Ceramic Coat..None Better!!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I did not do the wheels. I have about 1/4 bottle left of a 30mL kit. I plan on doing the wheels maybe over winter. Anyone have an issue with PPF not adhering after coating? I think I screwed up as my guy told me it’s tough for it to stick after a ceramic coating has been applied. I only planned on getting the front clip and the black trunk piece done
Ouch! Yeah, PPF first, ceramic after. Unfortunately there is no way around that. I was thinking about wrapping my mirrors and spoiler and my detailer said he would have to remove the coating first.

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Ok so I don’t know if I messed up,...I brought it out in the sun and I’m seeing slight streaks. Not sure if it’s from the ceramic or reload. I’ve read somewhere that reload could do this. The streaks are pretty difficult to get off. Would a surface prep wipe down be ok or could I damage the ceramic? The last coat was applied about 16 hours ago

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
if i ceramic the front of the cars what kind of results will i get with rock chips, dings, etc from the front over time? if i keep 1-2 coats on every couple years will the front be as messed up as if i just do the polish/wax method couple times a year?
(mostly looking for this with the daily SUV's and not the mustangs)
and how exactly does the ceramic work on the wheels, esp black wheels?? (that would be for all 4 of my cars)

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
if i ceramic the front of the cars what kind of results will i get with rock chips, dings, etc from the front over time? if i keep 1-2 coats on every couple years will the front be as messed up as if i just do the polish/wax method couple times a year?
(mostly looking for this with the daily SUV's and not the mustangs)
and how exactly does the ceramic work on the wheels, esp black wheels?? (that would be for all 4 of my cars)
ceramic coat will do nothing for rock chips.. you'll want PPF/paint protection film (clear film) for that

ceramic coat on painted wheels works just like any other painted surface really.. makes the paint slick, and hydrophobic. dirt just doesnt stick as well, makes it easier to clean, and provides that 'just waxed' look for much longer than a traditional wax job would.

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
So quick update- car looks phenomenal but I have a question on the “self cleaning properties”. I was wondering if everyone’s car gets pretty dirty. I have two coats of 3.0 UK but I have enough for one last one. If I want to apply it, would you just suggest a clay and iron remover and then apply? Or a polish In between?

OP
OP
Voo Doo

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
There is no need for a 3rd coat!! Do your wheels! Self cleaning.... when it rains while you are driving...it will agitate any dirt on your car.....like a wash while you drive!! If I’m caught..I rinse the car when home...in the garage and dry it off!! Done!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
So quick update- car looks phenomenal but I have a question on the “self cleaning properties”. I was wondering if everyone’s car gets pretty dirty. I have two coats of 3.0 UK but I have enough for one last one. If I want to apply it, would you just suggest a clay and iron remover and then apply? Or a polish In between?
Once the car is coated, do nothing other than a refresher and/or detailer. And I agree with the others, do your wheels and forget the third coat.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I’m just doing too much I guess...I wash with reset once a week. Probably drive it only 50-100 miles a week. I have car pros ech20 so maybe I just need to be confident that that stuff won’t scratch my car if I do like a rinseless wash. Just super paranoid haha

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
I’m just doing too much I guess...I wash with reset once a week. Probably drive it only 50-100 miles a week. I have car pros ech20 so maybe I just need to be confident that that stuff won’t scratch my car if I do like a rinseless wash. Just super paranoid haha
Try super hard not to wash it. I would wait like 1500 miles.

Watch the first 5 min of this video. You will see what I am on about.

Boostamoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT
I have a magnetic grey mustang, and I also live in a rural part of my state surrounded by a lot of farm land. I get about a good 12 hours before my car has a nice layer of dust on it even in my garage.

Like others have said the self cleaning properties come in during a rain storm or even a quick hose off. If you have stubborn dirt and grime, it will need to be agitated off with a wash mitt or microfiber towel in a regular wash.

Do not clay your car or polish your car. Claying has the chance to add micro marring. You'll get rid of this by polishing, but by then you'll also have polished away some of your coating. As long as you did your prep work it's redundant. Iron remover is fine.

My advice : Coat your wheels with the left over coating, maintain your coating with some SiO2 booster like reload or cure.
If you do a rinse less wash just use quality microfiber towels (I like rag company stuff) and spray diluted Ech2O liberally, soak that panel.

It's entirely up to you if you want to use DLux. I've found it works really well on plastics and rubber, but I prefer the CQuartz on my rims as it has a bit more gloss to it. The owner of CarPro USA has even spoken on the matter saying either works, and he prefers Cquartz on the wheels as well over DLux.

Don't worry too much and enjoy the car.

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
So I made the “merlins magic elixir” would you say that’s more of a QD or could I use as a waterless wash? I saw online 2oz of ech2o and remainder in a 32 oz bottle serves as a waterless wash. That’s pretty similar to the elixir with the addition of reload. Should I have two different bottles for different purposes? (QD vs waterless)