Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
HI Guys,
I am in the process of switching wheels from my Stock Rims on the 2019 GT350. I have read a lot of issues with the stock lug nuts being capped and getting beat up.
I am looking at purchasing the Gorilla lug nuts either the standard set or the locking. Is this a good idea or not necessary? It's not a lot of money, but wondering if the advantages of going with an after market lug nut are worth it.
thanks Guys..
Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
There isn't an advantage per se, but some lugs weigh less than others. Titanium lug nuts cut a small amount of rotating mass due to the how light they are, but that comes at a high cost with $.
When I switched out for aftermarket wheels, I went with the Ford Performance Black Lug Nuts, which are what we already have but in chrome. I also used McGard Black Tuner Wheel Locks 25116 for a sprinkle of safety and they handled the high torque settings just fine.

As long as you're not letting the kids at Discount Tire go at your lugs with the impact wrench, they should last quite a while. Also make sure the lug seating on the wheel matches the lug style you plan to use, ie., conical or ball.
Lugs.jpg

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
IMO there is nothing wrong with the OEM lug nuts as long as they match the the seating style on the wheel as mentioned above.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
I switched to Gorilla. They work great. I got the same style as the factory lug nuts.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
thanks... I remember reading on the forum that someone said not to use an impact gun on the lug nuts.. I made sure the shop did not do that when swapping my tires. Just wasn't sure if different lugs nuts would eliminate the problem of the capped nuts and how they can become damaged. In fact my son had a 2015 Ford Focus with capped nuts and the wrench the FORD INCLUDED did not fit the lug nuts.. he found this out the hard way when he got a flat... ended up hammering the wrench on and damaging the nut.. got his tire fixed but the lug nut looked like hell.....

Sponsored

Deleted member 37397

Get new ones immediately. I had a hell of a time getting one of the stock ones off because someone chewed it up with an impact gun. Lucky to get it off. Straight in the trash.

Deleted member 37397

Get new ones immediately. I had a hell of a time getting one of the stock ones off because someone chewed it up with an impact gun. Lucky to get it off. Straight in the trash.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I work with wheels everyday. When I work on Fords, I’m always anticipating problems. This video sums up my rage ;-)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I us a 21mm and it fits like a glove.

Sponsored

Damondeng

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT350
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392661997563

I tried a lot .

Include McGuard nuts .

they were always a little damaged after lots of using . But McGuard much better .

Few weeks ago I bought this one on eBay . Seems much better . Light weight and hard enough. Install and remove several times , no damaged , even can not see used .

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I us a 21mm and it fits like a glove.
I'm also pretty sure the nuts are supposed to be metric. Probably part of the reason why @460Fred has had some issues is using the 7/8" instead. The socket is loose because the 7/8 is more than a mm too large.

However I do agree with Fred that the factory lugs are junky. I just bought new lugs for my GT because I noticed that several of the existing lugs are deformed and it's getting difficult to get the metric socket onto them. Also, I think a silver lug on a black wheel looks goofy.

Byronj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
IMHO, if you're going to be removing the lug nuts fairly routinely then trash them and get something such as Gorilla Nuts or equivalent. They will last longer. If youre only taking the wheels off to rotate or change tires then you'll be fine with the OEM. But See video above...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The chrome covers are crap. I’m gonna invest in Signature Ti lugs or FP black lugs.