Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
So, a guy was thinking...

What happens if you're driving alone at a nice pace and you press the Engine on/off button? Likewise, what if you hit a door lock/unlock button on the fob in your pocket?

Would it register that you're moving and ignore the commands or shut the engine off like you turned the key? Or could the doors lock and unlock randomly?
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Theoretically the start button should not react at all to a single push while the car is moving, but it should still turn the engine off it you held it down for several seconds. I can't remember where I read that, though.
But I don't have the guts to test it myself. :giggle: :blush:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
:like:
I learned something today.

Speaking of this, a few years ago I was offered a ride in an Audi A6, and one of the first things to catch my eye was the start button - specifically, its location.

download.jpeg

Now, that's practically inviting the passenger to push it, just to see what happens. I don't know many people who could resist the urge to push it. I know I had a very hard time resisting. :cwl:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I can confirm the start button will turn off the motor while driving. It didn't require holding it down. It did start it back up though while still moving.
Strange. That was not my experience yesterday when I tried to turn the engine off/on for a quick restart to see if it got rid of the engine malfunction warning I got, as I thought it may be due simply to me coasting for a long time in neutral (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-got-a-power-train-malfunction-wrench.158743/). Ended up having to pull over to the side and stop first.

My car is also a 2020, so not related to that I guess. Could be related to manual/auto (not sure what your's is. Mine is manual), the speed I was rolling at (mine was not fast, but it was slightly above 5-7 mph I think), or the engine check alert of course.

Most sense imo would be speed related: above a few mph, disable engine stop button.

Stupid idea of mine anyway to try stop/start at speed anyway, so the "nanny" saved me from
doing something stupid there.

Sponsored

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I can confirm the start button will turn off the motor while driving. It didn't require holding it down. It did start it back up though while still moving.
What trans was this with? I can shut off the engine in my 6MT while moving, but only below ~15 mph.

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
What trans was this with? I can shut off the engine in my 6MT while moving, but only below ~15 mph.
I have an automatic and I was in drive. Hit the button and the engine cut off. Weird thing was everything else appeared to be on still. Hit the button again and engine turned back on. I kind of wish they had put it closer to the column and away from the other controls.

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have an automatic and I was in drive. Hit the button and the engine cut off. Weird thing was everything else appeared to be on still. Hit the button again and engine turned back on. I kind of wish they had put it closer to the column and away from the other controls.
Weird, I wonder why there would be a failsafe for only the manuals. FWIW, the power steering and brakes cut out pretty quickly when you do this, because it goes straight to off instead of accessory power (which it sounds like what yours did).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
question is can you bump start the car?

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
question is can you bump start the car?
I've seen it done with many push-button manuals, but never a Mustang. It should work, but haven't tried it myself.

Sponsored

celica0774

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1
I accidentally bumped the button and shut off my 2020 GT 6MT cruising at about 45mph. Managed to coast it to a parking lot while I figured out what happened and how to restart. Needed to depress the clutch and press the button, just like from a standstill.

I researched some of those start button covers to prevent it, but was unsatisfied with how they just stick on. I imagine the darn thing falling off in the summer heat of a parked car.
https://www.amazon.com/Bonbo-Engine-Button-Switch-Mustang/dp/B0855QMSVD

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Probably the same thing that happens when you shift one of the automatics into reverse while going forward. You keep going forward, your rear camera turns on, and nothing else happens. They idiot proof these cars because well..... people are stupid. The button won't do anything above a certain speed.

I don't even see how someone can accidentally press it while driving. There's nothing even near that area where your hand needs to go.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
people are stupid.
or it could be the passenger is 'entertaining' the driver while in motion and bumps something with their arm or shoulder. I wonder what the slide for this feature said on it...

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It restarted without pushing the brakes?