OP
OP

Mechanic2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Smith
Vehicle(s)
Btw I came to US not long ago so don’t know much about where to look for cars.

right now I’m just searching them online at cars.com. Do you guys have any suggestions where else should I look at?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Btw I came to US not long ago so don’t know much about where to look for cars.

right now I’m just searching them online at cars.com. Do you guys have any suggestions where else should I look at?
CarGurus and Autotrader are good sources too. Where in IL are you?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you do a 50 or 75 mile search radius in CarGurus, you should see a decent amount of options. Tons of dealerships in the area, although pickings are still a bit slim.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mechanic2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Smith
Vehicle(s)
But what price range should I be expecting for a 2018+less than 30k miles(GT premium convertible with potentially 401A package)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
But what price range should I be expecting for a 2018+less than 30k miles(GT premium convertible with potentially 401A package)
I’d say $35-$38k on low end and the high end you’re at new MSRP. In a normal environment, vert pricing starts to drop in mid/late October in the Chicago area but with limited used and new supply I’m not sure that will actually happen. If you see one you like online, run the VIN thru KBB and see what value range they give you. It’s not always the most accurate but might give you an idea of what you could negotiate to. Some dealers are willing to work out deals to move cars, others want their price and will wait it out.

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
Let's recap the OP's questions:
1) "do you guys think it’s right time to buy a mustang or the prices are still high?"

I'm in this exact position. Waiting to buy my first S550, but I still need 1 or 2 things to fall into place. My opinion is if you can wait for the chip shortage to lessen and the economy to improve, then wait. I'm planning on waiting a year, then when my added income comes through, I'll be more eager to spend the money ( I don't want to wait forever, either)

2) "would you guys recommend the 2015-2017 mustang GT or 2018-2022 GT? Why? What are your thoughts on the 6speed auto and 10speed auto?"

LOADED question! Opinions are like a* holes -- everybody is one 😁. But seriously, I'd not pay as much attention to WHAT everyone else likes, but concentrate on what *you* like (definitely pay attention to WHY people like what they like, however. You can benefit from their experiences). As for me, I decided on a 2017 GT Premium. I like aspects of both OG and 18+, but:
I like the OG ( pre face lift) doghouse better because the hood has sculpting and not flat like the 18+, even though the headlights and lower bumper area look nicer (this is a hint for the aftermarket to make an OG hood for the 18+).
I want a Renegade Series Upper Grille with Fog Lights and LED DRL Rings. Not available for 18+.
I prefer mechanical to digital dash gauges.
I can live with 25 less HP.
I can install the better looking 18+ taillights in the OG.
I've heard (unconfirmed, but a lot of complaints out there) that the automatic 10 speed is quite troublesome vs the 6 speed auto.
To each his own, so do your research and decide which direction you can live with. Truthfully, you can't lose with any year S550.

3) "FYI I found a convertible 2017 California special with 10k Mike’s on it, the guy is selling it for 37k. Is that a fair price?? Or one can get the facelift for that price?"

Depends. 3 years ago I could buy gas for a fair price of just over $2/gal. Today a fair price is $3.60/gal. You can check KBB, but I prefer researching dealer sites as they show prices on actual real world cars (KBB is an average of an imaginary car, maybe?) Auto Trader is a good source, as suggested to you. I have a saved search for my very specific Mustang on cars.com and have been watching the prices for months. Prices seem to be barely creeping down, but not enough for me yet. How bad do you want a 10K mile drop-top CS? It may be worth $37K. For you. You are the only one who can decide when to pull the trigger. As for me, I'd pay a little more for a car that was exactly what I wanted (assuming I could afford it 😜)

Highoctanecobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Concerning the change in 2018, Ford stated that the design was inspired by Darth Vader. Specifically, the angles on the front end are supposed to mimic Vader’s mask. This is the big reason it looks so sinister and bada$$, especially in black.

As I read through this thread, I see a few negative comments that could be displeasing to Lord Vader. Just something you might want to think about.
Sponsored