's gonna happen when you do give it the beans.
The real point is knowing how much grip your tires have to work with and disciplining yourself to stay within those limits. And erring on the side of caution when you don't know.

Car throttles have an infinite number of positions. There's no shame in using all of them as constant settings instead of positions to blow clear through on the way to too much throttle.

Norm

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The real point is knowing how much grip your tires have to work with and disciplining yourself to stay within those limits. And erring on the side of caution when you don't know.

Car throttles have an infinite number of positions. There's no shame in using all of them as constant settings instead of positions to blow clear through on the way to too much throttle.

Norm
Never said I drive with on and off throttle. Even with feeling the grip you gonna have to pass it to know where the limit is. You will not know where the limit is without exceeding it. Plus grip change all over the place on the road so how would you know how much grip is on asphalt vs concrete.
There is nothing bad about spinning tires as long as you know how to control the slide countersteer it. I remember you are the one claiming electrons are bad and I still disagree with you. Electronics are good aiding exploring the limits without getting too out of control.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...I still disagree with you. Electronics are good aiding exploring the limits without getting too out of control.
You can't "explore the limits" with AdvanceTrac on, it would be continuously interfering and altering what you feel and experience, by chopping power and applying brakes at different wheels.

You would be learning how AdvanceTrac behaves at the limits of adhesion, not how you and your (nanny-free) Mustang behave at the limit. Those are two very different things.
Sponsored