Rain spot etching on over the top stripe

dnstommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I have a GT350 and the vinyl stripe has some etching from acid rain in it. For the paint I can remove with some buffing, but I don't think I can buff the stripe. I am unsure how delicate the stripe is.

Can U buff the stripe?
Sponsored

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
I talked to a local detailer a while back about paint correction. He told me that I didn't have to remove the vinyl stripes, and he could polish them up. So I guess it's possible?

OP
OP
dnstommy

dnstommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I talked to a local detailer a while back about paint correction. He told me that I didn't have to remove the vinyl stripes, and he could polish them up. So I guess it's possible?
I have always seen the stripes taped over when the car was being paint corrected. So it "seems" like they are avoiding the stripes. But people ceramic coat the stripes which must mean they polish them first or at least wax them.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
But people ceramic coat the stripes which must mean they polish them first or at least wax them.
You don't ceramic coat over wax, you strip the wax off before coating.

To the OP, I'd find a reputable detailer in my area and ask for their recommendations on removing the spots and protecting the stripes going forward.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you know the manufacturer of the stripes, you could contact them. If not, ask a professional detailer. When I had stripes, I didn’t polish them for fear of ruining the finish. A water spot remover might work but if it’s too harsh it may tarnish the finish, especially if they’re a glossy stripe.

OP
OP
dnstommy

dnstommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
If you know the manufacturer of the stripes, you could contact them. If not, ask a professional detailer. When I had stripes, I didn’t polish them for fear of ruining the finish. A water spot remover might work but if it’s too harsh it may tarnish the finish, especially if they’re a glossy stripe.
Yeah, my water spot remover works pretty well on paint, but I am worried how aggressive it is on vinyl. I'll have to ask around. Thanks.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
So I guess it's possible?
Vinyl is substantially more susceptible to heat than the clear coat BUT, if you're polishing with the correct tools and using proper procedures, you should never ever get close to the temperature that will melt the vinyl IF you're not boresighted on one section. That's where trouble begins. Keep the polisher moving at all times and you won't have any problems.

I've been polishing vinyl decals and stripes for twenty years and never had a problem. That said, vinyl doesn't polish like paint so don't expect a mirror shine but it does clean up.