Sponsored

Quoted $920 for Lowering Spring Install and Alignment!!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Many shops, & most likely all pro shops will not install customer supplied parts. I also understand the why.

If someone finds a shop that will install that bag of Ebay glory, they should consider that a blessing.
Sponsored

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
So I called a local suspension shop to get a quote on installing BMR Handling Springs for Magneride and an alignment. This man calmly and collectively responded with $920 out the door. Now the question is, am I just that behind on the times or am I correct to feel that this sh*t is outrageous? :giggle::crackup:
Rape with a reacharound come with that?

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
The only local shop I trust is a racecar shop, and they quoted me $1100.00 for installing Steeda dual rate Magneride springs I supply. Another $300.00 for corner-balancing alignment.

So I took it to the most trust worthy, cost effective person I know.
Myself. šŸ˜

Spent like 2 days on my knees, which screwed up my left knee and caused Bursitis. Took me out of CrossFit/Gym for 30 days. First real ever medical issue thatā€™s put me out for a while (pretty healthy).

Iā€™d do it again though, because Iā€™ve now taken apart the brakes/wheels/tires/suspension multiple times now. Really getting to know the platform (new to Mustangs).
Steeda F/R sway bars and Upper strut brace are on the floor waiting to install next.
This free rental from Autozone was a lifesaver. Took me multiple hours to come to the conclusion my old school spring compressors just werenā€™t going to work.
43CDFADF-689F-42BD-B879-B20F3962DB3E.jpeg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think 7 hours for a spring swap is very generous. I put Steeda min drop springs on my car in about 4 hours on jack stands. I swapped struts and rear shocks also. This was with the steeda IRS braces already on the car so was a couple of extra steps involved.

Sponsored

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
I think 7 hours for a spring swap is very generous. I put Steeda min drop springs on my car in about 4 hours on jack stands. I swapped struts and rear shocks also. This was with the steeda IRS braces already on the car so was a couple of extra steps involved.
Definitely a good time to put other steeda goodies on at the same time .

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I just upgraded shocks/struts, and springs at a cost of over 600 including the alignment.

I installed the rear shocks myself and preassembled the front struts prior to delivery to the shop.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Gotta admit thoughā€¦ the 400-500 dollars dealers charge for an oil change is absurd.
The extra $$$ is to actually put in the full 10 qts instead of their usual 8 qts. ;)

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
The extra $$$ is to actually put in the full 10 qts instead of their usual 8 qts. ;)
That was in response to a Harley oil change. Iā€™ve never understood how they justify the price. The drain plug is out in the open and couldnā€™t be easier to get to.
they generally say ā€œsafety inspection and torque bolts to specā€

Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
So I called a local suspension shop to get a quote on installing BMR Handling Springs for Magneride and an alignment. This man calmly and collectively responded with $920 out the door. Now the question is, am I just that behind on the times or am I correct to feel that this sh*t is outrageous? :giggle::crackup:
You live in California. Everything costs more there.

OP
OP
Whitemare21

Whitemare21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Igor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Depending on ware you live in California .If your not to terribly far away ,I can help you with your springs ,Done a few set now.
i appreciate the offer. Unfortunately Iā€™m 25 minutes outside of Sacramento

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The only local shop I trust is a racecar shop, and they quoted me $1100.00 for installing Steeda dual rate Magneride springs I supply. Another $300.00 for corner-balancing alignment.

So I took it to the most trust worthy, cost effective person I know.
Myself. šŸ˜

Spent like 2 days on my knees, which screwed up my left knee and caused Bursitis. Took me out of CrossFit/Gym for 30 days. First real ever medical issue thatā€™s put me out for a while (pretty healthy).

Iā€™d do it again though, because Iā€™ve now taken apart the brakes/wheels/tires/suspension multiple times now. Really getting to know the platform (new to Mustangs).
Steeda F/R sway bars and Upper strut brace are on the floor waiting to install next.
This free rental from Autozone was a lifesaver. Took me multiple hours to come to the conclusion my old school spring compressors just werenā€™t going to work.
43CDFADF-689F-42BD-B879-B20F3962DB3E.jpeg
I have a set of spring compressors that look like the picture below. Never had a problem with them. Used on normal, lowering, and lifted springs. Definitely have to take your time and make sure the spring compressor is on both sides and equally compressing weight. If this thing were to come loose or you don't equally compress the spring with how much tension it takes to compress some springs, best case scenario is pain and blood. Worse case is death. Respect the tool, but it isn't hard to use with the proper precautions either.

1632916951958.jpeg

Regarding what the OP posted, usually shops around here will quote a higher labor price if you bring your own parts. Shops don't just make money off of labor, they make money off of parts as well. You are taking the money off of parts away. Get a second opinion, but don't be surprised if the quote is similar from the second shop.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Is that a spring compressor that Autozone rents ? I've done three different sets of struts with cheap compressors and one thing that would make this job easier, quicker and less sketchy would be a nice, shop level spring compressor.

To add to this thread - Magride Handling Pack - springs, both sway bars and tune - I was being quoted similar numbers two years ago. Did it myself (rear bar takes about 15 mins, front little more but not that much, especially with struts out).

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
I have a set of spring compressors that look like the picture below. Never had a problem with them. Used on normal, lowering, and lifted springs. Definitely have to take your time and make sure the spring compressor is on both sides and equally compressing weight. If this thing were to come loose or you don't equally compress the spring with how much tension it takes to compress some springs, best case scenario is pain and blood. Worse case is death. Respect the tool, but it isn't hard to use with the proper precautions either.

1632916951958.jpeg

Regarding what the OP posted, usually shops around here will quote a higher labor price if you bring your own parts. Shops don't just make money off of labor, they make money off of parts as well. You are taking the money off of parts away. Get a second opinion, but don't be surprised if the quote is similar from the second shop.
I have 2 sets of those - 1 modified to adjust Kings while on my 4x without removal. Iā€™m very familiar with them - been lowering cars are raising trucks for over 20 years. Sucks trying to find the exact spot on the spring to place each clamp, then come to find out once you spent all the time going back and forth tightening evenly, you have to undo it and do it all over again because the spring didnā€™t compress enough. And the center bolt sure bends like hell on King springs.
Iā€™m telling ya, the AutoZone clamshell, worth every minute to drive there and back just for peace of mind. Iā€™m contemplating purchasing one, theyā€™re $200.00.
Sponsored

Last edited: