Question on Lug nuts

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I'm also pretty sure the nuts are supposed to be metric. Probably part of the reason why @460Fred has had some issues is using the 7/8" instead. The socket is loose because the 7/8 is more than a mm too large.

However I do agree with Fred that the factory lugs are junky. I just bought new lugs for my GT because I noticed that several of the existing lugs are deformed and it's getting difficult to get the metric socket onto them. Also, I think a silver lug on a black wheel looks goofy.
The problem isnā€™t the size socket I use, I use the correct size. The problem is what shape they are in ā€œbeforeā€ I do my work. If I had a nickel for every caped lugnut that was trashed or the cap just missing Iā€™d be able to buy a combo meal at In-In-Out.
Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Aren't the black FP lug nuts the same design as the silver pressed on covers?
Yup, they are the same besides the exterior coating.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Iā€™m doing a Ford Focus as we speak. Using 19mm socket on this one and all is well.
Watching paint dry now ;-)

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
ok guys... now I'm confused... LOL... There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus here. I guess initially i won't be swapping wheels very often, in fact I've done it once since i've owned the car when i swapped out the Michelin Cup 2's
I Just purchased the 2018 model OEM rims and will be switching over to those. After that, I don't anticipate any changes until I need new tires or I somehow get sucked into the Track/Road Course world and purchase another set of wheels specifically for the track.
So my question now is, do I leave the stock lug nuts on and just go with that or do I still swap them out for the Gorilla brand? I mean, it's only $100, but is there any reason to stick with the OEM factory units? Any downside to after market?

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Just my $0.02...there's nothing wrong with the stock lug nuts, especially in your described scenario, as long as they are cared for; no power tools, correct socket size, etc.
I agree as long as you can control how they are removed and installed.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I had them on my Raptor and on my 350R. No matter how easy I was with the lugs some caps came off when the crimp was breached.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I had the black Gorilla lug nuts on my 15' GTPP, and after seeing this thread I just ordered them again for the GT350...

Sponsored

b058038

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
none
IMO there is nothing wrong with the OEM lug nuts as long as they match the the seating style on the wheel as mentioned above.
Couldn't agree more. Nothing wrong with factory lug nuts on factory wheels, just stay away from the impact wrench, and use the correct size socket - 13/16 inch. Not 21mm (4mm too big), not 7/8 inch (1.6mm too big). The factory nuts are not metric, there is no metric size that fits properly. Once they are damaged from improper size socket and impact wrench, they should be replaced as the edges will get deformed and force you to use a bigger socket. That just compounds the problem. If you don't believe me, get a caliper and measure the lug nut for yourself. Hope this helps.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Couldn't agree more. Nothing wrong with factory lug nuts on factory wheels, just stay away from the impact wrench, and use the correct size socket - 13/16 inch. Not 21mm (4mm too big), not 7/8 inch (1.6mm too big). The factory nuts are not metric, there is no metric size that fits properly. Once they are damaged from improper size socket and impact wrench, they should be replaced as the edges will get deformed and force you to use a bigger socket. That just compounds the problem. If you don't believe me, get a caliper and measure the lug nut for yourself. Hope this helps.
Whatā€™s weird is that I preferred the stock lugs without the cap to the ones with caps. On my Raptor I just painted them black and they looked better than the capped lugs.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I us a 21mm and it fits like a glove.
Same here, its metric not standard. Not defending the two peice lug nut, but ya gotta use the right size.
Just checked again and bot 21mm and 13/16 fit. Wonder if the 12 or 6 pt makes the difference.
I wont use an impact on these either.

Last edited:

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
Not sure where the $100+ comment came from. CJPP has them for $60 and free shipping.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-factory-style-bulge-chrome-2015-2020/p/WHLLN29/

For the OP's original question - my opinion is to go ahead and change them before you have an issue. Granted, I tend to take my wheels on/off a lot, but I started seeing deformation fairly early. This does not echo the experience I had with the OEM lugs on my Focus ST which have been fine. I suspect the much higher torque doesn't help. I do not use power tools - hand tools only.

21mm and 13/16 are very close. At least for my particular socket set, the 13/16 fits a little better than the 21mm but both are looser fit than I would like. Either would do in a pinch. YMMV, sockets tend to have a lot of variance among manufacturers for some strange reason.

I know we're expecting to find all metric fasteners on a late-model car but I'm pretty sure this one is SAE on the lug nuts. Not sure where the guy above got 4mm difference between 13/16 and 21mm. It's 0.36mm. If you have nicer sockets with the reliefs cut in the corners it's close enough.

EDIT to add: I wouldn't use a 12pt socket on a lugnut, regardless of how many pieces it's made out of.
Sponsored