Sponsored

Moving from D to S, S to D while moving?

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
That's interesting. My car requires me to press down on the button to go from D to S and back. :shrug:
The 2018 GT premium convertible I test drove would require it to go from D to S but not S to D.
Sponsored

Last edited:

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
You fellas should have gotten the manual. Did you know that you could shift whenever you want and hold gears as long as you want?

I am just messing around and definitely get the appeal of the auto. I'd love to experience the new 10 speed sometime.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
You fellas should have gotten the manual. Did you know that you could shift whenever you want and hold gears as long as you want?

I am just messing around and definitely get the appeal of the auto. I'd love to experience the new 10 speed sometime.
it only works as long as the forks hold up..lol and youre slower

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Toro73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt auto 400A Package factory 20's
yeah that's what I do on roll race. S go to desired gear, go woot tap it foward computer keeps on trucking. Of course on a roll if you are racing probably want to have the other toggle on Track or Sport +.

Have not tried doing a roll on drag mode though. Probably not a good idea :)

Sponsored

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
it only works as long as the forks hold up..lol and youre slower

I believe youre confusing my 2017 with a 2018.

As I said, just messing around. I'd jump at the chance to stomp the gas on the new 10 speed. I just prefer the manual while they are still around.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I believe youre confusing my 2017 with a 2018.

As I said, just messing around. I'd jump at the chance to stomp the gas on the new 10 speed. I just prefer the manual while they are still around.
they wont go away in my life time.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
yeah that's what I do on roll race. S go to desired gear, go woot tap it foward computer keeps on trucking. Of course on a roll if you are racing probably want to have the other toggle on Track or Sport +.

Have not tried doing a roll on drag mode though. Probably not a good idea :)
Roll racing in drag mode doesn't work great. Big advantage of drag mode at least for mag ride cars is the suspension change. Also hooking up off a launch. Effects are negligible for roll races. I prefer to be in sport+ with the shifter is S for roll racing. Shifts with the paddles are quicker when shifter in S and due to the bad top end of the ecoboost short shifting is a must.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Roll racing in drag mode doesn't work great. Big advantage of drag mode at least for mag ride cars is the suspension change. Also hooking up off a launch. Effects are negligible for roll races. I prefer to be in sport+ with the shifter is S for roll racing. Shifts with the paddles are quicker when shifter in S and due to the bad top end of the ecoboost short shifting is a must.
its the torque management thats different. drag mode will shift faster and harder. sport+ will try to maintain stability with a smooth shift

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
It definitely does but from my experience it's more notocible under 40 mph. Roll racing typically is at or above that so the effect is negligible imo. Maybe the gt is different as I can only give an ecoboost perspective. I only like using drag mode from a dig, just feels weird from a roll. Sport + is much better for a roll race, again just my observations

Sponsored

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
The 2018 GT premium convertible I test drop would require it to go from D to S but not S to D.
Thinking about it I think you are correct I need to push for the D to S but not for S to D. Need to check again next time

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Interesting comment on the mag ride. Does it soften the damping on the fronts so that you get more lift there to aid in weight transfer to the rear?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Stiffens the front to max and softens the rears like a drag shock setup, then after you get through like second gear (not sure on the mph) it returns to normal so you have an easier time down the 1320. Basically drag shocks for launch and through the 60 ft then normal mode down the straight.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The 2018 GT premium convertible I test drove would require it to go from D to S but not S to D.
This. The previous 6-speed auto was exactly the same. Saying you shouldn’t do this is like saying you shouldn’t use the drive mode toggle switch while moving - you aren’t changing to neutral/reverse/park, you are still in drive.
Sponsored