changing drive modes while car is moving

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
2019 GT with auto/ I read the manual pretty well but can't find the answer to this question; is it ok to switch from mormal to sport, drag,track, ice/snow, etc while the car is moving?
Sponsored

MPotter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I've got a '15 and do it. Not sure if the '19 is different. Be aware that when you change modes, it changes immediately. If I'm in Auto (not paddling) and change modes the engine rpm may change when toggling through, since the target rpm varies with speed, gear and mode.

Reactions: A7X

Grom13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT mustang
2019 GT with auto/ I read the manual pretty well but can't find the answer to this question; is it ok to switch from mormal to sport, drag,track, ice/snow, etc while the car is moving?
It’s fine to change modes while driving

Zay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you can change it, I prefer to leave it in Sport, the throttle response is very noticeable compared to normal

Sponsored

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
chit, I've been doing it all along. Nothing has blown up. Cross my fingers.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I usually try to wait until I'm driving slow or at a stop, but I don't think Ford would have allowed it to be changed while moving if it could cause any issues. I don't believe it allows you to change it while in reverse?

Deleted member 35786

You have 5yrs/60k miles to worry about that engine/powertrain so switch away....

OP
OP
rocky5517

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
I usually try to wait until I'm driving slow or at a stop, but I don't think Ford would have allowed it to be changed while moving if it could cause any issues. I don't believe it allows you to change it while in reverse?
That's kind of how I feel/ although it seems to be fine, something inside me says not to do it at, say 60 mph. I'll ask the techs at the dealership to be sure.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
That's kind of how I feel/ although it seems to be fine, something inside me says not to do it at, say 60 mph. I'll ask the techs at the dealership to be sure.
It has no negative effects to change it at any speed.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Yes you're fine to change while moving...

OP
OP
rocky5517

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
Thanks again guys/ off we go!!! BTW I've owned some cool cars in my life; 65 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible/65 Bonneville convertible/ 71 Mach 11 ( Windsor) 76 Eldorado Convt/ and more I can'ts remember ( I'm 68) but this is the best car I've ever owned

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Use logic.

This is just software changes, nothing mechanical like driving around in 4WD on the street tearing up your diffs.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I've changed drive modes many times while driving my 2018 GT PP automatic with MagneRide and also turned Advance Trac completely off and back on while driving. The only "risk" is looking down at the buttons and the instrument panel instead of watching the road. :)

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
One thing about changing the mode while driving is that it may change the steering effort, which may catch you off guard. For example if you are cruising around a curve in Normal mode with the steering effort set to Comfort, and switch it to Sport+ or Track, the steering will immediately tighten up. If you have a loose grip on the wheel I could see a possibility of that causing an issue.
Sponsored