Why did Ford rush the 2018 facelift?

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Lol this thread. No rando who likes the look of mustangs will ever say which one is nicer looking between the 2, most won't even realize there is a difference.

As for the mechanical updates it literally boils down to A10. 460hp? sure a bit more (excluding the e85 tunes). DI? Meh. A10? yea that is what set it apart. Don't believe me? Go look for all the interesting 18+ stick record threads from all that extra power lol. The PP2 though is a great package but not as easily found

I am curious as to what updates are in the future for the A10. What comes next? Maybe not more gears but maybe DCT, more advanced converters?

The mach 1 will be tempting. That fighter jet gray with orange accents looks pretty slick
Sorry but you are vastly understating the breadth of changes in the 2018+. "It literally boils down to the A10???" Uh yeah... no. DI meh... Except for 11.0 to 12.0 compression ratio. Except for an updated intake manifold. Except for larger cylinders. Except for larger valves. Except for new pistons. Except for upgraded Cylinder Heads. Except for new exhaust. Except for Magnaride. Except for Digital Dash. Except for new Sync System. Except for suspension upgrades. Except... well my fingers grow weary:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/2017-mustang-vs-2018-mustang
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Sorry but you are vastly understating the breadth of changes in the 2018+. "It literally boils down to the A10???" Uh yeah... no. DI meh... Except for 11.0 to 12.0 compression ratio. Except for an updated intake manifold. Except for larger cylinders. Except for larger valves. Except for new pistons. Except for upgraded Cylinder Heads. Except for new exhaust. Except for Magnaride. Except for Digital Dash. Except for new Sync System. Except for suspension upgrades. Except... well my fingers grow weary:

Add higher lifts cams too.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

And ceratec ... :cwl:

WD :like:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m messing, I have a facelift :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
That falls under my fingers growing weary lol. Needless to say, there were a ton of upgrades to the car. Not saying the pre-18's suck or anything, but there was a lot of work done and the vast majority of it was positive.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS

No I pretty much summed it up perfectly. I did say without E85 tuning which pretty much covers the advantages of DI, higher compression...etc. It makes more power, that's fine, the refreshes usually do from various reasons like you said.. New magneride I will admit I forgot about but that's because it was an option many didn't go with and it wasn't the option that made others trade in their old models for (maybe a few did but a slim pecentage).

The main reason people are head over heels for their 2018+ is their A10, followed closely by a much smaller amount by the power potential when you have it tuned for E85. I say much smaller because the % that mod their cars is small and it's an even smaller % that has access to E85 in the big picture. Sorry you get so tired after writing a paragraph lol

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
No I pretty much summed it up perfectly. I did say without E85 tuning which pretty much covers the advantages of DI, higher compression...etc. It makes more power, that's fine, the refreshes usually do from various reasons like you said.. New magneride I will admit I forgot about but that's because it was an option many didn't go with and it wasn't the option that made others trade in their old models for (maybe a few did but a slim pecentage).

The main reason people are head over heels for their 2018+ is their A10, followed closely by a much smaller amount by the power potential when you have it tuned for E85. I say much smaller because the % that mod their cars is small and it's an even smaller % that has access to E85 in the big picture. Sorry you get so tired after writing a paragraph lol
IE: You have a 2017 and so you want to minimize the vast amount of exterior, interior, engine, suspension, exhaust, electronic and transmission related upgrades in the 2018+. You win.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
All I can say is thank heavens for the Mach 1 front, Ford finally made a 2018+ that looks good :bandit:

Actually very disappointed they didn't release it in 2018 for the GT and tweak it for the Mach 1.

Wonder if you can buy a Mach 1 front without a Mach1 VIN, and whether it'll be economical to put it on a GT.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom line, as explained in the great post by @amk91 the 2018 refresh wasn't "rushed" by design. Originally, there were plans for a 2nd refresh in MY21, which they abandoned when deciding to move the S650 up to MY21. Then the CEO change and the S650 eventually got pushed back to MY23. (By that time it was too late to go back to doing a 2nd refresh.) The post provides great insight on how far in advance of actual release that these decisions are made and designs are completed.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335

I think what he is summarizing is all that simply adds up to another 25 HP and a slightly stronger engine. I don't think it matters to a lot of people how the engine makes the power. It's basically 435HP vs 460HP.

What did they change in the Sync System? I thought they were the same if you just did the free update on the software.
Sponsored