Question about this ceramic coat "deal"

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I just had some guy approach me on my lunch break (I was in my car) and ask if I could sponsor his shop because I have the only velocity blue he's seen. I looked up the shop and it seems reputable (reviews, fb, pics), but my question is about the deal offered. He's basically giving me 50% off any package I choose (less a sponsorship and more a deal to promote business) so I opted for his middle end. It's usually $2150 for 4 layers of SB3 Alpha Warrantied 9H Ceramic Coating / IGL Kenzo 10h on everything but the windows and headlights I believe. Full prep work, paint correction, etc. He wants the car for 3 days and will charge me $1000.

So my question is, am I getting a deal or paying 1k for what really is a 1k job? I've already been pricing a ceramic coat, or wrap for the bumpers, but I'm just leery of people who approach me to pay them for work.
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
thats a damn good deal some paint correction alone is 1k let alone the the coating .. i have 9h on my car and its unreal .. was on there when i bought the car ... i did do another coat of c quartz and a reload.. what your paying for that to be done is a great price

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Based on what is involved - I'm not sure how anyone here can say one thing or another. They guy may be good - he may be bad - this isn't a process that everyone can do and have come out the same.

Claybar - can completely scratch up your car
Paint correction/polish - could completely scratch up your car

All you can do is review his references - pictures and feedback.

Can you provide his information? So that others can have a look at his work - would be good for him to get the publicity he is after.

Horseplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Magne-Ride Recaro show stopper red
From my personal experience, price varies depending on how good of a detail is being done. The ceramic coat is easy, but how much attention to detail is being paid for the prep work? The prepping is the back-breaking part, and if anyone is half-assing it, then it doesn't matter how many coats of ceramic are being applied.

If I were you, I'd try to get a feel for how obsessive-compulsive he is when it comes to detailing. Ask questions about the prep work. What detailing products are used, step-by-step process involved, etc? Why is he in business? What did he do before detailing? If a guy owns a detailing shop, and has zero car-show trophies to show for it, then he doesn't know how to clean a car. Thats like 99.9% of what it takes to win at car shows -- detailing.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
From my personal experience, price varies depending on how good of a detail is being done. The ceramic coat is easy, but how much attention to detail is being paid for the prep work? The prepping is the back-breaking part, and if anyone is half-assing it, then it doesn't matter how many coats of ceramic are being applied.

If I were you, I'd try to get a feel for how obsessive-compulsive he is when it comes to detailing. Ask questions about the prep work. What detailing products are used, step-by-step process involved, etc? Why is he in business? What did he do before detailing? If a guy owns a detailing shop, and has zero car-show trophies to show for it, then he doesn't know how to clean a car. Thats like 99.9% of what it takes to win at car shows -- detailing.
Hmm. Fair point. I'll do that. I have no idea if he has any trophies. I didn't notice being paraded online, nor did I think to ask. Honestly I've never delved into the detailing world before now

Based on what is involved - I'm not sure how anyone here can say one thing or another. They guy may be good - he may be bad - this isn't a process that everyone can do and have come out the same.

Claybar - can completely scratch up your car
Paint correction/polish - could completely scratch up your car

All you can do is review his references - pictures and feedback.

Can you provide his information? So that others can have a look at his work - would be good for him to get the publicity he is after.
Can do https://www.xdcustoms.com
https://m.facebook.com/XclusiveDetailingCustoms/

Sponsored

Horseplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I mean, it doesn't necessarily mean he's bad at it, it's just my personal experience that the best detailers are those that participated in car shows as a hobby.
I'm honestly more nervous about just letting someone have my car for 3 days. My dealer had it for a month when it got its new engine, but in that scenario it wasn't driveable. Even just a couple horror stories has me paranoid.

The pictures on the facebook page look good, at least, and not a single negative review so far. So either the reviews are padded or he does good work. Anyone else take a look at the links?

Horseplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be concerned if someone claimed to do a half-decent detail job in one day.

I’m sure the pics are wonderful, but if you’re able to touch one that they’ve just detailed, the paint should feel as smooth glass, without any grit in the paint.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I would be concerned if someone claimed to do a half-decent detail job in one day.

I’m sure the pics are wonderful, but if you’re able to touch one that they’ve just detailed, the paint should feel as smooth glass, without any grit in the paint.
I meant I'd be paranoid to leave my car with anyone, for any reason, for three days.

I'll have to take that advice and see if I can check out his work first hand. He's been in business for what seems to be 6 years and I can only find a handful of reviews. All of those being 5 stars also sets off a red flag, imo.

Thanks for the tips, though! It'll help to keep in mind for the future as well.

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ask if he has past customers you could ask as reference? Or have any cars he’s just finishing you can see?

Based on what he’s asking you, he wants you yo be one of his ‘past customers’ for reference.

As others have said, all the work is in the prep. As long as he does good work, it’s a great price.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Id want to see his work in person, pics can show anything he want's you to see. If youre standing there in different lighting and can see it all, youll know if it's trustable or not.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ask if he has past customers you could ask as reference? Or have any cars he’s just finishing you can see?

Based on what he’s asking you, he wants you yo be one of his ‘past customers’ for reference.

As others have said, all the work is in the prep. As long as he does good work, it’s a great price.
Not that I've been given. I'm thinking of posting in the gt350 section to see if the recent one he has pics of is possibly a member here.

Id want to see his work in person, pics can show anything he want's you to see. If youre standing there in different lighting and can see it all, youll know if it's trustable or not.
I'm going to in the upcoming days. The weird gap of 5 star reviews is incredibly suspect. He wanted me to drop my car off, at his house, today so he can take it to his shop. Possibly for my convenience, but I'm too much of a pessimist to buy it lol
Sponsored